Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by aries
Much like this thread . . .
Yes exactly
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Well, from a financial point of view the team from moneyweek think it's even worse than bad. A short film........

http://pro.moneyweek.com/myk-eob-tpr...taboola&h=true

Probably of more interest to those who are concerned about long term personal finance for themselves and their families. A bit disappointed there was a sales pitch for the magazine at the end of the film. Nonetheless there are several points in the film worthy of discussion for those that care about the UK's future.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails Is the situation in the UK really that bad?-dads-army-frazier-doomed.png  
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked

Come now! You concentrate on the negative! You can hardly have a shot (the inevitable one..) at another poster for doing the opposite!
At least be honest.
Its interesting but it seems to acceptable to be overly (or indeed totally) negative but unacceptable to be seen as overly positive
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Its interesting but it seems to acceptable to be overly (or indeed totally) negative but unacceptable to be seen as overly positive
In this thread, I don't think that's true in fact if anything, I'd say negative views have been more ridiculed or cause for insult over the course of the many pages of posts.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Well, from a financial point of view the team from moneyweek think it's even worse than bad. A short film........

Probably of more interest to those who are concerned about long term personal finance for themselves and their families. A bit disappointed there was a sales pitch for the magazine at the end of the film. Nonetheless there are several points in the film worthy of discussion for those that care about the UK's future.
I couldn't watch it to the end (couldn't tell how long it was but I think I gave up after about 10 minutes). I didn't think the tone of the presentation inspired credibility (it overdid the "Shock!" Horror!" headlines) - many of the economic statistics they presented have been either explicitly available or easily calculable for some time. They are undoubtedly scary, though the implications vary depending on your life stage and personal wealth (and where your money is - the future for the stock market isn't assured by a long shot, and being mortgage-free is probably a better bet in the long run than plonking all your money in stocks and shares).

My first lecture on statistics to the undergraduate students involves them doing calculations on data available on national debt, deficit, areas of public spending, etc., using much of the information that's readily available. It shocks the hell out of them.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Making comparisons with other countries is irresistible and inevitable, isn't it?
Considering I was responding to a post that made a comparison between the UK and the Eurozone, breaking down the other poster's comparison to actual countries is valid. It wasn't me who initiated such comparisons.
I know what the poster is trying to prove....
Yes, as I said I was not attempting to prove anything with the post to which you refer.
Come now! You concentrate on the negative! You can hardly have a shot (the inevitable one..) at another poster for doing the opposite!
At least be honest.
I have been honest. I've said that some posters only seem to be able to post about what could be considered ok or good when asked about the situation of the UK and not give a fuller picture. Both the good and bad are needed in making decisions.

I also said that I've previously mentioned on this thread the situation in the UK will improve. I've also agreed that there isn't a definite answer for everyone, and it depends on a number of things including stage of life, and the situation that you find yourself in after you've returned.

Why is it more acceptable to you for someone to shout NO as their answer, than it is to recognise there isn't a definitive answer for everyone, and it is dependent on numerous factors?
That's quite amusing, you turning around what is happening on this thread like that. It is quite clear that a number of posters on this thread are unable to even accept the possibility that there might be negatives with the UK. I have pointed some out in order to balance this thread a bit, and they are simply dismissed even when evidence is given - which is more than has often been offered by certain posters including yourself.

I notice that you haven't responded to a previous question about a statement you made. Are you able validate your statement?
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You said countries that avoided recession had seen rapid growth of food banks, the growth of pay day loan shops, bookmakers and charity shops.

Again, which countries would those be?
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

What do you mean .. A SHORT film?? It goes on forever. I eventually threw in the towel after about forty five minutes. As far as I could see, the only solution to the crisis is to buy a subscription to Money Week??
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
What do you mean .. A SHORT film?? It goes on forever. I eventually threw in the towel after about forty five minutes. As far as I could see, the only solution to the crisis is to buy a subscription to Money Week??
Yes I think you hit the nail on the head
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head
IF I'm successful in moving back to England, I think I will buy a subscription to Money Week. Spend my time walking on the beach, visiting medieval churches & National Trust properties, enjoying pub lunches ... Gotta have some grief in my life, I should read Money Week.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 4:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
IF I'm successful in moving back to England, I think I will buy a subscription to Money Week. Spend my time walking on the beach, visiting medieval churches & National Trust properties, enjoying pub lunches ... Gotta have some grief in my life, I should read Money Week.
Wise choice, for those times you dont want to be enjoying your life and the Daily Mail just wont hit the spot
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Meaning UK has unemployment above a number of countries in the Eurozone. Let's see what some of these unemployment rates are:

Austria 4.8%
Germany 5.3%
Luxembourg 5.7%
Malta 6%
Netherlands 7%

Outside of the Eurozone, but still in the EU we have:

Denmark 6.7%
Czech Republic 6.8%
Romania 7.5%

Outside of the EU, but still in the EEA we also have:

Iceland 5.5%

The 7.7% in the UK is not good by itself, it's also not good when looking at quite a few other nearby countries.

(figures taken from eurostat)
I believe the conversation was about job creation, not unemployment. Thank you at least for accepting that the rate of job creation is 700 percent higher than you thought. (In fact over time it is higher still).

Only TWO of the countries you quote have employment rates higher than the UK. Most are less, some very substantially so.

The EU average rate of unemployment is 12.10 or 13.0 depending on which figures you use. The Eurozone rate of unemployment is 11.0 percent.
More specifically - France 10.9. Italy 12.0, Portugal 16.4, Spain 25.3 but youth unemployment 56!!!) (dropping fast as people emigrate to find jobs) Greece 28.
Compared to the UK that looks pretty bad to me. And, I suspect, to everyone else.

The ONLY person trying to paint a one sided picture is you. Neither I, nor any other poster that I have read, maintains that everything is rosy in the UK. It is not. Life IS hard on state support mechanisms, but the underlying truth is that there is far more chance of getting a job in the UK than just about anywhere else.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I believe the conversation was about job creation, not unemployment. Thank you at least for accepting that the rate of job creation is 700 percent higher than you thought. (In fact over time it is higher still).

Only TWO of the countries you quote have employment rates higher than the UK. Most are less, some very substantially so.

The EU average rate of unemployment is 12.10 or 13.0 depending on which figures you use. The Eurozone rate of unemployment is 11.0 percent.
More specifically - France 10.9. Italy 12.0, Portugal 16.4, Spain 25.3 but youth unemployment 56!!!) (dropping fast as people emigrate to find jobs) Greece 28.
Compared to the UK that looks pretty bad to me. And, I suspect, to everyone else.

The ONLY person trying to paint a one sided picture is you. Neither I, nor any other poster that I have read, maintains that everything is rosy in the UK. It is not. Life IS hard on state support mechanisms, but the underlying truth is that there is far more chance of getting a job in the UK than just about anywhere else.
In fairness this all started when I dared to say that the UK rate of unemployment is lower than the Eurozone average, which it is.
I have certainly never said all is rosy but it is far more rewarding celebrating the good positive things and let a few others dwell on the not so good. Like literally everywhere there is good and bad but lets face it overall there is much more good than bad in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the conversation was about job creation, not unemployment.
Do keep up. The post of mine you're referring to was a reply to the post quoted in it which was about unemployment rates. Here is that post that I replied to:
Unemployment in the UK is well below the Eurozone average and continuing to trend down.
Thank you at least for accepting that the rate of job creation is 700 percent higher than you thought. (In fact over time it is higher still).
Where did I say that? In fact, please tell me what I apparently thought job creation was? You seem to be plucking things out of the air here.
As I said, I was simply breaking down the unemployment stats of another poster. Their post was simply about unemployment rates, therefore mine was too. Not sure why you're attempting to aim this at me, when it wasn't me who introduced unemployment rates in this other group of countries.
Woohoo, the PIIGS have higher unemployment than the UK - no surprise there. Out of those, France is probably the only one to note, yet other countries to note are in the list I posted - Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Denmark.
Oh wait, was that an admission that not everything in the UK is good? Finally!

As I've said, some posters on here (including you) have only gone on how great it is in the UK, and if anything is shown as negative then it is jumped upon and torn apart. Even when stats and articles are shown to evidence the negative aspects, which has happened in far more posts to show negative things than it has for positive.

I'm not sure how you can say I'm trying to paint a one sided picture - I've posted negative articles and stats for the UK as it currently stands, however I have also stated that I believe things will improve for the UK and that there is not a definitive answer to the question for everyone (i.e. yes or no (or should that be NO?)).
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've succeeded, Roaringmouse - I've lost the will to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.