Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

I would just like to say the answer is still most definitely NO
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
It's so annoying isn't it? Maybe they weren't meant for cars at all do you think? There is nothing worse than parking in a new build garage, and not being able to open the doors. They should advise people to have a convertible or cars that have an opening roof.

Had no idea about the garage. As someone who loves to park my car in the garage in the winter especially when it snows, not being able to do when I return will definitely take major adjustment
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Had no idea about the garage. As someone who loves to park my car in the garage in the winter especially when it snows, not being able to do when I return will definitely take major adjustment
If you get a car with a heated windscreen it's not too bad. There's not usually much snow unless you're oop north.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:50 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I might have difficulty with that too, but I have adapted quite nicely and don't even think about having a garage for my car.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:58 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If you get a car with a heated windscreen it's not too bad. There's not usually much snow unless you're oop north.
I'm sorta "oop north", but a teuchtar would consider me to be in the south.. I like not having a garage because it limits the amount of stuff that can be accumulated.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt worry too much, not all garages are small by any means.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:05 am
Just Joined

PuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to beholdPuginAKL is a splendid one to behold

For me, it's a Yes.

I've been on the front line of Social Work for a couple of years now and in the last 18 months there's been a noticeable increase in indices of socio-economic deprivation levels, in particular in my region the North West.

Latest census data from the Salford area in which I work show that while there's been a move away from the general poverty in some regards, a sizable chunk of society is at the level of three of indices of deprivation and a large amount of people have moved to level two and four also. What this tells us is that although some have been able to remove themselves from significant poverty classification one, a large amount of those who were previously identified as experiencing two or more levels of deprivation previously have either stayed in this clasification or moved to higher levels of need. Basically, the people who were in serious need of support are still there or become worse; therefore aspects of our society are now experiencing engrained poverty. The UK's rapidly becoming the land of have and have nots. The gap between the North and South is as big as ever. So while in the South East some folks are getting on well, you have to look at the national picture to get an idea of how the UK's getting on in regards to deprivation, it's not great in my view.

Also food banks usage has sky-rocketed of late. This is also a pretty clear sign that things are getting tight for people.

We're now getting the zero hour contracts, 'bedroom' tax, putting people claiming DLA through a test to put them into pain to prove they are disabled even if the disability is never going to improve (i.e MS), universal credit, privatisation of services and increased tax breaks for corporations. While some of these critiques do stem from my particular political viewpoint, that's all I can work with, and for me the direction the UK is heading in now is not a great one.

Given that our PM gave a speech in which he justified out standing in the world as being the producers of One Direction, I feel a bit pessimistic about the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PuginAKL
For me, it's a Yes.

I've been on the front line of Social Work for a couple of years now and in the last 18 months there's been a noticeable increase in indices of socio-economic deprivation levels, in particular in my region the North West.

Latest census data from the Salford area in which I work show that while there's been a move away from the general poverty in some regards, a sizable chunk of society is at the level of three of indices of deprivation and a large amount of people have moved to level two and four also. What this tells us is that although some have been able to remove themselves from significant poverty classification one, a large amount of those who were previously identified as experiencing two or more levels of deprivation previously have either stayed in this clasification or moved to higher levels of need. Basically, the people who were in serious need of support are still there or become worse; therefore aspects of our society are now experiencing engrained poverty. The UK's rapidly becoming the land of have and have nots. The gap between the North and South is as big as ever. So while in the South East some folks are getting on well, you have to look at the national picture to get an idea of how the UK's getting on in regards to deprivation, it's not great in my view.

Also food banks usage has sky-rocketed of late. This is also a pretty clear sign that things are getting tight for people.

We're now getting the zero hour contracts, 'bedroom' tax, putting people claiming DLA through a test to put them into pain to prove they are disabled even if the disability is never going to improve (i.e MS), universal credit, privatisation of services and increased tax breaks for corporations. While some of these critiques do stem from my particular political viewpoint, that's all I can work with, and for me the direction the UK is heading in now is not a great one.

Given that our PM gave a speech in which he justified out standing in the world as being the producers of One Direction, I feel a bit pessimistic about the UK.
I have not one shred of a doubt that everything you say is true.(The 'but' will follow shortly), you are a coal face social worker, and you quote the Salford area, -(and of course there are so very many areas of the UK with the same socio economic problems). I have no doubt that you know better than many.

The thread title is 'Is the situation in the UK really that bad?' It was a simple enough question, but it invites a generalized view. That question encompasses the whole of the UK. For so many in so many areas-the answer is no.

I only wish that 'compared to' had been added. What you describe (yup! here's the comparison)- is going on in Australia (and I can only speak about Australia).
The richest woman on the planet is Australian-this odious creature was wealthy enough to put a Prime Ministerial speech to camera using her own crew-suggesting that Australian workers should be happy working for $2 per hour 'like they do in South Africa'.

It wasn't just the stunning apathy here that there was little reaction to this that shook me-it's that she was confident she was right. Filthy disgustingly rich--not hard to see why. My point is-that that rich/poor gap is prevalent here-and I know it is the same in the US.

A sign of an increasingly struggling society is when private no credit check companies show up on TV offering to 'help',-when charities publicize that they cannot meet demand etc.
Queensland has now introduced a bedroom tax I believe.

Do we now say: well poverty in Australia is not the same poverty as in the UK, it is SSS poverty (sun/surf/sand), so it's a better class of poverty?

Do you realise that people can no longer throw another prawn on the barbie? They have to share the one prawn between the entire family...
(Just my pathetic attempt at levity).

Look,-I accept the question is about the UK. My point is that the question is always about the UK.
It is that what is happening in the UK is happening everywhere. Very few if any countries have full employment and prosperity.

It even sounds unthinkable to say 'Is the situation in Australia/Spain/Italy......Greece../ et al, really that bad?'

As for Macaroon and No Direction-he's a polishitun, we shouldn't mock the afflicted.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:56 am
Banned

Yep, spot on. The situation for some in the UK is bad as it is for some in Australia, America, Spain or wherever else. Judging by what I see day to day the situation for the majority most definitely is not bad and in reality that is probably the best any country can wish for. The thing I struggle with is the belief that someone will find a better quality of life in another country when they would actually get that better life 100 miles down the road.
As Emporer says Australia has the same issues, everywhere has the same issues to one degree or another.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by aishlinakyle
Well it really sad to hear this.
Sad to hear what?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Look,-I accept the question is about the UK. My point is that the question is always about the UK.
It is that what is happening in the UK is happening everywhere. Very few if any countries have full employment and prosperity.

It even sounds unthinkable to say 'Is the situation in Australia/Spain/Italy......Greece../ et al, really that bad?'
Funny that, considering this question about the UK is in the Moving back to the UK forum. I wouldn't have thought anyone considering a return to the UK would be thinking much about the state of affairs in the countries you mention, unless they currently live in one of them.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PuginAKL
For me, it's a Yes.

.......... but don't confuse the poverty of want with the poverty of need.

I would add to growth of food banks, the growth of pay day loan shops, bookmakers and charity shops as indicators to show that all is not well for a large section of the population.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I would add to growth of food banks, the growth of pay day loan shops, bookmakers and charity shops as indicators to show that all is not well for a large section of the population.
Indeed, and the growth of these can also be seen in areas of the country that are considered more affluent such as the southeast.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:55 pm
Banned

All those things have grown rapidly even in countries that apparently avoided recession, just seems to be a sign of the times.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
All those things have grown rapidly even in countries that apparently avoided recession, just seems to be a sign of the times.
Which countries would those be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.