Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, Australia versus England is uninteresting to me (outside of cricket...)
I think it's entirely possible that 'Australia vs England' is uninteresting to more than just you here
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I think it's entirely possible that 'Australia vs England' is uninteresting to more than just you here
Sends me to sleep, anyway.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:20 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Yawn.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Australia for a period back in the 80's & here I was thinking Canada was the big wide open spaces. What amazes me about OZ is the fact that its so big with relatively low population the cost of running the infrastructure must be huge cost per person compared to the UK. Also the distribution of wealth by state must also be wide & varied. From family that live in OZ since 1970 they tell me life is grand, way better than living in the UK. The fact that the minimum wage is over $15/hr, some things are more expensive than the UK but their money I'm told goes further. The OZ GDP is approx $67k (42k GBP) which seems a decent amount. Then again the bank rate is high as is the mortgage rates. The OZ old age pension as well as support supplements also appear to be better than those in the UK?

I understand the grass is not always greener in other places (through rose tint glasses) - that people live their lives the way they want, may at times complain &/or compare to others & other places - but in the end its whats best for the individual. After all there are (and I don't know this for sure) more ex-pats still out there than have returned back to blighty in the past 25 years.

Don't know who came up with the phrase 'whinging pom', it seems to me it has a stigma about it

Last edited by not2old; Aug 15th 2013 at 6:20 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 6:54 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, Australia versus England is uninteresting to me (outside of cricket...) so I was making a more general point here about the difficulties of comparing levels of household debt between countries.
All Western economies are the same, is what I should say to be more clear. My point is about the economic model, not Australia versus the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 7:31 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
If I put collar up and trilby down, I might make it past Dover..

I know this one!!!!! Honeymoon phrase, and rose tints

It might take you awhile to settle back in, expecially if you have been away along time.
But if this is where you want to be,all you need is a big smile and a sense of humour.........
Old Aug 15th 2013, 7:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
It might take you awhile to settle back in, especially if you have been away along time.
But if this is where you want to be,all you need is a big smile and a sense of humour.........
humming .... not so sure about that cos as an ex-pat (in my case) one sort of becomes skeptical
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:04 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well you raise an interesting point.

Sure, high street shops close down. Why wouldn't they, since there are shopping centres and big box stores out of town. I like to see small independent stores on the high street when I return to England, but I shop in the out of town shopping centres like everyone else. Time marches on in the UK, even while we live abroad for years or decades ... that's a sign the old place is still alive and kicking! And, the fact that new immigrants want to come is also a sign that Britain is in good nick!
depends what it's like where they've come from though , that's worth remembering.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:08 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
depends what it's like where they've come from though , that's worth remembering.
I guess there's not much big box shopping in Romania?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:20 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
humming .... not so sure about that cos as an ex-pat (in my case) one sort of becomes skeptical
It depends whats important....we all have our own reasons for leaving and for returning...Sometimes we have to leave, to appreciate what we have left

We often get conditioned into believing we have to make do with our lot ...If its not right, change it.....Cos we can
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

I was in Australia for a period back in the 80's & here I was thinking Canada was the big wide open spaces. What amazes me about OZ is the fact that its so big with relatively low population the cost of running the infrastructure must be huge cost per person compared to the UK. Also the distribution of wealth by state must also be wide & varied. From family that live in OZ since 1970 they tell me life is grand, way better than living in the UK. The fact that the minimum wage is over $15/hr, some things are more expensive than the UK but their money I'm told goes further. The OZ GDP is approx $67k (42k GBP) which seems a decent amount. Then again the bank rate is high as is the mortgage rates. The OZ old age pension as well as support supplements also appear to be better than those in the UK?

I understand the grass is not always greener in other places (through rose tint glasses) - that people live their lives the way they want, may at times complain &/or compare to others & other places - but in the end its whats best for the individual. After all there are (and I don't know this for sure) more ex-pats still out there than have returned back to blighty in the past 25 years.

Don't know who came up with the phrase 'whinging pom', it seems to me it has a stigma about it
I was living on Vancouver Island ( stunning place), was shopping in one of the Malls ....When i returned to my car ( mini cooper) i found an elderly man stood admiring my car..., turns out he was a Brit, been in Canada since the early 60's...after listening to him for about 30 mins , i said you sound like you would like to go back...he said " My dear i have been wanting to go back since the day i arrived"
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:12 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by sans
I was living on Vancouver Island ( stunning place), was shopping in one of the Malls ....When i returned to my car ( mini cooper) i found an elderly man stood admiring my car..., turns out he was a Brit, been in Canada since the early 60's...after listening to him for about 30 mins , i said you sound like you would like to go back...he said " My dear i have been wanting to go back since the day i arrived"
the moto to that is ... 'they no longer make mini coopers like they used to' or anything else for that matter. Everyone can dream - few can make the leap of faith ... broooommmmm
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

At least savers are getting a return in Oz. In the UK savers who did the right thing are getting money stolen though negative real interest rates, all to bail out the reckless. Its so immoral
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:47 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
At least savers are getting a return in Oz. In the UK savers who did the right thing are getting money stolen though negative real interest rates, all to bail out the reckless. Its so immoral
They'll go to 0.5% in Australia soon enough. All the economies are equally dysfunctional. Australia was protected for a time because it could sell a lot of dirt to China. Now that is over.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 6:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
You cant have it both ways, you either save with lower mortgages or through higher interest rates for your savings. I think most people that are paying off a house would vote for lower mortgage rates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.