Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
The problem is personal debt is even worse in Australia so dont go there, America would be last on my list, NZ is very nice but all the same problems. Im happy for all the moaners to jump ship its just the list of desirable destinations is getting shorter and decidedly more foreign

not too many places for the working age people to go to Chris - much all are the same with similar debt, wealth (or the lack of it), taxes and unemployment. Utopia is hard to find & besides government in general & corporations are all crooks IMO.

As for those ex-pat's getting on in years or retirees considering or having returned back to the UK I would think these are a minority to those that are still living abroad.

As a retired person, i've been looking not just at the UK but also at Malta & Eire as other options to spend retirement years. The world is a small place

The BE forums are a wonderful source of information & discussion reading peoples lives & events they share.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
what about John Major?
the puppet on a string yes
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:42 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
You have just shattered my dreams! I was hoping to see some poopy trees on my return (Anglaiterii Caniae Excreterii)
Bless ya hun....We only have posh trees in North Linc's ......Our pussy cats bury there own poop and youth offenders scrape gum off the pavements Theres a big sign at Dover saying GO AWAY.. we are full

But peeps keep on coming in..and they dont seem to want to leave, for the life of me i carn't think why.....
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Im not really sure what this has to do with my quoted comment to be honest? I didnt say people dont have debt.
I was just illustrating the level of debt in the UK and how the economy is built upon it. A bit of facts and figures never hurt anyone, and I thought it was interesting reading.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by not2old
not too many places for the working age people to go to Chris - much all are the same with similar debt, wealth (or the lack of it), taxes and unemployment. Utopia is hard to find & besides government in general & corporations are all crooks IMO.

As for those ex-pat's getting on in years or retirees considering or having returned back to the UK I would think these are a minority to those that are still living abroad.

As a retired person, i've been looking not just at the UK but also at Malta & Eire as other options to spend retirement years. The world is a small place

The BE forums are a wonderful source of information & discussion reading peoples lives & events they share.

the puppet on a string yes
I would agree that these countries all have high debt. Not every country looks like a basketcase and could in time, pay it back. Eire possibly by exit from the euro and re-issuing of punts and devaluation. I don't know what will save the UK after the housing bubble has been blown up again. Is there any money left for yet another bail out?

Last edited by martinw01908; Aug 14th 2013 at 9:05 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I would agree that these countries all have high debt. Not every country looks like a basketcase and could in time, pay it back. Eire possibly by exit from the euro and re-issuing of punts and devaluation. I don't know what will save the UK after the housing bubble has been blown up again. Is there any money left for yet another bail out?
I thought the rest of the world was as bad if not worse than the UK?

On saving the UK - just wait for the next change of government, it'll be a whole new set of issues for folks to bite their teeth into and whinge about.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:19 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is personal debt is even worse in Australia so dont go there, America would be last on my list, NZ is very nice but all the same problems. Im happy for all the moaners to jump ship its just the list of desirable destinations is getting shorter and decidedly more foreign
Household debt in relation to GDP ratio is 147% in Australia, and 172% in the United Kingdom, so worse in the latter. Both are dangerously unsustainable and kept from collapsing only with voodoo Ponzi economics.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Bless ya hun....We only have posh trees in North Linc's ......Our pussy cats bury there own poop and youth offenders scrape gum off the pavements Theres a big sign at Dover saying GO AWAY.. we are full

But peeps keep on coming in..and they dont seem to want to leave, for the life of me i carn't think why.....
If I put collar up and trilby down, I might make it past Dover..

I know this one!!!!! Honeymoon phrase, and rose tints
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Household debt in relation to GDP ratio is 147% in Australia, and 172% in the United Kingdom, so worse in the latter. Both are dangerously unsustainable and kept from collapsing only with voodoo Ponzi economics.
So? Australia 1 UK 0. Got it.

Olympic gold for PTFurthest...
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I thought the rest of the world was as bad if not worse than the UK?

On saving the UK - just wait for the next change of government, it'll be a whole new set of issues for folks to bite their teeth into and whinge about.
Yes, spot on with both points.
Some love their links so here is a good one, Australia appears to have the highest level of household debt in the developed world.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013...bt-manageable/
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, spot on with both points.
Some love their links so here is a good one, Australia appears to have the highest level of household debt in the developed world.
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013...bt-manageable/
...................just preempting...

So? UK 1 Australia 0. Got it.

I already awarded the gold. I should have waited until the 137th page...
Still; it's all good fun innit?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I will still argue that "all debt is not the same". Debt is inevitably higher in countries where home ownership is more common. And unsecured debt is more risky than secured debt. For example, Germany has relatively low rates of home ownership so its debt to GDP ratio is low for household debt. That's why I think it's important to understand the ratio of mortgage debt to property values in different countries: the higher that ratio then obviously the more risky that debt is. And I certainly agree that in Britain, at least, we're seeing the government attempt to prop up property values via its loan scheme. I see that the IMF isn't exactly impressed with this and it could all end in tears as others have pointed out.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:40 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:42 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I will still argue that "all debt is not the same". Debt is inevitably higher in countries where home ownership is more common. For example, Germany has relatively low rates of home ownership so its debt to GDP ratio is low for household debt. That's why I think it's important to understand the ratio of mortgage debt to property values in different countries: the higher that ratio then obviously the more risky that debt is. And I certainly agree that in Britain, at least, we're seeing the government attempt to prop up property values via its loan scheme. I see that the IMF isn't exactly impressed with this and it could all end in tears as others have pointed out.
I see very few differences between Australia and Britain in terms of any of the big money factors like household debt per GDP, housing Ponzi schemes, etc. Australia is a much richer country, but that wealth is not used to "under-write" the nation, and simply pours out of it via private ownership of the very weakly taxed mining companies.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I see very few differences between Australia and Britain in terms of any of the big money factors like household debt per GDP, housing Ponzi schemes, etc. Australia is a much richer country, but that wealth is not used to "under-write" the nation, and simply pours out of it via private ownership of the very weakly taxed mining companies.
Well, Australia versus England is uninteresting to me (outside of cricket...) so I was making a more general point here about the difficulties of comparing levels of household debt between countries.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Basically its all a ponzi, world over to which we are players. Each country that can has sought to attract as many immigrants as possible to prime the pump.

Now there is a period of selection as the issue has become more politicized, until it starts all again. Its all cycles.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Basically its all a ponzi, world over to which we are players. Each country that can has sought to attract as many immigrants as possible to prime the pump.

Now there is a period of selection as the issue has become more politicized, until it starts all again. Its all cycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.