Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I think your Dad is looking at the worst of it. We can all do that no matter where we live. My family always like to moan when I speak to them but they seem to have a pretty good life in fact its a very good life. They constantly go on holidays abroad and then when home make visits to London and to either the museums or theatre. They know how to find cheap weekend tickets. Do your own research and then go for it.
Totally agree and back to the crux of the mattter. From what I can see just like anywhere most people have a good comfortable life, are happy, go on holiday, nice cars blah blah blah. Of course there are those struggling, just like anywhere.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Totally agree and back to the crux of the mattter. From what I can see just like anywhere most people have a good comfortable life, are happy, go on holiday, nice cars blah blah blah. Of course there are those struggling, just like anywhere.
+1

We've been on vacation in the UK this past few months this is what we see.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
+1

We've been on vacation in the UK this past few months this is what we see.
And it didnt need 100's of irrelevant links
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zen10
I agree totally with all that but not with your generous speculation abut Thatcher. Remember it was she who deregulated the banks in London and caused the "Big Bang". I don't think she would have any problem in doing what you say she would never do.
Disagree - why? Remember she was last in office in 1991. She removed some regulation from banks, but not on the scale that the banks had been deregulated by 2007. Everything which happened did so under the watch of Gordon Brown from the moment he became chancellor of the exchequer in 1997, and right up until months before the cash/crisis/crunch/bank runs he was arguing for even more bank deregulation! Many people had warned Brown about the toxic loans , but he did not act to protect our banking system and dismissed these people as doomsayers - encouraged banks to act more recklessly.

Thatcher understood about the dangers and moral hazard of running high levels of government debt and the interference in free markets, she just would not have done this at all! Then again in the 1980's the world was far less corrupt as today. Now all MP's are in it only for themselves, and to win an election at the expense of the long term future of the UK and peoples children.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
Disagree - why? Remember she was last in office in 1991. She removed some regulation from banks, but not on the scale that the banks had been deregulated by 2007. Everything which happened did so under the watch of Gordon Brown from the moment he became chancellor of the exchequer in 1997, and right up until months before the cash/crisis/crunch/bank runs he was arguing for even more bank deregulation! Many people had warned Brown about the toxic loans , but he did not act to protect our banking system and dismissed these people as doomsayers - encouraged banks to act more recklessly.

Thatcher understood about the dangers and moral hazard of running high levels of government debt and the interference in free markets, she just would not have done this at all! Then again in the 1980's the world was far less corrupt as today. Now all MP's are in it only for themselves, and to win an election at the expense of the long term future of the UK and peoples children.
So how is deregulation "interference in free markets"? Surely the reverse is true?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

And it didnt need 100's of irrelevant links

Yes, it is easier to judge this sort of thing on the ground than in cyberspace.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you know Thatcher is responsible for all of the world's ills and every politician who has come since has been completely innocent of any contribution to the UK's current financial state? Didn't you get the memo?

I'd apologize for taking the thread off-topic but it hasn't been on-topic since about Page 2. I think the title should be changed to "Who can pee the furthest?"
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't you know Thatcher is responsible for all of the world's ills and every politician who has come since has been completely innocent of any contribution to the UK's current financial state? Didn't you get the memo?

I'd apologize for taking the thread off-topic but it hasn't been on-topic since about Page 2. I think the title should be changed to "Who can pee the furthest?"
To be a bit more positive and objective, I suggest this is changed to:

"Mustn't grumble at least its not as bad as Burkina Faso". Apologies to Burkina Faso expats.com in advance.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:59 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caruthers
To be a bit more positive and objective, I suggest this is changed to:

"Mustn't grumble at least its not as bad as Burkina Faso". Apologies to Burkina Faso expats.com in advance.
Burkina Faso is stunningly wonderful - everyone should go there.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It has a topic?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Those holidays and nice cars are financed by debt.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Oh sorry I should have checked
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Those holidays and nice cars are financed by debt.
Been in debt since I was at college under thatcher. Not gonna change now and I figure I'll enjoy what I can while I'm here.
However my sister and her family - in the UK - are currently enjoying a lovely holiday, in the Welsh sunshine, nice cottage, meals out etc - none of it on credit, all paid for by BiL working. Not everyone lives on credit it seems....
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:18 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Been in debt since I was at college under thatcher. Not gonna change now and I figure I'll enjoy what I can while I'm here.
However my sister and her family - in the UK - are currently enjoying a lovely holiday, in the Welsh sunshine, nice cottage, meals out etc - none of it on credit, all paid for by BiL working. Not everyone lives on credit it seems....
Well there you go, I was better off under Thatcher, so it's horses for courses.
So, to summarise (to save people reading 34 pages), the UK is
Great or crap
Full of beautiful countryside or housing estates
Full of lovely people or scrotes
Work is obtainable or not
House prices are cheap if you come from New Zealand, but not if you come from France.
Did I cover everything?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Well there you go, I was better off under Thatcher, so it's horses for courses.
So, to summarise (to save people reading 34 pages), the UK is
Great or crap
Full of beautiful countryside or housing estates
Full of lovely people or scrotes
Work is obtainable or not
House prices are cheap if you come from New Zealand, but not if you come from France.
Did I cover everything?
The NHS is great or a "death panel".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.