Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I know that Pollyanna, I'm surprised that you directed this response to me.
I do not agree that it would be the same if it was handed to expats in Australia though, the success of BE is that it is international though US based.
The great thing about it is those expats all over the world.

Returning to the UK is the domain of anyone of us I know, but it gets overrun on the Aus-UK basis for a specific reason that does not seem to affect those resident in other countries.
I wish it did not.
I quoted you because you were the one who mentioned it being US based, but its directed at antone who wants to read it. I don't think that makes one jot of difference to it. The majority of members neither know nor care where the server is hosted - thats obvious from the fact that most people don't know anything of BE's history, and a lot of people in the Aus forum are surprised when told that it was started by Expats in the US - I know that cos its often me doing the telling
Many other posters arrive here via google links to specific threads and are amazed to discover after some time on the site that its larger than the (for example) Spain/India/Police/Trucking forum that they are in. It would work no matter where the Expats with the original ideas were - its the concept and the input from posters that makes it work after all
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I have to agree with this....

EDIT:......though I am completely aware of exactly what is going on..
Maybe you can give me the precis version because it doesn't seem obvious to me.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You find more negative links because you selectively look for them.....you have been doing it for months if not years. I do not think you have any intention of moving back....you are just continuing your trolling on this Part of the forum
Wrong guesswork again. I post links because they have been or are currently part of my ongoing research into whether to return to the UK or not. Some links are of more value to some than they are to others, that should really go without saying, but it would be very arrogant of me to try and decide which ones people could or could not benefit from, would it not?

I firmly believe in doing as much due diligence about my next move as possible, not only because I read so many posts from people who have moved back to the UK and are unhappy, or indeed emigrate to other countries and remain unhappy, but stuck there wanting to return to the UK for whatever reason, many much poorer both financially and/or socially that I feel that if they had done more due diligence before their move they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now i.e. killing time wishing they were somewhere else.

I personally include myself in part of the last paragraph. Due diligence may or may not have changed my mind to move to the USA, but it certainly would have lessened some of the blows I had to take in my first few years here. Alas, no internet back then.

So less of the ad hominem attacks and let the thread flow with what the OP asked in the thread header. He like yourself, can choose to take advantage or them or ignore them.

P.S. I personally would prefer if we stuck to the OP's question. He didn't after all ask, "Is the situation in the UK really as bad as Australia?" but, its an open forum and I respect people's right to post their view point, even if it's not relevant to the original question. After all, who am I to dictate what people post?

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Aug 4th 2013 at 11:25 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back 5 years ago from Spain, our reasons were finacial with the decreased exchange rate between the Euro and the pound.

We are much better off here, the summer heat is much better here, not the 35+ for weeks on end, there is much more choice of food in supermarkets, and the prices are not that much different. We are not surrounded by half completed and now abandoned building sites, and we have NEVER felt unsafe here, despite what the tabloids would have us believe. I hven't been the target of pickpockets, which I was several time in Spain, although none of them got anything from me.

All in all, although we liked living in Spain, we are far happier here.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Harvester523
And some don't want to return to Britain though they'd be financially better off (me). I just don't understand either the slagging off UK or how wonderful it is. If one is happy where they are, then that's the best place to be. There are other countries as beautiful (if not more in my opinion) as the UK, and friendly people can be found in all sorts of places. I like the UK for all it's faults, but don't want to live there (because of it's faults). I'm financially worse off here but have a better quality of life. And I do wonder how much 'perceived' homesickness is actually nostalgia - or just not being happy where you are.
Which begs the questions - why are you on the "Returning to the UK" boards?

I've never lived in the UK. This move is for my Hunny who misses his homeland... but having visited the UK, I have to say - the quality of life FOR OUR FAMILY - will be far superior there than in this vast/empty/unfriendly country we live in today. And though I love Canada - it's MY homeland - I am very much looking forward to all the cultural and social aspects of living in England. That's why *I* am on this board...

Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very valid question, why even look on the returning to the UK section if there is no intention of returning?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
That is a very valid question, why even look on the returning to the UK section if there is no intention of returning?
Do you ever plan to return to Australia Chris?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:52 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Which begs the questions - why are you on the "Returning to the UK" boards?

I've never lived in the UK. This move is for my Hunny who misses his homeland... but having visited the UK, I have to say - the quality of life FOR OUR FAMILY - will be far superior there than in this vast/empty/unfriendly country we live in today. And though I love Canada - it's MY homeland - I am very much looking forward to all the cultural and social aspects of living in England. That's why *I* am on this board...

Curiosity?
I don't want to go back, but who knows what the future holds? I may even be able to give an insight if someone asks about a place where I used to live - warts and all.
Why is it even necessary to ask the question?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:59 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
Do you ever plan to return to Australia Chris?
No plans but having lived there most of my life nothing is out of the question but unlikely.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Whooooooooooosh!!!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I quoted you because you were the one who mentioned it being US based, but its directed at antone who wants to read it. I don't think that makes one jot of difference to it. The majority of members neither know nor care where the server is hosted - thats obvious from the fact that most people don't know anything of BE's history, and a lot of people in the Aus forum are surprised when told that it was started by Expats in the US - I know that cos its often me doing the telling
Many other posters arrive here via google links to specific threads and are amazed to discover after some time on the site that its larger than the (for example) Spain/India/Police/Trucking forum that they are in. It would work no matter where the Expats with the original ideas were - its the concept and the input from posters that makes it work after all
Yes I agree, the majority wouldn't care, and neither should any of us, but regrettably circumstance/experience does lead some to feel relieved that the site is not Australian focused. Though one could be forgiven for believing that it is!
Appreciate the response, thanks.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe you can give me the precis version because it doesn't seem obvious to me.
No. This nonsense of confusion is twaddle! Any damn fool can look at the trend here and work it out.

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Wrong guesswork again. I post links because they have been or are currently part of my ongoing research into whether to return to the UK or not. Some links are of more value to some than they are to others, that should really go without saying, but it would be very arrogant of me to try and decide which ones people could or could not benefit from, would it not?

I firmly believe in doing as much due diligence about my next move as possible, not only because I read so many posts from people who have moved back to the UK and are unhappy, or indeed emigrate to other countries and remain unhappy, but stuck there wanting to return to the UK for whatever reason, many much poorer both financially and/or socially that I feel that if they had done more due diligence before their move they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now i.e. killing time wishing they were somewhere else.

I personally include myself in part of the last paragraph. Due diligence may or may not have changed my mind to move to the USA, but it certainly would have lessened some of the blows I had to take in my first few years here. Alas, no internet back then.

So less of the ad hominem attacks and let the thread flow with what the OP asked in the thread header. He like yourself, can choose to take advantage or them or ignore them.

P.S. I personally would prefer if we stuck to the OP's question. He didn't after all ask, "Is the situation in the UK really as bad as Australia?" but, its an open forum and I respect people's right to post their view point, even if it's not relevant to the original question. After all, who am I to dictate what people post?
Due diligence? I like it. All of us have the capacity for it, it is not a selective thing.
'Ad hominem' attacks?!! This is discussion forum 101 across so many sites! It is usually used when one is unable to persuade others that they are right, and anyone who disagrees is wrong!

Good PS: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Yes and no??

So we're done then?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:00 am
Banned

To be honest I think the OP has lost the will to live. It doesnt matter how many dodgy links to doom and gloom statistics are posted or even how much those of us actually living here extol the virtues of life in the UK you have to give it a go. NO, it isnt anywhere near as bad as some would have you belief, the vast majority seem to be doing just fine, they still go on holiday and buy the new car and big TV.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, the majority wouldn't care, and neither should any of us, but regrettably circumstance/experience does lead some to feel relieved that the site is not Australian focused. Though one could be forgiven for believing that it is!
Appreciate the response, thanks.

No. This nonsense of confusion is twaddle! Any damn fool can look at the trend here and work it out.

Due diligence? I like it. All of us have the capacity for it, it is not a selective thing.
'Ad hominem' attacks?!! This is discussion forum 101 across so many sites! It is usually used when one is unable to persuade others that they are right, and anyone who disagrees is wrong!

Good PS: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Yes and no??

So we're done then?
I'm not a damn fool, ergo I don't fathom why anyone would spend half of their life seemingly overanalysing and trying to impress others of their self-judged superior intelligence. Try Occam's razor and keep it simple rather than pontificating on twaddle.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not a damn fool, ergo I don't fathom why anyone would spend half of their life seemingly overanalysing and trying to impress others of their self-judged superior intelligence. Try Occam's razor and keep it simple rather than pontificating on twaddle.
...................and all this because I disagreed with you on another thread! (Yes I know, you'll deny that)
I know you like giving information and being helpful and I think that's great-and I supported a previous poster on that....but gee! you don't like being disagreed with do you Dunroving?

I write as I write, and I would have though it as plain as day that I'm not trying to 'impress others with self-judged superior intelligence',...because many have disagreed with me!
So if I was doing that it ain't worked has it?

The thing is; I don't care about your need to 'analyse' me! It doesn't bother me, and that irritates you no end!! Look at what you've just written!
...................you of course are not 'Mr Angry'. Perish the thought!

Don't upset yourself. It's just a forum, not the Oxford Debating Society (I'm sure I read that somewhere else...?).

I'll continue to post as I post, as long as I don't breach forum rules, and not according to your 'rules'.
You will no doubt do the same.

So calm down; peace love happiness an' all that..
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:03 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fine.

The contentious issue for me in this part of BE is that this is the 'Returning to the UK' section.
All my comments are based on that.

In this section, unless making defamatory remarks or breaching forum rules, returnees should be able to express themselves freely; about return/reasons for return/problems encountered etc.

It doesn't have the title: 'Discussion about whether Australia is better than Britain for returnees'!
.......................................in other words it's not a competition whereby anyone returning to the UK and expressing why must be immediately countered with (and this IS an 'Aussie' thing!), with a strident or even subtle but snide defence of Australia.

There is a section 'upstairs' for all things Australian, and I think that's great; it's the way it should be on an expat site!

This is Returning To The UK.
There shouldn't be a problem should there? But there always is.

Bluntly: I TG that this is a US based site. If it were Australian (and trust me on this point..), returnees would not be able to express themselves without incessant attacks-and if they then respond to that and defend themselves...?
Guess who is in the poo?

That is bog standard on Ozsites.
You have politely said what i would bluntly say.... Joined B.E roughly 10 yrs ago and have often wondered both on the CA forum and then on Returning forum......Why if people are so happy in their chosen country, they spend so much of their 24/7s on B.E ????

Maybe they are not as happy as they want others to think.....Um

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.