Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Now we get to the minutiae! If they feel that it's the right thing for them to do at the time-it does stand to logical reason that at that time the UK is preferable; ergo: better than Australia.
I know that this is something Auspats choke on, but they must accept it. Each to his own!

- Absolutely true, noticeable and appreciated.

But you are in the camp (yes, regrettably there are 'sides' on this issue) that incessantly puts up defence of Australia.
Me? I am posting in 'Returnees'-and continue to believe that folks should not have to repeatedly defend their decisions in this section.

And they DO have to!

US/Canadian/European expats seem to have much more confidence in all decisions: stay or go. I wish Australians/Auspats would learn from this.

(It's almost as if someone is trying to get through a door, and they're picked at and pulled back, and when that doesn't work, they get a boot in the backside, are ridiculed, and the door slammed on them!)
Some people move back through necessity - the country they are leaving is better for them, but there is a necessity to be elsewhere - family or work or common causes.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Now we get to the minutiae! If they feel that it's the right thing for them to do at the time-it does stand to logical reason that at that time the UK is preferable; ergo: better than Australia.
I know that this is something Auspats choke on, but they must accept it. Each to his own!

- Absolutely true, noticeable and appreciated.
Not logical at all. People return because they are homesick, because they want to be closer to their family, because they feel they want to be back where they, 'belong'. Preferable to Australia yes. Better ( or worse ) than Australia no.

But you are in the camp (yes, regrettably there are 'sides' on this issue) that incessantly puts up defence of Australia.
You'll be very hard pressed to find any quote from me, knocking or praising/defending Australia. Apart from a short holiday I have no experience of the country.

Me? I am posting in 'Returnees'-and continue to believe that folks should not have to repeatedly defend their decisions in this section.

And they DO have to!
"have to" ??? They can respond if they want to, but surely, in the interest of discussion, it is better to see both opinions and the response to those opinions in order to form ones own opinion or be persuaded or not by the debate.

(It's almost as if someone is trying to get through a door, and they're picked at and pulled back, and when that doesn't work, they get a boot in the backside, are ridiculed, and the door slammed on them!)
That works both ways.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Not logical at all. People return because they are homesick, because they want to be closer to their family, because they feel they want to be back where they, 'belong'. Preferable to Australia yes. Better ( or worse ) than Australia no.

You'll be very hard pressed to find any quote from me, knocking or praising/defending Australia. Apart from a short holiday I have no experience of the country.

"have to" ??? They can respond if they want to, but surely, in the interest of discussion, it is better to see both opinions and the response to those opinions in order to form ones own opinion or be persuaded or not by the debate.

That works both ways.
- ......and I'll continue to say that when they do that, it is the preference. What we are now getting to is the ludicrous scenario that people are being forced by circumstance to return.
Leave no turn unstoned eh?
Some will, but so many are actually..returning..because...they...want...to!!!

- Almost every post from you and your links that show the UK in a bad light!! Good Heavens! Do you think I'm responding to you for no reason? You are UK based? Have you thought about migrating to Australia? Not sarcastic btw.

"
"

- Nice play!! (Yes. next post will deny that!).
Of course they can respond if they 'want to'! But they shouldn't have to incessantly defend their decision to return to the UK in a forum dealing with...returning to the UK!!

'In the interest of discussion'?
What's the problem Bud? You don't think there's discussion here amongst those returning to the UK? Take a look; there is a wealth of discussion amongst those returning to the UK.
What you are really saying is that expats resident in Australia and returning to the UK should have to incessantly defend that decision.
......erm, people are adults. They do not need to to run the gamut of the 'Ozisgreat' honour guard to 'be persuaded'. They can take decisions for themselves....

- NO. It does not work 'both ways'. Australians choosing to leave the UK are not subjected to this. The British I think have enough on their plates to bother with ridicule of Australians wanting to leave Britain.
(Funnily enough I was discussing this with an Australian friend last night (yes, I do have friends who are adult and professional enough not to do this Ozdefence dance-it embarrasses them), who belonged to a prominent forum in the UK.
Far from criticism, he hardly got any responses to his post about wanting to 'go home'!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

- ......and I'll continue to say that when they do that, it is the preference. What we are now getting to is the ludicrous scenario that people are being forced by circumstance to return.

- Almost every post from you and your links that show the UK in a bad light!! Good Heavens! Do you think I'm responding to you for no reason? You are UK based? Have you thought about migrating to Australia? Not sarcastic btw.

"
"

Of course they can respond if they 'want to'! But they shouldn't have to incessantly defend their decision to return to the UK in a forum dealing with...returning to the UK!!

What's the problem Bud? You don't think there's discussion here amongst those returning to the UK? Take a look; there is a wealth of discussion amongst those returning to the UK.
What you are really saying is that expats resident in Australia and returning to the UK should have to incessantly defend that decision.
......erm, people are adults. They do not need to to run the gamut of the 'Ozisgreat' honour guard to 'be persuaded'. They can take decisions for themselves....

- NO. It does not work 'both ways'. Australians choosing to leave the UK are not subjected to this. The British I think have enough on their plates to bother with ridicule of Australians wanting to leave Britain.
(Funnily enough I was discussing this with an Australian friend last night (yes, I do have friends who are adult and professional enough not to do this Ozdefence dance-it embarrasses them), who belonged to a prominent forum in the UK.
Far from criticism, he hardly got any responses to his post about wanting to 'go home'!
Bud's location is given as 'the sunshine state' which to me would mean Florida but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Bud's location is given as 'the sunshine state' which to me would mean Florida but I could be wrong.
Thanks os. I didn't look at that. (I know the sunshine state as Queensland!)
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

"
"

I'm finding your posts hard to follow. I'm finding the Aus v UK debate tedious. That's not to say others don't enjoy them, just my personal view.

The links that I put up are not all negative, the majority may well be, not because I have any prejudice ( I want to return to the UK ), but because, well, there's simply more negative stuff out there for general consumption than positive. Also, as with most links of any description, they are their to offer people another piece of information. They can take it or leave it, the delve further into the link for more information or they can put up a link with an alternative view point. It really is that simple. Nothing for anyone to get upset about, nothing for any one to post any links to try and 'get one over another poster, I find those infantile and petulant in the extreme.

There are so many assumptions in your posts of late. Conjecture does not lead to good debate.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, talk about paralysis by analysis! It's sometimes difficult to follow discussions, but when the discussion is about the minutiae of how we are discussing, it's almost impossible to figure out what's going on!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The links that I put up are not all negative, the majority may well be, not because I have any prejudice ( I want to return to the UK ), but because, well, there's simply more negative stuff out there for general consumption than positive.
You find more negative links because you selectively look for them.....you have been doing it for months if not years. I do not think you have any intention of moving back....you are just continuing your trolling on this Part of the forum
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm finding your posts hard to follow. I'm finding the Aus v UK debate tedious. That's not to say others don't enjoy them, just my personal view.

The links that I put up are not all negative, the majority may well be, not because I have any prejudice ( I want to return to the UK ), but because, well, there's simply more negative stuff out there for general consumption than positive. Also, as with most links of any description, they are their to offer people another piece of information. They can take it or leave it, the delve further into the link for more information or they can put up a link with an alternative view point. It really is that simple. Nothing for anyone to get upset about, nothing for any one to post any links to try and 'get one over another poster, I find those infantile and petulant in the extreme.

There are so many assumptions in your posts of late. Conjecture does not lead to good debate.
- Isn't it strange how people look at the same thing differently? I find your posts very easy to follow.

- Aus v UK debate: It is tedious isn't it?

- Agree again! There is indeed more negative stuff out there isn't there?

- And AGAIN!! It is infantile and petulant isn't it?

- 'So many assumptions and conjecture'. See, that's why I find your posts so easy to understand. Refer to the previous point.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Blimey, talk about paralysis by analysis! It's sometimes difficult to follow discussions, but when the discussion is about the minutiae of how we are discussing, it's almost impossible to figure out what's going on!
Yes. I have to agree with this....

EDIT:......though I am completely aware of exactly what is going on..

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 4th 2013 at 6:31 am. Reason: Clarification.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You find more negative links because you selectively look for them.....you have been doing it for months if not years. I do not think you have any intention of moving back....you are just continuing your trolling on this Part of the forum
Spot on, there is a huge amount of positive news that could be linked to but it wouldnt be as juicy as the negative stuff. I post the links to the same stuff in Australia purely because of what Bud posts, I couldnt care less whether he finds it infantile and petulant. Maybe we are both wrong, perhaps he isnt a troll but he certainly comes across as one.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I have to agree with this....

EDIT:......though I am completely aware of exactly what is going on..
To be honest it is hard not to be aware of what is going on, it is very obvious to us all I think.

I will say again as someone actually living here that NO, the situation in the UK for the vast majority of average people is not at all bad and improving all the time. Perfect, no but pretty bloody good
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A lot of people 'say' they are struggling though. Seems to be a subjective measure.
We recently had someone in the Aus forum say they were struggling on $Au 170K.......

Thanks os. I didn't look at that. (I know the sunshine state as Queensland!)
In this case its Florida

I'm finding the Aus v UK debate tedious.
- Aus v UK debate: It is tedious isn't it?
Yes it is....especially as a large number of posters on the UK forum have no connection with Australia at all. There are enough tedious aus v UK arguments on the Aus forum without taking this one over as well.

- Agree again! There is indeed more negative stuff out there isn't there?

- And AGAIN!! It is infantile and petulant isn't it?

- 'So many assumptions and conjecture'. See, that's why I find your posts so easy to understand. Refer to the previous point.

Bluntly: I TG that this is a US based site. If it were Australian (and trust me on this point..), returnees would not be able to express themselves without incessant attacks-and if they then respond to that and defend themselves...?
Guess who is in the poo?
It is a site for UK Expats. The only reason it is based in the US is because it was started by two UK Expats living there. If ownership was handed to UK Expats living in Australia the site would be just the same. Its aimed at Expats from the UK, and the UK forum is aimed at those returning or dreaming of returning.
Brits are Brits and it doesn't matter which country we are living in, our Expat sites are based on our Britishness - especially one this size which has members in so many countries.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The thing is though noone is really saying their arent countries as beautiful as the UK or people as friendly as here. Noone is saying the UK is perfect by any means. We dont want to live in Australia (partly because of its faults) but that doesnt mean it isnt a nice place to live for others.
I just had to reply to this one, its spot on
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana

.....It is a site for UK Expats. The only reason it is based in the US is because it was started by two UK Expats living there. If ownership was handed to UK Expats living in Australia the site would be just the same. Its aimed at Expats from the UK, and the UK forum is aimed at those returning or dreaming of returning.
Brits are Brits and it doesn't matter which country we are living in, our Expat sites are based on our Britishness - especially one this size which has members in so many countries.
I know that Pollyanna, I'm surprised that you directed this response to me.
I do not agree that it would be the same if it was handed to expats in Australia though, the success of BE is that it is international though US based.
The great thing about it is those expats all over the world.

Returning to the UK is the domain of anyone of us I know, but it gets overrun on the Aus-UK basis for a specific reason that does not seem to affect those resident in other countries.
I wish it did not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.