Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
Is it worse that they say it or that some believe it?

They all need a compulsory tour of duty in another country.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP.........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...nancially.html
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

They all need a compulsory tour of duty in another country.
Well that would certainly be a good start.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
A lot of people 'say' they are struggling though. Seems to be a subjective measure.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people 'say' they are struggling though. Seems to be a subjective measure.
They have to make do with a 50 inch plasma. Seriously though I think you are right.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I looked on the website of "Money Advice Service" - who did this survey - but I couldn't see the full report online, only the stuff that's got lifted into that Telegraph article. They do seem to have asked some objective questions as well, but without seeing what was actually asked and the methodology used, count me a little sceptical as to the value of this survey.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly: "More than half of UK adults said they were struggling with their finances"

It's that old perception vs. reality thing again.

Seems that comes up time and again whenever we discuss whether the UK is going to the dogs or whether the UK is better or worse than (insert other country here).

Even an increase in the % of people who perceive things are tough doesn't equate to an increase in reality - it may be that perceptions change because we are just becoming a more whiney, self-absorbed society.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even an increase in the % of people who perceive things are tough doesn't equate to an increase in reality - it may be that perceptions change because we are just becoming a more whiney, self-absorbed society.
This has been particularly true of crime figures, where many surveys show people perceiving crime is increasing, whereas it's been in a significant decline for a decade or more.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

What's the definition of tough in this case. Seems to me there's a marked difference between the poverty of want and the poverty of need. I suspect that most of those who are finding it 'tough' would fall into the former catagorey.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:23 pm
Banned

This might interest the OP.
http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou...-1226579475726
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This has been particularly true of crime figures, where many surveys show people perceiving crime is increasing, whereas it's been in a significant decline for a decade or more.
Yes that is always an interesting one, ask the average person that expresses a 'fear' of crime if they have ever been a victim of any crime at all and most will say no.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I do wish you the best of luck, truly. BUT; if this is your area of concern and you are coming to Australia, you are in for a rude shock!

Even those happily settled in Aus have real trouble trying to buy something with enough bedrooms, and within reasonable distance of the City. So many have to go to suburbs anything up to an hours drive away.

I can only imagine how tough it is for you, but be prepared. Those TV programmes are sending a false message. Those big houses at an affordable price are some way away from your main employment area.

All the best!
Thank you. I gave up on Aus a long time ago, I know the high cost of living and housing there. Now I am researching countries that have affordable housing. Unfortunately a lot of those don't have jobs!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by martinw01908
Thank you. I gave up on Aus a long time ago, I know the high cost of living and housing there. Now I am researching countries that have affordable housing. Unfortunately a lot of those don't have jobs!
The two things are often linked. Otherwise we'd all be living in mansions.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I've read most of the pages of this thread, and personally speaking it's the high house prices that make me want to leave the most
Originally Posted by Celticspirit
In a comparison to the USA, house prices in the UK are outrageous.
It depends where in the USA you live. I'd love to be able to buy a house in the Bay Area for what I pay for my house in Milton Keynes. To buy an equivalent house here would cost me 5 times the value of my UK house.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here you go, it's not all doom and gloom. You'll be buzzin' around those pretty country lanes in no time.............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...in-Europe.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.