Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by jemima55
Dinner lady? That's a novel suggestion!
I think Tockalosh was referring to this......

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...-muslim-pupil/
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

I've read most of the pages of this thread, and personally speaking it's the high house prices that make me want to leave the most
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I've read most of the pages of this thread, and personally speaking it's the high house prices that make me want to leave the most
Make you want to leave where exactly?

If you are talking about the UK, I could not disagree with you more. I cannot believe how cheap houses are in the UK in comparison to NZ. Also, there are so many more houses to choose from.

People in the UK (outside the South East) do not know how lucky they have it.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I do wish you the best of luck, truly. BUT; if this is your area of concern and you are coming to Australia, you are in for a rude shock!

Even those happily settled in Aus have real trouble trying to buy something with enough bedrooms, and within reasonable distance of the City. So many have to go to suburbs anything up to an hours drive away.

I can only imagine how tough it is for you, but be prepared. Those TV programmes are sending a false message. Those big houses at an affordable price are some way away from your main employment area.

All the best!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Make you want to leave where exactly?

If you are talking about the UK, I could not disagree with you more. I cannot believe how cheap houses are in the UK in comparison to NZ. Also, there are so many more houses to choose from.

People in the UK (outside the South East) do not know how lucky they have it.
In a comparison to the USA, house prices in the UK are outrageous.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Do not disagree there. The same statement is true though with regards to UK house prices and NZ (Auckland/CHCH/WLG anyhow) - it is outrageous.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Do not disagree there. The same statement is true though with regards to UK house prices and NZ (Auckland/CHCH/WLG anyhow) - it is outrageous.
Was in Australia a couple of years ago to judge a dog show.......could never afford to live there and would be considered upper middle class here :-(
We were really shocked.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I hope you arent contemplating going to Australia. Google unaffordable housing and Australia unfortunately is right at the top.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Depends enormously which part of the USA though.

Hereabouts (SW Florida), with a bit of careful shopping, you can get a 3 bed 2 bath house with a full acre of land for about USD90K. But the same thing in Palo Alto Hills, California would run perhaps USD10M.

Location, location, location and all that. But I don't think the ratio of house prices in the UK, cheap area versus expensive area is anything remotely like the 100:1 you will find Stateside.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We had to drive to a village outside Ludlow today and on the way my wife said words to the effect of why would anyone seriously want to live anywhere else in the world and it was pretty hard to disagree. This is such a beautiful country if only more people would open their eyes and take a look.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We had to drive to a village outside Ludlow today and on the way my wife said words to the effect of why would anyone seriously want to live anywhere else in the world and it was pretty hard to disagree. This is such a beautiful country if only more people would open their eyes and take a look.

.......... because they're not walking in the same shoes. Simples.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Different strokes for different folks, but I certainly have my eye on that area if I return post-retirement.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Different strokes for different folks, but I certainly have my eye on that area if I return post-retirement.
Its a beautiful area, low traffic density, loads of wonderful villages and towns, reasonable unemployment rate, friendly people and great pubs I can think of worst places to retire.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

why would anyone seriously want to live anywhere else in the world
Because the Daily Mail has told them it's shit.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Because the Daily Mail has told them it's shit.
Is it worse that they say it or that some believe it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.