Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:07 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Location, Location, Location - very important when choosing where to live in any country.

I've just returned from a 3 week visit to the UK, (which I love and will be returning to in 5 months

Firstly, I visited my town of birth and where my parents still live. In a nut shell it is just like your father described. High unemployment, shops closed everywhere and racial tension. The tension is kept in the living room with lots of people moaning and voting for UKIP. I really thought I'd walked onto the set of shameless. But it was a dump before I left as well.

Secondly, I went to a large town, near a major city, fantastic out of town shopping center, completely packed, so there most be jobs and money available. This area has a very large Asian and muslin community, there are racial tensions, again mainly kept to the living rooms and voting UKIP.

Thirdly, visited small town, shops open, very clean, all friends have jobs, housing costs reasonable. Lovely cricket ground, nice pubs, schools fantastic. No talk of racial tensions but area is very white with hardly any minorities.

Lots of people comment about the Daily Mail, but on a serious note I do believe it is playing a major role in causing racial tension. It has most days stories about a minority person being a criminal, lazy layabout, abusing the benefits/NHS. It has many people believing that the UK would be fantastic if it wasn't for the 'immigrants'.

Your Dad isn't incorrect in what he says completely, as there areas that fit that description, but thats not everýwhere, so make sure you research where you want to settle.

Every 1st world country has the same problems, we of all people know that moving to a county doesn't make your life automatically better or worst. Its how you live your day to day life in that country that counts.
Absolutely spot on
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

confused78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by yozzernz
I figured this may be the case. I'm actually flying over for a month in a fortnights time for the first time in 10 years, part of the reason for this is to suss things out first hand, but I thought I'd get other peoples opinion aswell.

My dad feels we are in the right place (Australia) and thinks we're mad to want to come back but as anyone who's moved away knows there's always that yearning to go back
Hello,
I can really relate to that. I am near Cairns. I hope things work out for you.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

A link to an interactive debt map of the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/1...urhood-in.html

Quote from the article:

Last month new figures revealed British families are the most heavily indebted in the developed world despite austerity, figures have shown.
Data compiled by the House of Commons Library show that British households' debts are equal to 98 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), more than any of their international peers.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
A link to an interactive debt map of the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/1...urhood-in.html

Quote from the article:

Last month new figures revealed British families are the most heavily indebted in the developed world despite austerity, figures have shown.
Data compiled by the House of Commons Library show that British households' debts are equal to 98 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), more than any of their international peers.
I note the bolding to emphasise the point being made in this advertisement for Payplan!

I looked back in the archives yesterday; this negative/positive thing seems to have gone on for millenia! (Think that's a word...anyway you know what I mean).

I have some anxiety about returning in November, particularly now that I find out that the UK has shite trees all over the place...

It seems logical to me that commonsense is not to see any one country as not so much Utopia,-but one that will solve all problems.
You are riding for a fall if you think that.
It is inevitable that forums like this will have the self interested views of individuals...on either 'side'. Media too is shaped by what will ensure interest in stories, and sell their newspapers.

I have to say that for the younger gen who need jobs/schools/housing; the decision is so much harder; there is so much more to consider.
Bear in mind the bias of the poster;-and whichever way you interpret it; it IS bias; then armed with as much knowledge as you can, go with your own instincts.

It may not work out, but each individual does the best they can. No one takes massive decisions without a lot of thought and research.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
No one takes massive decisions without a lot of thought and research.
Unfortunately they do.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

the UK has shite trees all over the place...
It's the first I've heard of them too
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately they do.
Some. Not all. We are all fallible human beings; we make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes occur after many checks and balances.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Shame on you!! They are EVERYWHERE
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/news/dis...rees-1-5344529

I've trained my dog
Attached Thumbnails Is the situation in the UK really that bad?-where-do-you-keep-your-dogs-poop-bags.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The two you have put up have really made me laugh!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:58 am
Bean Counter

jocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the roughjocksternhcle is a jewel in the rough

The two you have put up have really made me laugh!
+1
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Because part of the reason for removing the poo is to stop kids picking it up/playing with it - and they will still find it under hedges etc, you know what little kids are like!

Yes, in most parks, and litter bins at bus stops, along main streets etc.
Have to admit I've never come across the bags hanging from trees thing, and I spend a lot of time back home. My niece, who lives back home, has just got herself a dog, and she's never heard of it either.
I must say I have never seen or heard of the bags hanging from treees either.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
First I heard of it was a BBC programme called "Filthy Rotten Scoundrels", in 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tvffj

Filthy Rotten Scoundrels is the series that highlights the work of environment officers across the UK, as they tackle astonishing and flagrant cases of fly-tipping!

An enviro-officer in Leicestershire tracks the rogue who throws dozens of bags of dog mess into the trees at a local beauty spot.

Enforcement officers in Hillingdon, North-West London set up an elaborate sting operation to catch a car-scrapper who has flyposted illegally, right across the borough.

Plus, in Bristol, one man's outrageous 15-year fly-tipping spree comes to an abrupt end, when a local resident catches him in the act on camera. He was jailed for two-and-a-half years.

The hard-working and tenacious officers often go undercover to track down criminals who dump thousands of tons of rubbish on our city streets and country lanes. Investigators call on police back-up for elaborate sting operations, and scan through hours of surveillance footage. More than 3,000 fly-tipping incidents happen each day, costing tax payers 55 million pounds a year to clear up
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Based only on my personal experience

1. It has been harder and harder each year to secure a job (we're talking Scotland here). Where there used to be 20 jobs advertised for my abilities there were 15 and now 10. Jobs that used to recieve a lower number of applicants are attracting over 100. One job I applied for had 750 applicants. The wages aren't great and some have dropped - on querying this companies say they're having to tighten belts as they're really feeling the pinch and that's all they can offer. Speaking about a range of large global, medium and smaller local companies here (in my experience).

So based on my personal situation, yes, it is harder to get work. We've had friends in the same boat also. Perhaps it is also due to the fact people maybe don't move around in jobs as much anymore and are seeking more security in this climate.

2. I also see more and more shops closing every week. Perhaps these shops were never going to make it anyway, however, I still see this happening everywhere around me. Many shops I have noticed have not been re-rented out again and I haven't seen any new shops pop up over the last 1.5 years. This again is only one capital city I'm speaking of, can't speak on behalf of the UK.

3. There are a lot more sales in clothing shops (etc..) over the last 3 or so years. Instead of having one or two, in store and online for the biggies seem to be happening every month. Good sales too. Also food is much cheaper than Australia, by a huge margin - again in my experience. The same goes for eating out and the price of drinks.

4. Can't comment on immigration as I don't know a huge amount about the figures etc.. and everywhere in UK is different anyway. Haven't seen any rioting around our capital city personally.

5. We have a house that we were thinking of putting up for sale and literally had people contact us through friends of friends of friends through facebook or knocking on the door to see if we would consider renting instead. Not just one, but a few random enquiries. It seems that around our area securing a good rental is hard to do and people are really struggling to get onto the property ladder more than ever. Again, just in our personal experience.

I still think that the UK is "dirtier" than Australia. Again in my experience with a lot of time in both Oz and UK. Seems to be more rubbish on the streets and less of a 'I'll hold onto this until I reach that bin up ahead' as opposed to 'I see a bin ahead and I'll just drop it here'.

I do love it here, it's not all doom and gloom but it entirely depends on your personal circumstances. What will work for someone will not work for someone else.

That's just my take on it.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Still Game
Based only on my personal experience

1. It has been harder and harder each year to secure a job (we're talking Scotland here). Where there used to be 20 jobs advertised for my abilities there were 15 and now 10. Jobs that used to recieve a lower number of applicants are attracting over 100. One job I applied for had 750 applicants. The wages aren't great and some have dropped - on querying this companies say they're having to tighten belts as they're really feeling the pinch and that's all they can offer. Speaking about a range of large global, medium and smaller local companies here (in my experience).

So based on my personal situation, yes, it is harder to get work. We've had friends in the same boat also. Perhaps it is also due to the fact people maybe don't move around in jobs as much anymore and are seeking more security in this climate.

2. I also see more and more shops closing every week. Perhaps these shops were never going to make it anyway, however, I still see this happening everywhere around me. Many shops I have noticed have not been re-rented out again and I haven't seen any new shops pop up over the last 1.5 years. This again is only one capital city I'm speaking of, can't speak on behalf of the UK.

3. There are a lot more sales in clothing shops (etc..) over the last 3 or so years. Instead of having one or two, in store and online for the biggies seem to be happening every month. Good sales too. Also food is much cheaper than Australia, by a huge margin - again in my experience. The same goes for eating out and the price of drinks.

4. Can't comment on immigration as I don't know a huge amount about the figures etc.. and everywhere in UK is different anyway. Haven't seen any rioting around our capital city personally.

5. We have a house that we were thinking of putting up for sale and literally had people contact us through friends of friends of friends through facebook or knocking on the door to see if we would consider renting instead. Not just one, but a few random enquiries. It seems that around our area securing a good rental is hard to do and people are really struggling to get onto the property ladder more than ever. Again, just in our personal experience.

I still think that the UK is "dirtier" than Australia. Again in my experience with a lot of time in both Oz and UK. Seems to be more rubbish on the streets and less of a 'I'll hold onto this until I reach that bin up ahead' as opposed to 'I see a bin ahead and I'll just drop it here'.

I do love it here, it's not all doom and gloom but it entirely depends on your personal circumstances. What will work for someone will not work for someone else.

That's just my take on it.
Very balanced post thanks.

I have to admit that I remember with disgust frequently seeing dog poo on pavements, particularly in parts of London. I hope to hell that's changed, because it is an absolute rarity here.

Equally, suburban shops are closing down-there are so many that are now boarded up, some with graffiti.
This is NOT point scoring; I suspect this is an international problem caused by the 'greed is good' thing. Smaller businesses are being completely trounced by mega business.
Most all suburban shopping is done at shopping centres-and many of those smaller businesses within are closing because of high rents.

Those decreasing wages I suspect have less to do with market competition then the ethic nowadays that profits must be kept high.

The worst not best thing, that ever happened was 'Mum and Dad' shareholders. They could not afford to 'play the market', so these massive companies must keep their returns in the black.
It will be at the cost of their brother/sister/daughter/son' etc job-but hey! they get a good return.
If the shareholders are happy with their return-the Board is rewarded with bonuses.....and so it goes on.

They do not lose. Corporate welfare in Australia is de rigeuer. They can/do threaten a pull out-so they are given millions to ensure jobs.
The bas tards cannot lose.

If things are so bad then how are the rich getting richer? Things are bad everywhere because the powerful and the adroit can do what they want.
After all politicians need corporate jobs are they retire don't they?

(Sorry. I'm tired and bloody fed up!)

Excellent post Still Game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.