Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

My family back in the UK often say how the economic situation over there is awful and there are no jobs, is the situation over there really that bleak? They also say how there's lots of unrest due to the immigration policy of this government. We really want to go home but would hate to take our kids back to a place where their prospects are poor to non existent and there's lots of unrest. My dad's a real doom and gloom merchant and I wonder if he's making things out to be worse than they really are

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

In a word NO, in fact absolutely not.
There are jobs, in fact the unemployment rate here is only marginally worse that Australia. Why wife got the first job she had an interview for, she applied for a handful. Our kids love it here, they are born and bred Brisbane kids. Yesterday one of them said they were going to live the rest of their lives in England.
The doom and gloom tends to come from those who read the trash papers like the Daily Mail and take the rubbish written as gospel.
Of course there are those who dont agree with the Governments immigration policy just the same as in Australia but as far as there being lots of unrest Im sorry but that is just nonsense.
There is no way in the world we would have bought our kids here if their future prospects were poor.
Im afraid it does seem as though your father is blowing things out of proportion.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
In a word NO, in fact absolutely not.
There are jobs, in fact the unemployment rate here is only marginally worse that Australia. Why wife got the first job she had an interview for, she applied for a handful. Our kids love it here, they are born and bred Brisbane kids. Yesterday one of them said they were going to live the rest of their lives in England.
The doom and gloom tends to come from those who read the trash papers like the Daily Mail and take the rubbish written as gospel.
Of course there are those who dont agree with the Governments immigration policy just the same as in Australia but as far as there being lots of unrest Im sorry but that is just nonsense.
There is no way in the world we would have bought our kids here if their future prospects were poor.
Im afraid it does seem as though your father is blowing things out of proportion.
I figured this may be the case. I'm actually flying over for a month in a fortnights time for the first time in 10 years, part of the reason for this is to suss things out first hand, but I thought I'd get other peoples opinion aswell.

My dad feels we are in the right place (Australia) and thinks we're mad to want to come back but as anyone who's moved away knows there's always that yearning to go back
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Incidentally I'm a registered mental health nurse, any nurses out there with an opinion on the job situ?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yozzernz
My family back in the UK often say how the economic situation over there is awful and there are no jobs, is the situation over there really that bleak? They also say how there's lots of unrest due to the immigration policy of this government. We really want to go home but would hate to take our kids back to a place where their prospects are poor to non existent and there's lots of unrest. My dad's a real doom and gloom merchant and I wonder if he's making things out to be worse than they really are

Any thoughts?
Hi Yozzernz, I think you can say those things about any country these days.
I'm moving back to Norfolk in September and cant wait! I found the cost of living to be so much cheaper than Canada. The work thing just depends what skills you have to offer, I work in Oil and Gas and with the new fracing licences being awarded now is a great time for me to head home. As for the unrest no more or less than what i have to deal with out here. I was back in April and had no issues what so ever! I think the best thing to do is do your own research like you did when you moved abroad. Good luck in your decision!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Hi Yozzernz, I think you can say those things about any country these days.
I'm moving back to Norfolk in September and cant wait! I found the cost of living to be so much cheaper than Canada. The work thing just depends what skills you have to offer, I work in Oil and Gas and with the new fracing licences being awarded now is a great time for me to head home. As for the unrest no more or less than what i have to deal with out here. I was back in April and had no issues what so ever! I think the best thing to do is do your own research like you did when you moved abroad. Good luck in your decision!
Cheers for that. Yeah plenty research being done, of which this is part of
Some mates who work for the NHS say that there's no jobs and that does seem to be the case where I'm from which is Merseyside, but we have no intention of returning to that part of the country if we do return. We've been looking at Somerset/Devon, North Yorks or maybe Scotland
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I figured this may be the case. I'm actually flying over for a month in a fortnights time for the first time in 10 years, part of the reason for this is to suss things out first hand, but I thought I'd get other peoples opinion aswell.

My dad feels we are in the right place (Australia) and thinks we're mad to want to come back but as anyone who's moved away knows there's always that yearning to go back
I have found that the people who keep saying this stuff have never lived anywhere else and don't really get that living somewhere else isn't like it is when they go on holiday.
My son who had never worked in UK in his life moved back there, he had been unable to even get an interview in US after completing his degree. He was employed within 6 weeks in a really good job using his degree in UK.
His younger brother straight out of high school was employed after just three weeks after arriving in UK, and one year later has already had promotion and the company sends him for extra training/qualifications constantly.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My family back in the UK often say how the economic situation over there is awful and there are no jobs, is the situation over there really that bleak? They also say how there's lots of unrest due to the immigration policy of this government.

Any thoughts?
The idea that there would be "unrest" in the UK made me smile. The occasional riot maybe, but that's been the norm in England for hundreds of years. In my visits home recently, I've observed that folks are just as dozy, phlegmatic and self satisfied as ever.. thank god! The Daily Mail is popular, but only for light relief.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back in Scotland for almost a year after 30 years in Canada and I don't have any regrets about the move. I try not to get caught up in the sensational headlines that predict the doom and gloom. Just like Canada, the UK has its pros and cons, but both are great countries. The UK just suits me better. Best of luck.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have found that the people who keep saying this stuff have never lived anywhere else and don't really get that living somewhere else isn't like it is when they go on holiday.
My son who had never worked in UK in his life moved back there, he had been unable to even get an interview in US after completing his degree. He was employed within 6 weeks in a really good job using his degree in UK.
His younger brother straight out of high school was employed after just three weeks after arriving in UK, and one year later has already had promotion and the company sends him for extra training/qualifications constantly.
Good signs indeed, thanks
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
The idea that there would be "unrest" in the UK made me smile. The occasional riot maybe, but that's been the norm in England for hundreds of years. In my visits home recently, I've observed that folks are just as dozy, phlegmatic and self satisfied as ever.. thank god! The Daily Mail is popular, but only for light relief.
Unrest probably isn't the right word. Racial tension is probably a more accurate expression.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Unrest probably isn't the right word. Racial tension is probably a more accurate expression.
Always been that sort of tension in the UK and always will be. But no more or less than any other country that has mixed ethnic back grounds. Like I said i was back in April and going back in August, I never once felt threatened or worried in any way!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Always been that sort of tension in the UK and always will be. But no more or less than any other country that has mixed ethnic back grounds. Like I said i was back in April and going back in August, I never once felt threatened or worried in any way!
Been back every 6 months or so for the last 8 years, and spent a lot of time in London and Bristol, as well as visits elsewhere. I feel more threatened walking through Brisbane at night.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it is that a sector of British people will always imagine that everywhere else just has to be better than here even though often they have never left this country and seem to base their theory on Home and Away.
There is no doubt that in some areas there is racial tension but no more than Los Angeles or Sydney or anywhere else.
This is still a great country, it has not gone to the dogs, it isnt going down the drain, it isnt overrun by immigrants on the dole.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Been back every 6 months or so for the last 8 years, and spent a lot of time in London and Bristol, as well as visits elsewhere. I feel more threatened walking through Brisbane at night.
There are places in Calgary I wouldn't venture after dark too! Not every place is the same some are better than others. I will be moving to the countryside so have less to worry about than if i moved to the city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.