Settling in

Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Settling in

Wonderful updates from you Pistol Pete . I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

It has made me homesick for my area of course but also has me hopeful that if we did return , we could hope to make as good a fist of it as you have.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi perth,

As per some previous, we have spent time in the Exeter area because originally we weren't sure exactly where the combined priorities of college and our personal needs would take us. To be more exact we were in Lympstone, which aside from being the Royal Marine Commando Training Centre, is an attractive village community right ON the River Exe ( it is beautiful) with good pubs/diners and the added attraction of having a station for access to Exeter and Topsham plus onwards to Barnstaple and Paignton every half-hour. What a lovely spot!

Apparently the marines were on leave when we were there so the punch-ups in the locals were kept to a minimum.

Unfortunately, property is by no means cheap and as with Topsham, there is very little supply to either rent or buy which rather rules them out.

It's interesting that you mention HOME. Though we are of course Brits and therefore blend in, I am not at this point thinking that this is a homecoming. When we had mentioned that we had come from the Caribbean we were (naturally) told we were bonkers. I want to spend time in the UK - far more than before, and over the last few weeks I've come to realise that actually it can be far less expensive than I envisaged without necessarily stinting ourselves or feeling that life is passing us by, helped by being in a lower-rent area. It's indeed nice to come 'home' to our 'cottage' in Weymouth after exploring or our weekends at events.

We've all already been overtaken by heavy colds as the wind and rain now beats on the windows and this WILL be an issue which restricts us a fair deal, and we are only in early October. So I'm keeping an open mind and the balance between necessary time in the Caribbean and then the UK and (warmer) points south in Europe might be slightly different and I'm encouraged by that fact. I feel a lot more at ease here than I did in St Lucia, but then we had far more obligations to keep up the property there which our tenants seem to be managing ok with now.

From previous, the fact that there is storage for bags within easy reach of Gatwick 'might' in due course prove to be a further godsend as we will be able to rent in the UK and then up sticks and spend time elsewhere while only paying for and worrying about one place at a time. A lot could depend upon what is decided vis-à-vis the NHS and who is eligible and in what fashion and what excess health insurance I would be able to buy when I turn 65 and receive a UK State Pension.
It sounds like a lovely area to settle in. I am looking forward to further updates.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed your update. What is it that brought you back again?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Enjoyed your update. What is it that brought you back again?
Our teenager was not interested in pursuing an academic course (all that is available) in St Lucia and having looked at feasible areas in the UK and vocational courses on offer it was decided that we could at least consider a move.

I have not been settled in St Lucia, partly because of the burden of maintaining a property and partly due to isolation. So meeting our kid's needs presented an opportunity for us to all make the move, for now. We were always concerned about finding good tenants in St Lucia but this has been possible on the basis that we simply parked the property with them rather than getting anything out of it financially.

When he has completed his course(s) we will re-evaluate things, particularly in light of the financial circumstances that we find ourselves in at the time.

We are retired and we are renting.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Our teenager was not interested in pursuing an academic course (all that is available) in St Lucia and having looked at feasible areas in the UK and vocational courses on offer it was decided that we could at least consider a move.

I have not been settled in St Lucia, partly because of the burden of maintaining a property and partly due to isolation. So meeting our kid's needs presented an opportunity for us to all make the move, for now. We were always concerned about finding good tenants in St Lucia but this has been possible on the basis that we simply parked the property with them rather than getting anything out of it financially.

When he has completed his course(s) we will re-evaluate things, particularly in light of the financial circumstances that we find ourselves in at the time.

How is your son settling in?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
How is your son settling in?
He seems to love college, has made friends and is getting stuck into the course material . We are confident that Weymouth College was the right choice for his particular pursuits in sports.

Not sure what happens if he wants to go on to an honours course after college but if he is a star student I understand that he just has to do ONE year to get a related degree at University of Plymouth. He has mentioned this as a possible route - more Oh Glory! I guess we would have to pay international rates for that one year or do a gap, maybe.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

He seems to love college, has made friends and is getting stuck into the course material . We are confident that Weymouth College was the right choice for his particular pursuits in sports.

Not sure what happens if he wants to go on to an honours course after college but if he is a star student I understand that he just has to do ONE year to get a related degree at University of Plymouth. He has mentioned this as a possible route - more Oh Glory! I guess we would have to pay international rates for that one year or do a gap, maybe.
I'm an external examiner for 3 FdSc courses and have to say I have been very impressed with what I see. because college lecturers aren't expected to spend hours every week conducting research, and are contracted to maintain at least a minimum number of hours contact time (over 20 hrs/week in front of students, I think), students get a very good experience, lots of feedback on assessments, etc.

In subjects like sport in particular it also means they have hours of practical skills training via labs.

As you say, they can then go on to university and complete a top-up degree in one or two years. So, good value and a good education - in many ways better than a 3- or 4-year university degree.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Big decisions. That's probably the right way to do things. Parking the property with a good tenant can be well worth the lower aggro of letting out to less reliable/more demanding tenants. And it will give you and your family time to really know whether UK is best. Dorset is lovely, but there was a news story a few months back about how difficult it was for young people to get jobs there. Pleased to hear that the move is going well.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Dorset is lovely, but there was a news story a few months back about how difficult it was for young people to get jobs there. Pleased to hear that the move is going well.
Indeed! Not much for young people to do, or even students needing to provide income to cover their studies, apart from wait tables and work in retail. I would say that most decent employment here is in heavy marine engineering and support, such as welding - the same good stuff that youth should look to get into nationwide.

There is quite a bit of work available in home maintenance and fixer-uppers which youth do not appear to be so inclined to consider for one reason or another.

In North Dorset there is more potential to commute into the Bristol area to find work.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 17th 2014 at 2:01 pm. Reason: In North Dorset there is more potential to commute into the Bristol area to find work.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are probably more employment opportunities further east in Dorset - Bournemouth & Poole for example. There are a few large financial institutions, couple of large hospitals and the university etc. Plenty of other places too, I should imagine.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
I think there are probably more employment opportunities further east in Dorset - Bournemouth & Poole for example. There are a few large financial institutions, couple of large hospitals and the university etc. Plenty of other places too, I should imagine.
As soon as I saw your post flick up rebs I just knew that I should have mentioned that there are indeed better and more varied employment opportunities in the private sector in the Bournemouth Poole area - folks such as JP Morgan and Cobham and other aerospace-related industries. Plenty of marine stuff over there too of course.

Still always subconsciously (I guess) think of Bournemouth as really being in Hampshire still .
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Have taken my first air trip 'away', to Glasgow (GLA) on Easyjet to visit family.

From Weymouth bought a rail ticket 'to the airport' in Bristol (took exactly three hours in total as air shuttle buses are waiting at Temple Meads and traffic is light around 2:00pm) so I'm happy to use that route to go off on trips looking for Vitamin D next year - plenty of sunny destinations on offer - as it works out much cheaper and faster than going to Gatwick. Southampton is quicker by rail (at 1 3/4 hours) but only offers FlyBe and 'charters' and FlyBe is now typically a bit more expensive due to the bags policy and destinations are far more limited.

Aer Lingus have through-fares to the US from Bristol via Dublin (or Shannon) as well, where one can pre-clear US Customs and Immigration. There's KLM via Schiphol (AMS) if going the 'other way', or just about anywhere. You could of course use Easyjet to Amsterdam and then buy a non Air Passenger Duty fare onwards from there.

Bristol Airport is going through an expansion programme but at this point is relatively quiet with no queuing for take-off or landing. It's big for Easyjet.

Main - in terms of flight frequency - carriers operating out of Bristol (BRS) are Easyjet, Ryanair, Thomas Cook & Thomson, BMI Regional and Aer Lingus, pretty much in that order.

Easyjet are strictly enforcing their ONE BAG ONLY of standard carry-on size for carry-ons so a laptop bag means something has to 'give' and mine had to be buried in my carry-on. However, weight is seemingly not an issue which pushes it ahead of competitors such as FlyBe (10 kgs) and even Ryanair (10 kgs), but the goalposts are ever changing as Ryanair, for example, tries to be more passenger-friendly . Checking just one bag on Easyjet can be expensive - in the 30 pounds plus range.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:13 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Settling in

Have taken my first air trip 'away', to Glasgow (GLA) on Easyjet to visit family.

From Weymouth bought a rail ticket 'to the airport' in Bristol (took exactly three hours in total as air shuttle buses are waiting at Temple Meads and traffic is light around 2:00pm) so I'm happy to use that route to go off on trips looking for Vitamin D next year - plenty of sunny destinations on offer - as it works out much cheaper and faster than going to Gatwick. Southampton is quicker by rail (at 1 3/4 hours) but only offers FlyBe and 'charters' and FlyBe is now typically a bit more expensive due to the bags policy and destinations are far more limited.

Aer Lingus have through-fares to the US from Bristol via Dublin (or Shannon) as well, where one can pre-clear US Customs and Immigration. There's KLM via Schiphol (AMS) if going the 'other way', or just about anywhere. You could of course use Easyjet to Amsterdam and then buy a non Air Passenger Duty fare onwards from there.

Bristol Airport is going through an expansion programme but at this point is relatively quiet with no queuing for take-off or landing. It's big for Easyjet.

Main - in terms of flight frequency - carriers operating out of Bristol (BRS) are Easyjet, Ryanair, Thomas Cook & Thomson, BMI Regional and Aer Lingus, pretty much in that order.

Easyjet are strictly enforcing their ONE BAG ONLY of standard carry-on size for carry-ons so a laptop bag means something has to 'give' and mine had to be buried in my carry-on. However, weight is seemingly not an issue which pushes it ahead of competitors such as FlyBe (10 kgs) and even Ryanair (10 kgs), but the goalposts are ever changing as Ryanair, for example, tries to be more passenger-friendly . Checking just one bag on Easyjet can be expensive - in the 30 pounds plus range.
I flew from Luton airport (London Luton according to the airline lol!) to Zurich on 3rd October. With Easyjet.

I checked in 2 suitcases weighing 20kg and it cost £28 (ie. 2 x £14) and I had a lightweight rucksack for my iPad/phones/camera, purse etc. which had enough room to buy a Percy Pig Advent calendar, Christmas Pudding Biscuits x 2 from M&S before security and then magazines and newspapers post security.

I paid for the suitcases before travelling to Luton airport. It is made very clear on their website that one pays more for checked luggage at the airport. I have one of those battery operated weighing scales and double checked the weight at LTN just before checking in on the commercial weighing machine there - so I had enough space in my rucksack in case I had to take something out if necessary. I was pleased that my little scales were accurate
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We've found that too, Englishmum - checked baggage for Easy
Jet was quite cheap when booked online with the flight, but the one time we had to purchase more at the airport it was about triple the cost (from memory).

I love Easy Jet, have never had a flight cancelled or late to depart and the staff were cheery enough. Have only used RyanAir once, and found the cabin staff to be absolutely lovely.

The aircraft was being refueled when we were waiting for takeoff with Ryan Air. Scouse was mumbling something about dinky little planes, and saying that he hoped Ryan Air had paid their fuel bills or we'd probably have to all get off again. Shortly afterwards, a bloke came up the steps and handed the fuel bill to one of the flight attendants, with the request that she give it to the pilot. Too funny

Another laugh they gave us - just before take-off they asked for 5 volunteers from the front of the plane to move down the back - any volunteers would be able to move back up the front after take-off and would get a free drink as well. The reason for the request was the plane's weight was unevenly distributed and they couldn't take-off until this was fixed. More laughing, as well as looking sideways at our neighbours to see who the fat buggers were. At that time, post injury, I think I was one of them!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:32 am
Yo

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We've found that too, Englishmum - checked baggage for Easy
Jet was quite cheap when booked online with the flight, but the one time we had to purchase more at the airport it was about triple the cost (from memory).

I love Easy Jet, have never had a flight cancelled or late to depart and the staff were cheery enough. Have only used RyanAir once, and found the cabin staff to be absolutely lovely.

The aircraft was being refueled when we were waiting for takeoff with Ryan Air. Scouse was mumbling something about dinky little planes, and saying that he hoped Ryan Air had paid their fuel bills or we'd probably have to all get off again. Shortly afterwards, a bloke came up the steps and handed the fuel bill to one of the flight attendants, with the request that she give it to the pilot. Too funny

Another laugh they gave us - just before take-off they asked for 5 volunteers from the front of the plane to move down the back - any volunteers would be able to move back up the front after take-off and would get a free drink as well. The reason for the request was the plane's weight was unevenly distributed and they couldn't take-off until this was fixed. More laughing, as well as looking sideways at our neighbours to see who the fat buggers were. At that time, post injury, I think I was one of them!
Air travel. So glamorous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.