Scottish Politics

Old Oct 25th 2020, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scottish Politics

Outsiders might think that the SNP and The Scottish Government are run by Nicola Sturgeon ,or her husband Peter Murrell, who is CEO of that party.

There are others in the ruling clique, as the Rev Stuart Campbell points out

https://wingsoverscotland.com/soapbo...n/#more-119796

A commentator here says - "The SNP has turned into a meal ticket organisation and appears to favour meal ticket groupies to real committed members for indie."
Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Politics

Although I have always been interested in following British politics,as a person born in England,I do not favour any particular party in Scotland.I just want that country to thrive & it will be my choice of where to finish my days.In the 1970´s I voted to join the EU in that first referendum & have been a supporter ever since especially as I chose to start a business in another EU country some years later & did well there simply because I was a European citizen as stated on my ID card.It is my hope that Scotland will decide to "go it alone" & separate from the hold that MY birth country has.Perhaps not a popular view that most of my own fellow countrymen hold as I can then foresee that even the principality of Wales could possibly start a few mumblings.I was never a labour party supporter when I WAS allowed a vote in UK,taken away by the Tory party because it was deemed we,who have been abroad for more than 15 years are exempt for any say ,even that in the EU referendum.Would be interesting for me to have your comments regarding what you think & I can then share those views on forums in my region.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of blogs worth looking at if you want to keep in touch with what is happening in Scottish politics.
Wings Over Scotland
Craig Murray
YoursforScotland by Iain Lawson
Bella Caledonia
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.theoxfordblue.co.uk/2020...Iu3hAvbo-2ghsM

A view from Oxford !
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Although I have always been interested in following British politics,as a person born in England,I do not favour any particular party in Scotland.I just want that country to thrive & it will be my choice of where to finish my days.In the 1970´s I voted to join the EU in that first referendum & have been a supporter ever since especially as I chose to start a business in another EU country some years later & did well there simply because I was a European citizen as stated on my ID card.It is my hope that Scotland will decide to "go it alone" & separate from the hold that MY birth country has.Perhaps not a popular view that most of my own fellow countrymen hold as I can then foresee that even the principality of Wales could possibly start a few mumblings.I was never a labour party supporter when I WAS allowed a vote in UK,taken away by the Tory party because it was deemed we,who have been abroad for more than 15 years are exempt for any say ,even that in the EU referendum.Would be interesting for me to have your comments regarding what you think & I can then share those views on forums in my region.
I agree and feel Scotland has so much potential but the whole idea of Britain is holding them back. I see similar in Ireland and the last time I drove up to Belfast, it got me thinking how lucky we are in the Republic.
Especially when it comes to foreign investment and new jobs, being in the UK means that a city like Belfast is missing out on so many things.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I agree and feel Scotland has so much potential but the whole idea of Britain is holding them back. I see similar in Ireland and the last time I drove up to Belfast, it got me thinking how lucky we are in the Republic.
Especially when it comes to foreign investment and new jobs, being in the UK means that a city like Belfast is missing out on so many things.
I went to Belfast on a wedding anniversary a few years back and loved the place but it was blindingly obvious that they were a whole generation behind the UK as far as tourism and infrastructure was concerned. 30 years of The Troubles didn't help certainly but the place had so much potential. Unfortunately it's politicians are still fighting old battles and can barely agree on anything.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
I went to Belfast on a wedding anniversary a few years back and loved the place but it was blindingly obvious that they were a whole generation behind the UK as far as tourism and infrastructure was concerned. 30 years of The Troubles didn't help certainly but the place had so much potential. Unfortunately it's politicians are still fighting old battles and can barely agree on anything.
We've been twice and it really is a strange place. I loved the city centre and we walked along the docks to Titanic but apart from the museum it seemed empty and that surprised me most. Of course it's not a huge city, though when I compare with Galway where we live, it really felt like Belfast has the potential to attract more tourists and companies. And if you think how close Scotland is, there are loads of opportunities to be connected.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which will come first ? A United Ireland ? Or an Independent Scotland ?
Old Oct 27th 2020, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
Which will come first ? A United Ireland ? Or an Independent Scotland ?
Hard one but I'd say an Independent Scotland. After visiting the North, it does seem like they have a long way to go and wouldn't be ready. I'd say it's more likely you'd have an Independent Northern Ireland and things in Sport (Rugby already) would be Ireland. The Republic of Ireland has come a long way in recent years but I think many would also be scared of the costs or actually don't see the benefit. We already have the € as currency and many are just happy the way it is now and don't want to be involved.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses, Too many "Little Irelanders" ?
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fireworks in Scotland, not widely reported in the Outside World. The fallout from The Salmond Trial continues - https://yoursforscotlandcom.wordpres...esht-for-indy/
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://civillibertyscotland.com/ More on the aftermath of The Salmond case. It is not over yet.