Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes
39.76%
No
60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Originally Posted by NEWCOMO
There is more for the rest of the UK if Scotland is independent.

1. More Debt v Population
2. Pound will fall against major currencies
3. Great Britain will not exist. Political issues, EU, NATO, Globally.
4. Britain will not exist... Embassies etc
5. Northern Ireland. Westminster will be weak. NI will be up next for a reunited Ireland since the republics(Catholics) outnumber all unionists. (prods).
6. Wales will seek its chance in 600 years.
7. England with 55M pop, will be saddled with Bank of England known debts of 1.4tn GBP...
8., England will go bust-.civil war, end of monarchy.
Riiight.

<shakes head>
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Letter in the Guardian this morning:

Dear Scotland,

I fear it’s too late, and you’ve decided, but really I would prefer that you didn’t leave the union. I speak as a Brit who doesn’t want to be reduced to being an Englishman. You won’t understand this because you’ve always been happy within your Scottish skin. This is my problem and I’ll get used to it in time, that’s true, and who knows, maybe I’ll even look upon the cross of Saint George as something other than a stranger, but I’ll feel diminished. You may not feel British, but equally I don’t feel entirely English. I’m bigger than that – you, the Welsh and the Northern Irish make me feel bigger than that.
It’s possible that what you think of as Englishness is something that I also don’t recognise. I’m not posh. I didn’t go to private school. I believe in social justice. I don’t vote Tory. I don’t patronise the Celts, or anyone else. I try to be a good citizen, I don’t want to leave Europe. What you rail against, I rail against. Together we are better able to fight the forces of conservatism. The governments you didn’t vote for are the governments I didn’t vote for.
You’ll still be there, where you have always been, but it will still feel like I’ve been divorced in a process in which I wasn’t allowed a say. You’ve moved on, you need to find yourself, be your own country. But can we not be reconciled? Can we not yet find common ground?
I had always regarded the union (us) as something of an obstreperous, slightly dysfunctional but ultimately common family. Is the only answer to go our separate ways? For me it’s about the future that we can make together, not the past. If you can’t, we’re done for, I accept that. But if you can, let us work together to make the union a better place for all of us. Every one of us. Give it another shot. Don’t give up on us now.

Geoff Cordell

London
Old Sep 9th 2014, 4:35 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEWCOMO
There is more for the rest of the UK if Scotland is independent.

1. More Debt v Population
2. Pound will fall against major currencies
3. Great Britain will not exist. Political issues, EU, NATO, Globally.
4. Britain will not exist... Embassies etc
5. Northern Ireland. Westminster will be weak. NI will be up next for a reunited Ireland since the republics(Catholics) outnumber all unionists. (prods).
6. Wales will seek its chance in 600 years.
7. England with 55M pop, will be saddled with Bank of England known debts of 1.4tn GBP...
8., England will go bust-.civil war, end of monarchy.
You're funny.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 4:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
We will never get rid of the Royal Family!!!
I certainly hope not, definitely cant see it happening. They are so popular and if nothing else generate a huge income stream.
As far as the independence question there should have been a 'Who cares' option
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd vote yes. Before we visited Scotland for our first trip home last April, I was leaning towards the 'no' camp. I didn't believe Scotland could make anything of itself; to me Scotland has always seemed rather apathetic, keen to point the finger of blame at others. However being back home, and now reading the articles and information from both sides, I have slowly but surely come around to the 'yes' camp, to the extent that I just ordered a 'yes' bumper sticker from Scotland for my truck here in NS

I have friends - including my sister and her husband - who are staunchly no voters. And I have friends - including my mum and dad - who are staunchly yes. It is slightly unnerving to have topics of conversation that basically have to be avoided because they get too heated (I've already had a minor falling out with one friend in Scotland on this subject).

Personally, I believe it's time Scotland was in charge of its own affairs. That's what it boils down to for me... too often things are imposed on Scotland, or the Scottish complain because it's all coming from south east England. Well this is the chance to change that. I actually think it is a lot like emigrating... you can plan, and wonder what it will be like, but you can never *know*. Independence is a risk, emigrating is a risk. (Granted, I'm posting this in the 'Moving back to the UK' forum so this argument might not work so well ). When we emigrated we didn't have any safety blanket, it could have all gone wrong, but it didn't. We took a risk to improve our situation and it worked. We had to work at it, there were ups and downs, but it was worth it. So much of the 'no' campaign has been scaremongering... what if this happens, what if that happens, you can't possibly manage on your own and so on. I couldn't believe it when I saw the Better Together ad with the woman in her kitchen. Good grief! Focus on fearful 'what if' arguments and you'll never leave your house in the morning 'just in case'. And they keep wheeling out celebrities, as if what David Bowie or Ally McCoist has to say should affect peoples decisions. And the offer of devo-max 11 days before the vote is actually illegal, but no major media is reporting that because they're all pro-union. Which is a little depressing.
I think the Scots need motivation, and this could be it. From what I gather the referendum has really galvanised the country, voter turnout is expected to be huge. That is a great thing, whatever the result.

It frustrates me that I can't vote... I only left Scotland in 2013, I have a UK passport and that's it (which I presume will turn into a Scottish one?), so although I don't live in Scotland I am still tied to it. But I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

If you've not seen it the BT lady is here:

And this article in the Guardian made me chuckle..
England’s love-bombing of Scotland is a pathetic afterthought | Suzanne Moore | Comment is free | theguardian.com

OK I'll stop rambling now
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottih Independence - what would you vote?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm certain that lesser people would come, but likely not fewer.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:17 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Since I'm not a Scot or living in Scotland, I can't know for certain how I'd vote if I were. But, I think I'd probably be voting Yes.

I started out as a No supporter, but with every sympathy for Scots who wanted to guarantee that they'd never have another Tory government their nation hadn't voted for. But as the campaign has continued I've been drawn more and more to the other side.

Even the arguments that Scottish independence is a disaster for the rest of GB doesn't impress me now. For example: why should we retain our seat on the UN Security Council? It is an anomaly that does nothing to make the UN credible or relevant. Yet the possible loss of our ability to 'punch above our weight' as a nation gets trotted out in almost every discussion on the referendum. Given the quality of our recent PMs, reducing their chances of strutting their stuff as "world leaders" sounds like a good idea to me.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a thought - if the referendum results in a Yes majority, what would be the list of credible Scottish Prime Ministers? TBH, I am not really impressed with any of the potential front-runners. Salmond is a good First Minister because of his potent personality, but he is a one-trick pony (pouring scorn on Westminster politics in the cause of independence).

[Not saying we have much choice in the UK either, though David Milliband would have been if his traitorous sibling hadn't shafted him].
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Here's a thought - if the referendum results in a Yes majority, what would be the list of credible Scottish Prime Ministers? TBH, I am not really impressed with any of the potential front-runners. Salmond is a good First Minister because of his potent personality, but he is a one-trick pony (pouring scorn on Westminster politics in the cause of independence).

[Not saying we have much choice in the UK either, though David Milliband would have been if his traitorous sibling hadn't shafted him].
Gordon Brown
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Gordon Brown
The thought had crossed my mind, albeit fleetingly.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Gordon Brown
Billy Connelly.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

Billy Connelly.
Or Shir Shawn?
Alan Cummings?
JK Rowling?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dunroving
Or Shir Shawn?
Alan Cummings?
JK Rowling?
All good.

Oor Wullie?
Old Sep 13th 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Billy Connelly.
Who's that?

I'm not sure a Billy Connolly tribute act would be that great, to be honest.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 4:03 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

If they really want Scottish Independence.... then THEY LIVE BY THOSE WORDS

You go it alone.

No NHS
NO British Passports
NO British Sterling (pound)
NO England TV
NO JSA/HB/CB

IF you scots really want to go it alone then you eat your own cake and get your own 'Independence'

Scottish Passports
SHS? (Scotland Health Service)
Scottish JSA? or scrap it?
No more BBC for you
No British Pound (get ya own Scottish pound)

I could go on.... it only seems fair... because if you still use NHS/BBC/BRIT PASSPORTS etc.. what the hell is the point of your so called ' Scottish Independence' ??

Waste of complete utter time and bunch of old b0ll0cks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.