Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes
39.76%
No
60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's just possible that I didn't mean the phrase to be taken literally ... anymore than you did with the statement that the US Constitution has held that place back 200 years.
It literally has. A high proportion of the US population seems to think that the world has stood still since the eighteenth century, and the US has no particular need to upgrade to the twenty first century. Much less flexible than the UK situation.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It literally has. A high proportion of the US population seems to think that the world has stood still since the eighteenth century, and the US has no particular need to upgrade to the twenty first century. Much less flexible than the UK situation.
No, not literally. I think you're confusing the 2nd Amendment with the Constitution itself. I don't believe you can have failed to note that in the last 200 years US history has not been static.

Moreover, when I suggested considering a written constitution for the UK, I wasn't suggesting it model itself on the US one.

The German one or the Canadian one perhaps, but certainly not that one.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, not literally. I think you're confusing the 2nd Amendment with the Constitution itself. I don't believe you can have failed to note that in the last 200 years US history has not been static.
What Robin says rings true for me. There are forces which see the constitution as a rigid formula. Hence things like opposition to electoral reform, which is sorely needed. 'The Founding Fathers said' is a litany.

I guess I'm just saying that I would have been in favour of one before moving there.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What Robin says rings true for me. There are forces which see the constitution as a rigid formula. Hence things like opposition to electoral reform, which is sorely needed. 'The Founding Fathers said' is a litany.

I guess I'm just saying that I would have been in favour of one before moving there.
I'm not disagreeing with that. It's not relevant to the subject under discussion though. Your disillusionment with written constitutions in general is traceable to your having, like me, spent too long in America.

The point of all this is that, if the UK is going to change its governance structure, something that seems increasingly probable, then it'll have to be put in writing in a way which is both solid and flexible in well defined ways.

The next bit is directed more at Editha than you, specifically her concern that an English Assembly/Parliament would dominate a UK/federal one.

The solution to that would have to be codified and my suggestion would be to have perhaps five or six Regional Assemblies instead, each with equal weight and powers, with the usual Federal powers reserved for a Federal UK Parliament.