Scotland,Land of the Free for all

Old May 12th 2021, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland,Land of the Free for all

Well that´s the elections over now so down to the nitty gritty.The town that I relocated to from Spain just 3 months ago was previously a lone tory held council in this Scottish region.There was a long queue of voters waiting their turn when I went early on in the day.We had to wait till the afternoon next day to find that it had resulted in an SNP gain.The turnout throughout Scotland was about 69% or more & this in the snowy/wet/windy Spring weather.Apart from the Border towns,part of Edinburgh & parts of the Highlands & Islands it seems that the SNP certainly have a solid following.And with the Greens, have the support to ask for a new referendum.Those voters in favour of this had a good choice as,although the Lib.Dems.want to wait,they too agree generally ,only the Tories are following their leader by rejecting the idea.This is the 1st.time that I chose to vote for a different Party,one that was not Tory I can understand the resentment felt by the Scots..I know the anger I felt at being denied a vote in the Brexit referendum just as thousands of other ex-pats.did simply because we had chosen to live away for a number of years,a term set by a Tory Govn.After a petition was raised we were promised "a debate" on this but too late for that crucial Brexit result & then told "there was no time " for it due to the election that handed power to Boris.To be fair to the Tory candidate standing for re-election in the town,I asked him what were his views on this & also the British Govn´s regarding Scottish Independence(as he,unlike myself is Scottish born).He told me that there is to be a review hopefully in the next Parliament (I´ve heard that before !)to consider the issue of granting"votes for life" which wholeheartedly would get his approval.However he declined to answer on the subject of Independence.But give him his due, he was willing to have a conversation with me.The fact that Nicola Sturgeon has to rely on other Parties to implement policies,will mean some moderation to some of the wild promises hopefully.but surely we have had plenty of practice in saying"Oh,Yeah" listening to Bonkers Boris for a while now.I don´t think you can say the Scottish NHS is poor,rather the whole UK NHS is a disgrace,not much to chose there especially compared to the Spanish system I was used to.Has Boris dropped the scheme which suggested a new bridge to connect Stranraer to Larne which has at present links to N.Ireland?This was to provide another International conduit for goods etc.Has he actually been there?A few more millions needed,I imagine,from that magic money tree before we could see a European convoy of juggernauts on the required new roadworks to that impressive construction,eat your heart out Forth Road bridge.The next few months will be interesting to see who blinks first.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

The SNP wants to govern with the Greens. It's just a wait and see when the next referendum is going to happen and how long it would take for Boris to give in to that demand.....
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TexanScot
......As someone who voted No last time but would probably vote Yes now, it's just not about the money any more...
As far as the Human Development Index (which relates to a country's standard of living, economic progress, etc.) is concerned, Ireland is the second best place in the World to live. So, if this is what Ireland can achieve, why not Scotland? But I don't think the SNP are the people to do it with their fiscal record? As someone from the north of England, I see the inequity investment throughout the UK every day. Why people in the UK think that this Eton crowd are the best people to govern them is beyond me. There was a day when people went into politics because they wanted to serve. Now it is to feather their own nest. I just wish that they would not make it so blatently obvious.