The rose tinted glasses are off.

Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The rose tinted glasses are off.

I moved to Folkestone over 13 years ago. It has it's scruffy areas like most towns along with a homeless and drug problem like many seaside towns. I agree the shopping centre is dire especially with the loss of Debenhams but again no different to many areas. But there has been so much investment and redevelopment which is ongoing but slowed down due to the lockdown. But I must have my rose tinted glasses still on as I love it here. It has beautiful walks a sandy beach near the fabulous harbour arm lots going on and some great restaurants. It's rail link to get into London has brought more people to the town and all I see is it is on the up! slowly slowly ...
Old Aug 14th 2020, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who replied and put in their two cents worth of opinion. You've all added a bit to the conversation and Pulaski got me thinking about whether my age has a large part to play in it. Of course it does! I am less tolerant but as a friend once said " you only get what you settle for." I've seen a better England so why settle for any of the negatives? I'll always work for a more positive change in my surroundings...town or country...wherever I end up.
Covid has had a massive amount to do with the negative nosy parkering by one and all but the upshot of Covid lockdown was that the streets were so clean!!! It was bliss for those few silent weeks when there was no one tearing up the road at 2am at 60 mph; no stink of petrol fumes, no drunks shouting and swearing at each other at 120dB in a Saturday night, no litter, polite behaviour enforced by social distancing. I thrive being in silence and being on my own so I loved it.
As for the reimagining of Folkestone as an artists' community? That's a stretch. But,there are some cracking places to visit in the Kent countryside so I'll make an effort to visit some. Canterbury is a favourite spot. A couples hours spent in the cathedral is always a highlight for me.
I'm writing from Vermont where I'm currently holed up, waiting for a couple of medical procedures before heading back, probably for good.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
..... A couples hours spent in the cathedral is always a highlight for me. .....
That, I presume, typo, conjures up some interesting imagery.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That, I presume, typo, conjures up some interesting imagery.
Freudian slip!!
Old Aug 14th 2020, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Freudian slip!!
Given the precarious finances of even the most famous cathedrals and churches in the UK, and that many have been accepting national lottery money, which seems more than a little incongruous to me, perhaps "couples hours" is a money-raising opportunity they should consider?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be put off trying .. I live in San Diego too and know how beautiful it is here as well. I also understand the draw of "home" .. I bought a flat there 6 years ago and have been going back a few months a year.. I'm at the point now where I plan to make the UK my primary residence for all the positive reasons you stated :-)
Old Sep 9th 2020, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point

No offence to Kentish folk but Folkestone is one of the last places I would choose to live. I've never been myself but I've seen enough rubbish coastal towns to know the seaside is not for me. I'm sure there are some wonderful places in Kent. I mean they don't call it the garden of England for nothing. I came to Canada 10 years ago knowing it was a 15 year adventure at most. I never intended to stay permanently, at best I was always going to be a snowbird but after 10 years here 4 months in Florida or Arizona every winter looks less and less appealing and flying to and from England every 6 months will also get very tedious very fast so we have to make a choice and roll with it. England is a no brainer for us but with family and friends all over the country we are looking for somewhere in the middle. Somewhere between Stratford upon avon and the M4 lol. May take us 10 more years to choose.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by what_if
..... I'm sure there are some wonderful places in Kent. I mean they don't call it the garden of England for nothing. ....
It's because there are a lot of fruit and vegetable farms there, not because it is particularly pretty.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's because there are a lot of fruit and vegetable farms there, not because it is particularly pretty.
Indeed and while inland has some nicer parts, it really is a strange place. Most of the s...holes like Folkestone are on the coast which makes the whole coast kind of unattractive and beaches are not nice in general. Inland is nicer but apart from Canterbury, there's either expensive and posh villages, or you get dirty rough towns with no character. Job market was never great either and London commute too stressful from coast.The only advantage was the short ferry time to France, so the travel time to Spain would have been shorter than we have now (if you could afford it). Climate also decent enough on that side of the country.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 9th 2020 at 2:43 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Eye opening and always good to hear many perspectives and experiences in moving back. I'm of similar mind. Not at all thrilled with the values here in the US, and pretty awful these last 4 years. But not liking what I read and hear about Brexit and the anti-EU (or European) attitudes that have been on the rise since the referendum. I'm now questioning when and where to make our return, with perhaps Scotland or Ireland a better fit from a political and cultural perspective.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Eye opening and always good to hear many perspectives and experiences in moving back. I'm of similar mind. Not at all thrilled with the values here in the US, and pretty awful these last 4 years. But not liking what I read and hear about Brexit and the anti-EU (or European) attitudes that have been on the rise since the referendum. I'm now questioning when and where to make our return, with perhaps Scotland or Ireland a better fit from a political and cultural perspective.
I'm in Ireland myself and quality of life certainly better for us than back in Kent. We're near Galway ourselves, it's less crowded, you have a small City full of life/culture and even on a rainy day the scenery is stunning. You can drive out to the coast and feel you're a million miles away, or just grab a coffee, sit in a cozy pub and enjoy your surroundings. The people don't seem as stressed and it's just more friendly in general. We're still working but have a small place in Spain, so with the ferry connection these days, we have no reason to go to Kent. One of the beaches we stopped at a few weeks ago. Of course not always like that but still worse places you could be.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 9th 2020 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm in Ireland myself and quality of life certainly better for us than back in Kent. We're near Galway ourselves, it's less crowded, you have a small City full of life/culture and even on a rainy day the scenery is stunning. You can drive out to the coast and feel you're a million miles away, or just grab a coffee, sit in a cozy pub and enjoy your surroundings. The people don't seem as stressed and it's just more friendly in general. We're still working but have a small place in Spain, so with the ferry connection these days, we have no reason to go to Kent. One of the beaches we stopped at a few weeks ago. Of course not always like that but still worse places you could be.

Thanks much, Moses. This information is exactly what I was looking for. I just shared your post with my spouse and we see this as something also for us. The photos of the countryside there are wonderful as nature lovers as well. Having a small place to occasionally visit in a warmer climate is perfect. Much of England is so congested, I think Ireland, especially in locations such as yours near Galway, is much better suited for retirees such as ourselves, in addition to the cultural and political aspects. Glad to hear from another likeminded member here.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Thanks much, Moses. This information is exactly what I was looking for. I just shared your post with my spouse and we see this as something also for us. The photos of the countryside there are wonderful as nature lovers as well. Having a small place to occasionally visit in a warmer climate is perfect. Much of England is so congested, I think Ireland, especially in locations such as yours near Galway, is much better suited for retirees such as ourselves, in addition to the cultural and political aspects. Glad to hear from another likeminded member here.
You're welcome and there are many nicer areas one could consider. Since we need to work, Galway is a good option for us. With good work opportunities, you still have easy access to mountains and ocean. But if you don't need to work or are flexible, you have a lot more options. Lough Derg is one of those places that many don't know about but it's a huge lake with lovely spots.
https://discoverloughderg.ie/categor...-and-villages/
Of course it all comes down to budget and like any country there are challenges but more space and being in the EU is a huge plus.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You're welcome and there are many nicer areas one could consider. Since we need to work, Galway is a good option for us. With good work opportunities, you still have easy access to mountains and ocean. But if you don't need to work or are flexible, you have a lot more options. Lough Derg is one of those places that many don't know about but it's a huge lake with lovely spots.
https://discoverloughderg.ie/categor...-and-villages/
Of course it all comes down to budget and like any country there are challenges but more space and being in the EU is a huge plus.
Link looks very good for retirement options. Will need to schedule a visit once overseas travel opens up. EU is definitely a huge plus. Again, many thanks!
Old Sep 10th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a beautiful beach. No rubbish to be seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.