Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Returning home, having left in 1966

Returning home, having left in 1966

Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home, having left in 1966

Congratulations on the new job, I hope you get the accommodations sorted soon.
I'm sure it won't be long before your family joins you.
Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! That is super news. Good luck now with the accommodation.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by quoll
Good for you! That is super news. Good luck now with the accommodation.
I am finding out that I better wait for a room until closer to the date (and that is if I have enough funds for one). Everybody wants to rent their room today and not wait 'till I arrive.

I have a short list of things that as a Brit I need to do once I land.

One of them is register with a gp. I heard that I could be turned away, if he is fully booked. Is that true?

My NI number, applied to by my employer or gp?

Tks.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Returning home, having left in 1966

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
I am finding out that I better wait for a room until closer to the date (and that is if I have enough funds for one). Everybody wants to rent their room today and not wait 'till I arrive.

I have a short list of things that as a Brit I need to do once I land.

One of them is register with a gp. I heard that I could be turned away, if he is fully booked. Is that true?

My NI number, applied to by my employer or gp?

Tks.
You'll need to apply for it yourself and give it to your employer. See here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ni-numbers.htm and here:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

Good luck with the move!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by adele
You'll need to apply for it yourself and give it to your employer. See here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ni-numbers.htm and here:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

Good luck with the move!
And so a week after buying my tickets and lucky enough to have found a room that did not ask for a deposit. Tickets are all non refundable... I get this, after signing the contract:

I am very sorry to inform you that I will not be able to employ
you. This is because the restaurant will be going into
liquidation. Things have come to a head over the last few
days, and there is no way that I can continue.

Of course, knowing that the business was quiet was one
thing, and I thought that I could get through it, but other
forces beyond my control have made it impossible for
me to carry on. ---------------
-----------
Let the bad luck begin! Guess what? I am still going on the 2nd.
T
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no thats awful. Maybe you can spend the days leading up to your flight applying for other positions and letting them know you will be in the country on such and such date an available for interviews in person.
Have you looked further north? Pay is usually a bit less but so is accommodation.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh no thats awful. Maybe you can spend the days leading up to your flight applying for other positions and letting them know you will be in the country on such and such date an available for interviews in person.
Have you looked further north? Pay is usually a bit less but so is accommodation.
Have my eyes superglued to the internet, reapplying for positions, etc. Not wasting any time.

My cv clearly states now that I am available from Oct. 2nd. onwards. That may open some eyes and have appts. set up quickly.

Bassetts Allsorts Licorice, here I come!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Have you tried.
http://www.leisurejobs.com/
and
http://www.jobs1.co.uk/directory/rec...spitality.html
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have now...
Cheers.
T
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Have my eyes superglued to the internet, reapplying for positions, etc. Not wasting any time.

My cv clearly states now that I am available from Oct. 2nd. onwards. That may open some eyes and have appts. set up quickly.

Bassetts Allsorts Licorice, here I come!!!!!!!

When first went back, I set myself up with a local temp agency. They had me working in 2 days. Permanent job in 3 months.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

A good website is:

www.retailchoice.com

They might have something of interest to you...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what a bummer! Both my boys joined an agency (I think it was Arrow) when they moved over for their "trip of a lifetime" experience and both were working within days - they didnt mind what they did and had less experience to sell than you do so I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with it all though.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

I have now...
Cheers.
T
Let me update...

Arrived here Oct. 2nd. Had a few interviews lined up. I thought I would arrive with 1000 pounds. I arrived with 700. Left extra funds to my wife and son.

Made arrangements with a mom who needed her son picked up from school twice a week, in return for free room. After many emails and phone calls and her checking references, we agreed.

While there, in Epsom Surrey, I traveled on National Rail going to interviews. 3 days later she told me she found a student and did not want to pay council tax, so I left.

Two councils refused to help me find shelter, as I had no NI contributions. Did not refer me to any, either. In any event, I continued with interviews.

I have now been hired as a GM for a large restaurant in Buckinghamshire and start on Sunday. Live in, thank God.

Bad news is that I will not get paid until December 12th. as they withold 1 month. WTF?

Anyway, I have my chin up and looking forward to settling down, and bring my wife and son in March sometime.

Rough first week, though.

A lot of sun in London, nice to eat fish and chips.
But people here look so miserable.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:21 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Let me update...

Arrived here Oct. 2nd. Had a few interviews lined up. I thought I would arrive with 1000 pounds. I arrived with 700. Left extra funds to my wife and son.

Made arrangements with a mom who needed her son picked up from school twice a week, in return for free room. After many emails and phone calls and her checking references, we agreed.

While there, in Epsom Surrey, I traveled on National Rail going to interviews. 3 days later she told me she found a student and did not want to pay council tax, so I left.

Two councils refused to help me find shelter, as I had no NI contributions. Did not refer me to any, either. In any event, I continued with interviews.

I have now been hired as a GM for a large restaurant in Buckinghamshire and start on Sunday. Live in, thank God.

Bad news is that I will not get paid until December 12th. as they withold 1 month. WTF?

Anyway, I have my chin up and looking forward to settling down, and bring my wife and son in March sometime.

Rough first week, though.

A lot of sun in London, nice to eat fish and chips.
But people here look so miserable.
Sounds to me like you had a lot of ups and downs. We had a rough 4 weeks - but now a job for me and a flat are sorted out. But the fact is that it is tough to settle/re-settle anywhere in the beginning. You' will find it tough to get a flat in the UK, for example, without credit rating or income.

The pay thing is not uncommon. It depends on the company. It is sometimes intended to make sure you do not run away from the job without giving notice.

Good luck with the new job.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Good luck with your new job. It's tough to find yourself ''working a month in hand'' in your first job.

The amount of time you work"in hand" would depend on your starting date and the company pay date.
Most companies do payroll at the same time each month and everyone is paid on the same day.

Suppose you begin work on the 1st of the month and the company pay date is the 14th, you would be included in that payroll.
If you begin on the 1st and the pay date is the 4th you would not be included in that pay roll mainly because it would have been prepared before you started the job.
This would mean working for more than a month with no pay and many companies would consider a small advance at some point to tide you over.

Don't be afraid to ask your payroll office about a *sub 'till payday*, it's entirely normal in these circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.