Reluctantly returning to UK....:(

Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice
Smile Re: Reluctantly returning to UK....:(

Originally Posted by Issie
Good luck Mike

My family live in the IOM .......sure is a cold and damp place in the winter

We leave for perth om 10 wks.....Heading to Carine
Hi Issie Where do your family live on the Isle of Man......Where about in the UK are you moving from........Best of luck in Perth.......I think I remember Carine,,,,is it in the northern suburbs....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:14 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reluctantly returning to UK....:(

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree that 2 months is long enough to get yourself in a right old state and be miserable beyond what you would ever imagine on your way out to a new adventure. I certainly don't dispute the possibilty that within such a short time a person could be completely at the end of his/her tether.

I also believe that many on here who felt that way after just two months hadn't changed too much 1 year or 2 years further on (conversely, there have been plenty of examples who eventually adjusted and were glad they stuck it out).

I don't believe that 2 months is enough time to make the major decision to return, especially in this situation where others are involved. The possibility that things MIGHT get better is enough to wait it out a while longer before considering the massive undertaking of going all the way back to the UK.

So saith the ping-pong-ping-ponger!!
Problem is he never wanted to come in the first place. He wanted to come initially when his folks emigrated, but he has been undecided about the whole thing. One minute he couldn't wait to start a new life here in Perth the next he got cold feet and didn't want to leave the UK.

The main reasons he gives for wanting to return are the fact he pays so much just for the privilage of working, including tax on earnings, licences to work, cards, courses etc. He feels the state taxes are too high with GST and the current price of food due to the alleged drought...ridiculous when no one here in WA seems to use grey water or recycled water or water saving measures, retics going all over the place and most of it being wasted in the road and pavements, basically he is angry they dont use wind power, solar power etc here to save resources when they have the elements to use.
He truly believes that we are worse off here financially than back in the UK and with the two year qualifying period for some state benefits and for lending for house loans/mortgages he is well and truly peed off!

I do find myself agreeing on the financial side of things we have never had it so bad as here.

I do think that we need to give it more time. We would if we didn't have a baby on the way I think. I still want to stay but I can see no way of changing hubby's mind set. Hopefully we will all get the chance to come back one day soon and maybe he will get fed up of the UK enough again to come back here. I think though for me I wouldn't come back to Perth. I might try Brisbane or South Australia.
For now I just have to concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy and taking care of myself. Time to be a bit selfish I think. Thanks for all your support and comments yet again xx
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
For now I just have to concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy and taking care of myself. Time to be a bit selfish I think. Thanks for all your support and comments yet again xx

EXACTLY, goodluck and hope you have a healthy , happy pregnancy
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is he never wanted to come in the first For now I just have to concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy and taking care of myself. Time to be a bit selfish I think. Thanks for all your support and comments yet again xx
Rachel, Certainly agree with you on this. Look after yourself & the bump & I wish you a healthy pregnancy!
Best wishes,
Sally
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzienurse, will you 3 come to the meet up in King's Park on the 25th? It might be nice to have a day out with the family meeting some new people. Check the meetups section. We would love to see you there.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:32 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi Issie Where do your family live on the Isle of Man......Where about in the UK are you moving from........Best of luck in Perth.......I think I remember Carine,,,,is it in the northern suburbs....
They live in Onchan.

We are here in the North West and yes Carine is Northern Suburbs.

We are you in the IOM and where are you heading ?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

We live in Port Erin, which is south of the Island, however we come from Stockport, greater manchester, been here just over 7 years. My sister lives in secret harbour, near Rockingam. We hope to move to Mandurah which is the fastest growing city in australia. Were about in the North West are you from.....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:42 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem is he never wanted to come in the first place.
Well you know, honey, unless you held a gun to his head and made him sign the paperwork and get on that plane, then he really needs to take responsibility for himself. Whilst I appreciate it's tough, everything you describe here could have been researched by him by starting a thread here and talking to some people in the same or similar industries.
What was he doing with his time exactly?

Rach, best of luck girl. You sound like you have more than enough children to look after.

xxx
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:15 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Port Erin, which is south of the Island, however we come from Stockport, greater manchester, been here just over 7 years. My sister lives in secret harbour, near Rockingam. We hope to move to Mandurah which is the fastest growing city in australia. Were about in the North West are you from.....
Poet Erin is lovely....nicest beach by far

We live near St Helens.

We have had a few from the IOM moving to Oz and my sisters hairdresser is currently in the process of it too .

So when are you moving ?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Its early days yet, I am applying for a business visa and should have sponsorship in a week or so. It them will take between 6 and 12 months to get the Visa. I know Perth very well after living there for those 15 years, stupid thing not to get citizenship when it was available after only 4 years there. The main problem we have are the kids, my eldist is a 17 year old girl and is set in her ways with loads of mates and grat social network, My youngest is is a 13 year old boy who is adamant that he is not moving to australia. We will have to go there on holiday once our visa are through and stay there......I could leave them with my mum in freo...she would sort them out. How many do you know from the Isle of Man that have moved to Perth, The Isle of Man is a good place to live, but bloody boring at times and cold and wet in the winter.....feeling depressed just thinking about the next 6 months on this rock....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:36 am

Its early days yet, I am applying for a business visa and should have sponsorship in a week or so. It them will take between 6 and 12 months to get the Visa. I know Perth very well after living there for those 15 years, stupid thing not to get citizenship when it was available after only 4 years there. The main problem we have are the kids, my eldist is a 17 year old girl and is set in her ways with loads of mates and grat social network, My youngest is is a 13 year old boy who is adamant that he is not moving to australia. We will have to go there on holiday once our visa are through and stay there......I could leave them with my mum in freo...she would sort them out. How many do you know from the Isle of Man that have moved to Perth, The Isle of Man is a good place to live, but bloody boring at times and cold and wet in the winter.....feeling depressed just thinking about the next 6 months on this rock....
IOM is like my second home and i nearly moved there a few years back.....thank god i came to my senses. I am not sure whether i agree about bringing kids up though. My nephew has been a bit of a lad and got into drugs and illegal driving

Three legs
Manx family

Are the only two names i can think of at the moment.

Michelle and her family who own the hairdressers in Douglas are moving too !
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Yes i suppose you are right, but I dont think the kids are as bad here as parts of the UK. There is a lot of drugs here, infact, on our small row of houses there are 2 places where drugs are dealt....I am sure the police know but keep it quiet because they know where they are...still there is still a drugs problem in perth....can,t get away from it....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:02 pm

Yes i suppose you are right, but I dont think the kids are as bad here as parts of the UK. There is a lot of drugs here, infact, on our small row of houses there are 2 places where drugs are dealt....I am sure the police know but keep it quiet because they know where they are...still there is still a drugs problem in perth....can,t get away from it....
I know....drugs are evrywhere unfortunatley

I think the IOM is good for families with little children, thats my opinion anyway.

Good luck with the visa anyway......hope you can win the wife over. I bet you could kick yourself over not getting citizenship
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He feels the state taxes are too high with GST and the current price of food due to the alleged drought...ridiculous when no one here in WA seems to use grey water or recycled water or water saving measures, retics going all over the place and most of it being wasted in the road and pavements, basically he is angry they dont use wind power, solar power etc here to save resources when they have the elements to use.
I have been following this thread a little bit and really feel for you - I agree with everybody else and say be selfish! Especially if you are preggers, you have to think of yourself and not put yourself through any more stress than necessary at the moment.

But I felt compelled to comment on his opinion that 'they don't use wind power' - my hubby works for the British Wind Energy Association so has quite a bit of knowledge of the status of wind worldwide. Oz is apparently one of the fastest increasing markets for wind (evidenced by the fact that he's been head hunted for numerous jobs over there!), already has loads of wind farms and is going to be increasing rapidly in the near future thanks to state based renewable energy targets which have now been introduced. Afraid I have no idea about anything else on your post but just had to add that - if that is one of his 'bugbears' about living in Oz then tell him that things will change fairly rapidly from what I understand. Below is a link which has a list of all of the current wind farms in Australia, hope that may help a bit!

http://www.auswind.org/projects/

Best of luck, I really hope you convince him to stick it out for a bit longer.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:17 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem we have are the kids, my eldist is a 17 year old girl and is set in her ways with loads of mates and grat social network, My youngest is is a 13 year old boy who is adamant that he is not moving to australia.
Every family is different Mike but I would advise anyone think very carefully about uprooting teenagers against their wishes. I only say this because we dragged our 17 year old daughter to Melbourne and if I could have foreseen the heartache and emotional destruction it caused her, there is no way I would have put her through it.

Back home now, I will forever live with the guilt of making that decision to drag her away from everything she knew and loved at such a vulnerable age and for not listening to her and valuing her opinions. The consequences of what we did are irreversable although things are improving now.

Good luck - hope it all works out well for you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.