Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for very dry skin products?

Recommendations for very dry skin products?

Old Jul 28th 2017, 10:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations for very dry skin products?

My skin has always been fairly dry, I assumed that was partly related to living in Perth's hot, dry climate. Managed it pretty well with bog standard moisturizers.

I'm quite surprised that since moving to the UK around 18 months ago, my skin is drier than ever, especially on my arms, legs and heels. I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to highly fragranced moisturizing products.

There seems to be an unending choice of unscented creams and lotions for very dry skin, so rather than try each one until I find one that works (and hopefully doesn't make me smell like a hospital), I thought I'd ask BE members if they have any recommendations.

Ta
Old Jul 28th 2017, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for very dry skin products?

My OH has very dry skin and finds Aveeno products are the best, they do various products which are based on oats ( or extracts of) which target dry skin and always come out well in reviews. He use dry skin relief lotion and I use some of their face creams mostly for SPF.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My skin has always been fairly dry, I assumed that was partly related to living in Perth's hot, dry climate. Managed it pretty well with bog standard moisturizers.

I'm quite surprised that since moving to the UK around 18 months ago, my skin is drier than ever, especially on my arms, legs and heels. I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to highly fragranced moisturizing products.

There seems to be an unending choice of unscented creams and lotions for very dry skin, so rather than try each one until I find one that works (and hopefully doesn't make me smell like a hospital), I thought I'd ask BE members if they have any recommendations.

Ta
E45 works for me (Boots sell it, plus many other places) - closest Aussie product I've found is Alpha Keri, if thats any guide.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bo-Jangles and Polly, much appreciated
Old Jul 29th 2017, 2:39 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I find coconut oil helps. It has to be the pure virgin one, not the processed stuff. I suffer from dry skin and eczema, I feel your pain! Apparently cold and damp air makes it worse. My skin was terrible in the UK, a little better in NZ but always goes away when in hot and humid places.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 4:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I find coconut oil helps. It has to be the pure virgin one, not the processed stuff. I suffer from dry skin and eczema, I feel your pain! Apparently cold and damp air makes it worse. My skin was terrible in the UK, a little better in NZ but always goes away when in hot and humid places.
I use coconut oil on my skin all the time. I have a little dish of it beside my bed and at night before I go to sleep I put a little bit (you only need the smallest amount) on my feet and legs and rub the remains into my hands. It's great stuff, cheap as chips and smells nice.

Aveeno does a bath soak powder stuff that I used to buy for myself in Canada that turned the water a milky colour. It's a bugger to get out of the tub, but a bath with colloidal oatmeal is very moisturising. Showers tend to strip the oils from your skin, so maybe try bathing instead when your skin is really dry?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Since being back have had same probelm as we are in a very hard water area. I saw a Dermatologist who recommended E45 which must be applied after every shower. Boots best for this.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:53 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And this for washing, discovered on my current trip here.

https://www.nivea.co.uk/shop/in-show...993430045.html
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:08 pm
Concierge

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, much appreciated. I'm going to give the E45 a go first but it's good to know about the others too.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
My OH has very dry skin and finds Aveeno products are the best, they do various products which are based on oats ( or extracts of) which target dry skin ....
I use something like that, with oatmeal, and is the only thing I have found that doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy, and stops the itch-itch-itching of dry skin during the winter.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... and and stops the itch-itch-itching of dry skin during the winter.

I always thought that itchy skin was a result of living in Alberta, a fairly arid place. Even tho' I am now back in England, at times a fairly wet place, itchy skin has driven me mad-like needles sticking in my skin-face, ears, eyes, and arms. I have tried everything-sudacreme, hydro cortisone, E45, calamine lotion. Finally I went to the doctor for something to stop the ear irritation. I wish I hadn't. He started off by telling me the many serious internal conditions that manifest themselves with itchy skin, he couldn't just tell me the more likely cause-anno domini- or plain old excezma. I ended up with a one-time prescription for a steroid medication. Worked a treat on my ears.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like this:

Sanex Advanced Hydrate 24H Body Lotion 250ml - Boots

It's light and non-greasy, not heavily scented and it lasts. I hate feeling the slightest bit sticky after applying lotion and this worked just fine for me.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
.... I ended up with a one-time prescription for a steroid medication. Worked a treat on my ears.
Personally, I would want to explore all other options before resorting to a steroid medication.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Personally, I would want to explore all other options before resorting to a steroid medication.

That is why I got a one time only prescription, for treatment lasting only 5 days.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 1:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I use coconut oil on my skin all the time. I have a little dish of it beside my bed and at night before I go to sleep I put a little bit (you only need the smallest amount) on my feet and legs and rub the remains into my hands. It's great stuff, cheap as chips and smells nice.

Aveeno does a bath soak powder stuff that I used to buy for myself in Canada that turned the water a milky colour. It's a bugger to get out of the tub, but a bath with colloidal oatmeal is very moisturising. Showers tend to strip the oils from your skin, so maybe try bathing instead when your skin is really dry?
Thanks Dorothy. Strangely I only struggle with really dry skin and eczema on my hands. Legs and arms are a little dry and can be easily controlled by coconut oil, but no eczema. I've had it on my hands for years and only ever seems to be controlled with steroid cream and hot/humid places. The only time it ever went away within the last 15 years was when I backpacked in hot and humid countries for 1 year. I returned back to the UK in the middle of winter and it came back with vengeance! I'm a medical mystery apparently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.