RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by zargof
ISTR Maltese is similar to Italian, so if you know Italian you could just about get by. But everyone speaks English as well which is handy. Nice place.
I remember when we were there in the early '80's going on a day tour on a bus. The driver decided to stop halfway up a windy hilly road so we could have our picnic lunch. He jumped off the bus and put bricks behind the back wheels to stop it rolling back down

He also told us he liked to drive in the shade, no-matter what side of the road it was....(package holidays, yer can't beat them!)
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

ISTR Maltese is similar to Italian, so if you know Italian you could just about get by. But everyone speaks English as well which is handy. Nice place.
The proximity to Sicily and the fact that there were many Italians/Sicilians who came there certainly was a big factor, as well as it becoming part of Great Britain.

However, there's this- "Jiġi żmien li fil-Wardija [l-Għolja Sciberras] kull xiber raba’ jiswa uqija," which is "There will come a time when every piece of land on Sciberras Hill will be worth its weight in gold" in English.

I LOVED the history there!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:23 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I remember when we were there in the early '80's going on a day tour on a bus. The driver decided to stop halfway up a windy hilly road so we could have our picnic lunch. He jumped off the bus and put bricks behind the back wheels to stop it rolling back down

He also told us he liked to drive in the shade, no-matter what side of the road it was....(package holidays, yer can't beat them!)
My Mum spent a few years there when she was a kid, and some ofthe buses they have now are the exact same buses that they had back then, pretty impressive that they're still running.

I remember the joke about driving in the shade as well, but then when you get on the roads I'm not sure how much of a joke it was.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The proximity to Sicily and the fact that there were many Italians/Sicilians who came there certainly was a big factor, as well as it becoming part of Great Britain.

However, there's this- "Jiġi żmien li fil-Wardija [l-Għolja Sciberras] kull xiber raba’ jiswa uqija," which is "There will come a time when every piece of land on Sciberras Hill will be worth its weight in gold" in English.

I LOVED the history there!!
Mdina is pretty impressive I agree.

Also, I loved snorkling off Comino. The water is probably the clearest I've ever seen.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't see what that has to do with tourism. Someone living in Manchester won't accept a job in London unless there is a large salary increase. The same is true in the states where people won't accept a job in NYC or the Silicon Valley unless they get a big increase in salary.

The same is true between countries in that there has to be a way to compare prices.
There is, and it isn't using the ex-change rate and your home country currency.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I loved snorkling off Comino. The water is probably the clearest I've ever seen.
Hubby did a tour there, just after we got engaged, that was the one that paid for our wedding
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit late with this one, ive only just noticed this thread
my view, is that yes the majority of the folks in the UK (or at least it seems that way) are rude, unhelpful and Little Britain couldn't sum it up any better than....'the computer says no'
I think it really is a lot deeper than Brits being unhelpful in the work place and Americans being helpful and friendly in the work place.
The reason for this is because, If I was to work for somebody (which I dont) but I know if I was rude and unhelpful, there's not a lot really that can be done about it! and the average UK worker knows this.
They cannot just get fired, like they can in the US, if they dont do their jobs properly, they have to have, verbal then written warnings etc. Then theres a tribunal if the worker feels they was sacked unfairly.....the list goes on....
Where as if the UK worker was 'kept on their toes' like an american worker, i think that things may be a little different??

Last edited by goldenstate31; Aug 25th 2010 at 7:47 am.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I'm a bit late with this one, ive only just noticed this thread
my view, is that yes the majority of the folks in the UK (or at least it seems that way) are rude, unhelpful and Little Britain couldn't sum it up any better than....'the computer says no'
I think it really is a lot deeper than Brits being unhelpful in the work place and Americans being helpful and friendly in the work place.
The reason for this is because, If I was to work for somebody (which I dont) but I know if I was rude and unhelpful, there's not a lot really that can be done about it! and the average UK worker knows this.
They cannot just get fired, like they can in the US, if they dont do their jobs properly, they have to have, verbal then written warnings etc. Then theres a tribunal if the worker feels they was sacked unfairly.....the list goes on....
Where as if the UK worker was 'kept on their toes' like an american worker, i think that things may be a little different??
Oh dear oh dear you're going to love it here.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niksha
Just got back from england and what a trip after 22 years a lot has indeed changed.!!The manners are totally gone down the loo.
Well, after thirteen years of a Labour Government which deliberately lowered social standards in the UK what else would you expect? Manners in the sense you mean is now considered "old fashioned" -only the other day an official report on the current British social scene stated that the simple words "thank you" have now become obsolete in many cases - they have also been declared "old fashioned" and have been replaced by "cheers" "ta" "there you go!" "wicked!" - or just a complete silence, nothing at all. Any American visiting 21st century Britain had better wise up beforehand if s/he expects to find the kind of customer service they are used to back in the UK. Very often the attitude among many (mostly younger) people who are at the "service" of the general public in the UK is that they are doing you a favour as a customer availing themselves of this so called "service" and not the other way round. This is now a very "stressed out" country, over populated, and all the ridiculous policies of the previous Labour Government foisted on this country, everything from the extension of licensing hours and therefore the facilitation of binge drinking, unrestrained immigration, and stupid and unwarranted targets in much of the public sector, have all contributed to the decline of "manners" and basic standards of everyday behaviour. This is now basically a very selfish and self obsessed society, and one obsessed with the culture of "celebrity".

It will take a long time to repair.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Well, after thirteen years of a Labour Government which deliberately lowered social standards in the UK what else would you expect? Manners in the sense you mean is now considered "old fashioned" -only the other day an official report on the current British social scene stated that the simple words "thank you" have now become obsolete in many cases - they have also been declared "old fashioned" and have been replaced by "cheers" "ta" "there you go!" "wicked!" - or just a complete silence, nothing at all. Any American visiting 21st century Britain had better wise up beforehand if s/he expects to find the kind of customer service they are used to back in the UK. Very often the attitude among many (mostly younger) people who are at the "service" of the general public in the UK is that they are doing you a favour as a customer availing themselves of this so called "service" and not the other way round. This is now a very "stressed out" country, over populated, and all the ridiculous policies of the previous Labour Government foisted on this country, everything from the extension of licensing hours and therefore the facilitation of binge drinking, unrestrained immigration, and stupid and unwarranted targets in much of the public sector, have all contributed to the decline of "manners" and basic standards of everyday behaviour. This is now basically a very selfish and self obsessed society, and one obsessed with the culture of "celebrity".

Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

You could have written the same post in 1997 with the word "Conservative" substituted for the word "Labour." (Apart from your specific reference to the extension of licensing hours.)

More specifically, I remember the words "cheers" and "ta" were accepted informal synonyms for "thank you" in 1960, 1970, 1980 etc. Nothing particularly modern about them.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes when I read posts...especially from Brits that have never lived outside the UK...it makes me wonder if I really do fly into Manchester Airport. Perhaps there's some parallel universe that my plane lands in.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sometimes when I read posts...especially from Brits that have never lived outside the UK...it makes me wonder if I really do fly into Manchester Airport. Perhaps there's some parallel universe that my plane lands in.
It's the twilight zone!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I think there is someone somewhere that is making a very good living out of selling Rose-Tinted Glasses.......
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I think there is someone somewhere that is making a very good living out of selling Rose-Tinted Glasses.......
Yes, but are they selling them here or there?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:16 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

So, in summary Britain has gone to the dogs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.