British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/recent-trip-england-682311/)

Volt61 Dec 4th 2010 2:46 pm

Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9021585)
The Lord of the Rings is fiction...welcome to the real world..

Well I did say "is like", but perhaps you don't want to read what doesn't suit you?
I am aware that the film is fiction, but thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9021585)
Please don't patronise me...the NHS was good enough for my 89 yr old mum...when dad died suddenly last year and upon hearing the news mum fell and broke her hip. 9 months later she fell and broke her femur. The cost of all her medical care...rehab...then later when she went home Social Services visited 4 times per day...not to mention the doctor's home visits. This was all covered by the NHS/SS...you tell me what would have happened to her in the US.

Living in the US is great if you have money...but it you don't then it's God help you.

You're so offended so easily, but you're doing this to yourself.

Health insurance covers the same things as in the UK because the people in the USA have the same problems as those in the UK so the USA have factored in the same treatments to be made available as humans elsewhere.

The only difference is who pays and does it work?
Well, we all pay (and we will have to keep paying) and no, it doesn't always work and I could quote horror stories of shambolic doctors and other staff who's decisions costs people their health and their lives, among a list of shortcomings and poor service.

You're wishing to ignore the key points of my posts, because you don't like or agree with them. That's fine but then don't pretend your view is the only true one or that its better, etc.

Jerseygirl Dec 4th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Volt61 (Post 9021613)
Well I did say "is like", but perhaps you don't want to read what doesn't suit you?

Health insurance covers the same things as in the UK because the people in the USA have the same problems as those in the UK so the USA have factored in the same treatments to be made available as humans elsewhere.

Well, we all pay (and we will have to keep paying) and no, it doesn't always work and I could quote horror stories of shambolic doctors and other staff who's decisions costs people their health and their lives, among a list of shortcomings and poor service.

You're wishing to ignore the key points of my posts, because you don't like or agree with them. That's fine but then don't pretend your view is the only true one or that its better, etc.

Are you kidding me? Do you live in the US...if so for how long?

Mummy in the foothills Dec 4th 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9021627)

I need that little popcorn eating icon :lol:

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 4th 2010 4:13 pm

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9021627)

For someone who has Rush Limbaugh as his hero in his signature I'm hoping he has good health insurance....he needs to see a doctor pretty quick;):lol:

cindyabs Dec 4th 2010 11:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9021674)
I need that little popcorn eating icon :lol:

Like this?

cindyabs Dec 4th 2010 11:45 pm

Ah, BUT what about if you need treatment in the US and you can't afford your costs out of pocket AND you don't qualify for Medicaid etc?

Been there, done that. :thumbdown:

robin1234 Dec 5th 2010 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Volt61 (Post 9021539)
...and we are all going to pay for this so-called "cheapness" when the xx hits the fan.

The European model of benefits, pensions and healthcare is more busted than the US and the heavy government involvement in these industries, conceals massive wastage and inefficiencies as well as the time bomb.

Yes, I pay more here with health insurance and co-pays, etc, but I am happier and I get to see a doctor of my choice, whenever I want, and who don't have crumbling infrastructure, grumpy surly demoralized staff and the general out of date/bad attitudes towards patients

I've lived in the UK about half my adult life and half in the USA. My personal experience of healthcare in the UK is that it is very good, and of healthcare in the USA is that it is cr*p. (I live in a remote rural area, and would have more adequate healthcare if I was prepared to drive to Burlington, Vermont, a three hour drive, every time I had a healthcare need.) And I'm one of those fortunate Americans who has a gold-plated employer provided health plan that covers me for all services anywhere, subject to reasonable annual premiums and copays.

Both my parents grew old & died in the UK over the last 20 or so years. They both received excellent care, including frequent home visits (four or five times a day in my dad's last two months) from doctors and nurses. My father died at home after a long illness; in America he'd almost certainly not have been able to die at home. I've never asked my doctor in the US to schedule a home visit...

Yes, the UK government is now addressing budget problems and over the next several years the NHS will be stressed. At least the British system allows real world problems to be addressed rationally. I wouldn't expect too much from our American dysfunctional government. Leave it to the markets?? Yeah, right, that'll work.

As for massive inefficiency, dysfunction and wastage, look at the US system...

Manc Dec 5th 2010 12:39 am

Stockport is fucking ace.

chartreuse Dec 5th 2010 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9022334)

Longest brick built viaduct in Europe, iirc. Or is it the world?

Volt61 Dec 5th 2010 1:27 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9022227)
Ah, BUT what about if you need treatment in the US and you can't afford your costs out of pocket AND you don't qualify for Medicaid etc?

I was in that situation when I first came and i have a chronic health condition.
I found a part private-part state government funded charity that gave me the care and medicine I needed and that i couldn't do without.

In my research, I discovered that there were lots of scheme, programmes, etc., for people who don't have health insurance or a job that doesn't provide HI.

The issue, as I see it for the current system, is the challenge to get those who are left out of the system, to get them into work and into work that provides HI and to have a better basic coverage system for those who still can't be helped.

I do agree that the US system isn't perfect or without hassles for those who use it and clearly there is corruption and pharmaceutical price fixing as well as treatment/surgery/hospital services price fixing too, as there is in the UK/Europe.
This is global problem that no-one seems to want to fix.

The difference is that in the UK, people are unaware of these costs and of the way the government is managing the system, which is infinitely more expensive.
In the US, you are not paying for everyone's else's treatment.

cindyabs Dec 5th 2010 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Volt61 (Post 9022381)
I was in that situation when I first came and i have a chronic health condition.
I found a part private-part state government funded charity that gave me the care and medicine I needed and that i couldn't do without.

In my research, I discovered that there were lots of scheme, programmes, etc., for people who don't have health insurance or a job that doesn't provide HI.

The issue, as I see it for the current system, is the challenge to get those who are left out of the system, to get them into work and into work that provides HI and to have a better basic coverage system for those who still can't be helped.

I do agree that the US system isn't perfect or without hassles for those who use it and clearly there is corruption and pharmaceutical price fixing as well as treatment/surgery/hospital services price fixing too, as there is in the UK/Europe.
This is global problem that no-one seems to want to fix.

The difference is that in the UK, people are unaware of these costs and of the way the government is managing the system, which is infinitely more expensive.
In the US, you are not paying for everyone's else's treatment.

Who pays for Medicaid? It comes from government funding in the form of taxes, yes? Who pays taxes?

This reminds me of the ditty we used to chant as kids- That's Life. What's Life? A magazine. How much does it cost? 50 cents. I don't have 50 cents. That's Life..........

and so it goes.

Volt61 Dec 5th 2010 1:47 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9022389)
Who pays for Medicaid?

well, I did say a better system for those who can't be helped, but you must have not read that bit.

robin1234 Dec 5th 2010 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Volt61 (Post 9022381)

Why should health care be tied to employment? In the real world (e.g. UK), being covered by health care is a function of being a living breathing human being.

Dogbyte Dec 5th 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 9022334)

Seconded !:thumbup:

Chugabug Dec 5th 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Volt61 (Post 9021600)
Have you tried mobissimo? Best prices for overseas flights I found.
And Amazon sells PG Tips.

Thanks Volt, great site. :thumbup: