British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/recent-trip-england-682311/)

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2010 5:53 pm

Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8806535)
You're from Flatcapshire^W Yorkshire. Your opinion on Stockport doesn't count...

I am not from W Yorks :frown: and I used to live in the Stockport area. :p

robin1234 Aug 27th 2010 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8808007)
I am not from W Yorks :frown: and I used to live in the Stockport area. :p

I've never been to Stockport, but look forward to visiting sometime. My father's family moved there from Middlesbrough in about 1914. I've never been to Middlesbrough, either; would a move from Middlesbrough to Stockport be considered going up in the world, or down?

Apparently, the biggest tourist attraction in Stockport are the Air Raid Shelters. According to the promotional materials,

"Did you know . . . that the shelters also had 16-seater toilets!
Did you know . . . everyone had to possess a gas mask and carry it with them wherever they went."

I just mention the toilets to tie in with another interesting discussion currently in progress.

cindyabs Aug 27th 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8808047)
I've never been to Stockport, but look forward to visiting sometime. My father's family moved there from Middlesbrough in about 1914. I've never been to Middlesbrough, either; would a move from Middlesbrough to Stockport be considered going up in the world, or down?

Apparently, the biggest tourist attraction in Stockport are the Air Raid Shelters. According to the promotional materials,

Did you know . . . everyone had to possess a gas mask and carry it with them wherever they went."

I just mention the toilets to tie in with another interesting discussion currently in progress.

Well crudely speaking a 16 seater toilet would certainly involve the use of gas masks.........

nettlebed Aug 27th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8808118)
Well crudely speaking a 16 seater toilet would certainly involve the use of gas masks.........

I'd give it ten minutes, if I were you...

robin1234 Aug 27th 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8808205)
I'd give it ten minutes, if I were you...

If it's a 16-seater, that ten minutes ain't never gonna come. Also, some of the stuff they ate in the war, you might want to give it 20 minutes.

Englishtart Aug 27th 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8808047)

Definitely up;)

robin1234 Aug 28th 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8808118)

I blame myself for this. I introduced "toilets" to the discussion. Not content with this, "gas-masks" were mentioned on the next line. What is it with BE & toilets? Hmm?
In future I'll confine myself to the following concepts;
Bacon
Battle of Bunker Hill
American Driving Tests
WWII
Beer
Cheese
Weather

PaulK Aug 29th 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8796884)
Car insurance, homeowners insurance, property taxes ... all significantly cheaper in the UK compared to the US (for most consumers, depending on circumstances.)

Respectfully disagree, especially on the car insurance thing. I am still mystified at how low the auto rates are here.

Englishtart Aug 29th 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by PaulK (Post 8811134)
Respectfully disagree, especially on the car insurance thing. I am still mystified at how low the auto rates are here.

:blink::confused:

AmerLisa Aug 29th 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8811278)
:blink::confused:

I'm thinking there's something he knows that we don't. And I'd love to know. :D

Maybe if you went to ABC insurance and got the bare minimum, with exchange rate you just might see it.....:confused:

Englishtart Aug 29th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8811290)
I'm thinking there's something he knows that we don't. And I'd love to know. :D

Maybe if you went to ABC insurance and got the bare minimum, with exchange rate you just might see it.....:confused:

Well, we are both USC's, been here for a while, no claims (apart from hail damage) and for two cars we still pay $80 a month, that's pretty cheap, but when you take that over the year and add in that it cost us over $400 to get them registered (for a year) and I am thinking it is cheaper in the UK?:confused:

Jerseygirl Aug 29th 2010 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8811882)
Well, we are both USC's, been here for a while, no claims (apart from hail damage) and for two cars we still pay $80 a month, that's pretty cheap, but when you take that over the year and add in that it cost us over $400 to get them registered (for a year) and I am thinking it is cheaper in the UK?:confused:

When we came to live here we paid the same amount per month for car insurance as we did in the UK per year.

Hiro11 Sep 1st 2010 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8802734)
Are the general public really noticing any increase to their taxes in their day to day lives? No, they aren't.

And even if taxes are raised, what is the problem with that?

Are you insane?

zargof Sep 1st 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 8819114)
Are you insane?

Now there are some posts that Bob makes that make you question his sanity, I don't think this is one of them.

I agree with him here that raising taxes would be beneficial (well taxes for rich people anyway, not taxes on people like me obviously).

benblaney Sep 2nd 2010 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8796616)
What I meant by 'OTT customer service' here, is that when I first arrived in the US, it was annoying that I couldn't just walk into a store and look around, without some commission paid salesperson stalking me! I guess you get used too it, but I still don't like it.

I'm with you. I just want to be left alone. If and when I want help, I'll ask for it.

And another thing, when paying at the register at Walmart, I don't need to be asked if I found everything okay (which is obviously just the latest bullet point in the Shopkeeping for Dummies handbook). The answer is: (a) if I hadn't found everything okay I wouldn't be at the checkout because I'd still be looking for it, and (b) I don't believe for a moment that Walmart has a robust and effective process for a checkout person to resolve a complex product-location issue, so let's just spare me the bother of saying "yes, I found everything okay", okay?