RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You're from Flatcapshire^W Yorkshire. Your opinion on Stockport doesn't count...
I am not from W Yorks and I used to live in the Stockport area.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am not from W Yorks and I used to live in the Stockport area.
I've never been to Stockport, but look forward to visiting sometime. My father's family moved there from Middlesbrough in about 1914. I've never been to Middlesbrough, either; would a move from Middlesbrough to Stockport be considered going up in the world, or down?

Apparently, the biggest tourist attraction in Stockport are the Air Raid Shelters. According to the promotional materials,

"Did you know . . . that the shelters also had 16-seater toilets!
Did you know . . . everyone had to possess a gas mask and carry it with them wherever they went."

I just mention the toilets to tie in with another interesting discussion currently in progress.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've never been to Stockport, but look forward to visiting sometime. My father's family moved there from Middlesbrough in about 1914. I've never been to Middlesbrough, either; would a move from Middlesbrough to Stockport be considered going up in the world, or down?

Apparently, the biggest tourist attraction in Stockport are the Air Raid Shelters. According to the promotional materials,

Did you know . . . everyone had to possess a gas mask and carry it with them wherever they went."

I just mention the toilets to tie in with another interesting discussion currently in progress.
Well crudely speaking a 16 seater toilet would certainly involve the use of gas masks.........
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:31 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well crudely speaking a 16 seater toilet would certainly involve the use of gas masks.........
I'd give it ten minutes, if I were you...
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I'd give it ten minutes, if I were you...
If it's a 16-seater, that ten minutes ain't never gonna come. Also, some of the stuff they ate in the war, you might want to give it 20 minutes.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely up
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I blame myself for this. I introduced "toilets" to the discussion. Not content with this, "gas-masks" were mentioned on the next line. What is it with BE & toilets? Hmm?
In future I'll confine myself to the following concepts;
Bacon
Battle of Bunker Hill
American Driving Tests
WWII
Beer
Cheese
Weather
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future

Car insurance, homeowners insurance, property taxes ... all significantly cheaper in the UK compared to the US (for most consumers, depending on circumstances.)
Respectfully disagree, especially on the car insurance thing. I am still mystified at how low the auto rates are here.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulK
Respectfully disagree, especially on the car insurance thing. I am still mystified at how low the auto rates are here.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I'm thinking there's something he knows that we don't. And I'd love to know.

Maybe if you went to ABC insurance and got the bare minimum, with exchange rate you just might see it.....
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm thinking there's something he knows that we don't. And I'd love to know.

Maybe if you went to ABC insurance and got the bare minimum, with exchange rate you just might see it.....
Well, we are both USC's, been here for a while, no claims (apart from hail damage) and for two cars we still pay $80 a month, that's pretty cheap, but when you take that over the year and add in that it cost us over $400 to get them registered (for a year) and I am thinking it is cheaper in the UK?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we are both USC's, been here for a while, no claims (apart from hail damage) and for two cars we still pay $80 a month, that's pretty cheap, but when you take that over the year and add in that it cost us over $400 to get them registered (for a year) and I am thinking it is cheaper in the UK?
When we came to live here we paid the same amount per month for car insurance as we did in the UK per year.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:07 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Are the general public really noticing any increase to their taxes in their day to day lives? No, they aren't.

And even if taxes are raised, what is the problem with that?
Are you insane?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Are you insane?
Now there are some posts that Bob makes that make you question his sanity, I don't think this is one of them.

I agree with him here that raising taxes would be beneficial (well taxes for rich people anyway, not taxes on people like me obviously).
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

What I meant by 'OTT customer service' here, is that when I first arrived in the US, it was annoying that I couldn't just walk into a store and look around, without some commission paid salesperson stalking me! I guess you get used too it, but I still don't like it.
I'm with you. I just want to be left alone. If and when I want help, I'll ask for it.

And another thing, when paying at the register at Walmart, I don't need to be asked if I found everything okay (which is obviously just the latest bullet point in the Shopkeeping for Dummies handbook). The answer is: (a) if I hadn't found everything okay I wouldn't be at the checkout because I'd still be looking for it, and (b) I don't believe for a moment that Walmart has a robust and effective process for a checkout person to resolve a complex product-location issue, so let's just spare me the bother of saying "yes, I found everything okay", okay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.