British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Reasons for moving back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/reasons-moving-back-uk-929392/)

Peter.st.giles Nov 20th 2019 2:26 am

Reasons for moving back to the UK?

For all the British expats moving back to the UK from the likes of America or Australia, what are some of the reasons you decide to move back to the UK after spending times overseas? If you have already settled in another country, what prompted you to move back? Just curious..

BEVS Nov 20th 2019 2:51 am

Re: Reasons for moving back to the UK?

Not on topic at all so apologies for that.

Could you perhaps pop along to the Australia forum to the thread you started there, if you have a mo, and answer Dorothy's question to you please?
Only she and others have given of their free time and it's good if the OP ( opening poster = your good self ) does come back to continue the conversation rather than just starting a new one on something else, somewhere else. It could seem that it was a bit time wasting , a passing notion, if you see what I mean although I am sure it isn't that way at all.
They are a good bunch in there so will be able to further help and guide you once they know the visa status and which state/territory.

Thanks
BEVS

On topic:

I take it you have never emigrated and always lived in the USA then. It will be the same list of reasons that all immigrants around the world can have for any country they have left for a new one.
Family.
Age.
Lifestyle.
Health.
Familiarity
Unsettled.
Sense of belonging
Culture

It may be more beneficial if you ask the Oz lot why they stay where they are as it is Oz you are interested in emigrating to.

durham_lad Nov 20th 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12766340)

On topic:

I take it you have never emigrated and always lived in the USA then. It will be the same list of reasons that all immigrants around the world can have for any country they have left for a new one.
Family.
Age.
Lifestyle.
Health.
Familiarity
Unsettled.
Sense of belonging
Culture

It may be more beneficial if you ask the Oz lot why they stay where they are as it is Oz you are interested in emigrating to.

Nailed it!

Those are the reasons we moved back to the UK after 29 years in the USA

namsbabe Nov 21st 2019 11:48 am

The country I was in was/is turning to shit. And our country has more opportunities in my industry.

between two worlds Dec 5th 2019 4:04 pm

As a British expat who moved back from the USA after years of living there, but always longing to return (I've written about my reasons at length in other threads), it was also pretty much Bev's list.

A lot of it was, and I realised this, an emotional pull. Not a neat weighing-up of pros and cons about which was "better." But wanting to be back where I felt I belonged, surrounded by the culture and history of Britain—castles, churches, cathedrals, villages, Cotswold stone, Kentish flint, the greenness, the way the landscape looks, sheep, cheese......plus continental Europe on the doorstep.

And this longing just got worse as I grew older. (Whereas you might think it would fade away as one got "settled," to use your word.)

Jerseygirl Dec 9th 2019 3:43 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 12774482)
As a British expat who moved back from the USA after years of living there, but always longing to return (I've written about my reasons at length in other threads), it was also pretty much Bev's list.

A lot of it was, and I realised this, an emotional pull. Not a neat weighing-up of pros and cons about which was "better." But wanting to be back where I felt I belonged, surrounded by the culture and history of Britain—castles, churches, cathedrals, villages, Cotswold stone, Kentish flint, the greenness, the way the landscape looks, sheep, cheese......plus continental Europe on the doorstep.

And this longing just got worse as I grew older. (Whereas you might think it would fade away as one got "settled," to use your word.)

Originally Posted by probglass (Post 12776150)
A friend of mine moved back to the UK mostly because he missed all the familiar things. I guess for some people that's enough of a reason.

I think for most Expats who are homesick/wish to return home, they miss the familiarity. That may be family, friends, the countryside, the humour, the history or just the day to day way of life.

I always say ‘I miss/missed my life’. :(

A couple of months ago someone posted this pic in the NZ forums. Pretty much sums it up I think.

between two worlds Dec 9th 2019 4:12 pm

Yes Jerseygirl, exactly. Love that sculpture by Catalano! The void inside.

Even if you haven't lived there for decades, so it's no longer "familiar" exactly, you still want to be where you don't have to explain everything all the time.

BEVS Dec 9th 2019 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 12776164)

Even if you haven't lived there for decades, so it's no longer "familiar" exactly, you still want to be where you don't have to explain everything all the time.

Yes.

Lion in Winter Dec 10th 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 12776164)

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12776353)
Yes.

Yes.