British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Passport Colour (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/passport-colour-907103/)

scot47 Dec 22nd 2017 2:47 pm

Passport Colour

It is now clear that we can trust those who are set above us to rule and bring order.

Look what Brexit will bring !

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-traditi...050500394.html

kimilseung Dec 22nd 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Passport Colour

Does anyone really care what colour passport they have?
Blue passports could have been re-introduced without Brexit, Government admits | The Independent

robin1234 Dec 23rd 2017 9:25 am

Bloody League of Nations.

Blue passports could have been re-introduced without Brexit, Government admits | The Independent

"Britain’s previous blue colour was itself a foreign imposition, originating in guidance issued by the League of Nations in 1920 – which also stipulated French must be included – "

mikelincs Dec 23rd 2017 10:18 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12404414)
Bloody League of Nations.

"Britain’s previous blue colour was itself a foreign imposition, originating in guidance issued by the League of Nations in 1920 – which also stipulated French must be included – "

Leave them as they are, and give the £400 million to the NHS.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 23rd 2017 10:43 am

Sod the colour change, I'm just wondering where my next one will come from.

I used to be able to renew it in Geneva, but cost cutting ended that and I was told to go to Paris - that well known Genevois suburb - despite the fact that there remains a facility in Bern, but this is not available to people living in French speaking cantons. Why on earth not ????

Next stop Cleethorpes? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 23rd 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12404430)
Leave them as they are, and give the £400 million to the NHS.

Wot! On top of the £350M / week?

mikelincs Dec 23rd 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12404438)
Wot! On top of the £350M / week?

Yes, even that amount will only just about put the funding back to where it should be.

BritInParis Dec 23rd 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12404436)
Sod the colour change, I'm just wondering where my next one will come from.

I used to be able to renew it in Geneva, but cost cutting ended that and I was told to go to Paris - that well known Genevois suburb - despite the fact that there remains a facility in Bern, but this is not available to people living in French speaking cantons. Why on earth not ????

Next stop Cleethorpes? :unsure:

Paris closed its doors years ago. You'll have to apply by post to the UK next time around.

scot47 Dec 23rd 2017 10:47 pm

I am the proud possesor of an expired (Burgundy) passport that has

Place of Issue - British Embassy, Sofia.

From the bad old days when Embassies had their own passport officers and issuing facilities Now that WOULD be progress if we could go back to that. I do not give a monkeys what colour they are or what the protofascists in UKIP say !

BritInParis Dec 23rd 2017 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12404614)
I am the proud possesor of an expired (Burgundy) passport that has

Place of Issue - British Embassy, Sofia.

From the bad old days when Embassies had their own passport officers and issuing facilities Now that WOULD be progress if we could go back to that. I do not give a monkeys what colour they are or what the protofascists in UKIP say !

Money talks and the FCO was facing a real term budget cut of 50% at the time. All that central real estate cost a bomb. Plus things like this kept happening.

scot47 Dec 24th 2017 5:28 am

They need the money for those nice shiny new aircraft carriers. You know - the ones without aircraft to put on top

mikelincs Dec 24th 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12404689)
They need the money for those nice shiny new aircraft carriers. You know - the ones without aircraft to put on top

It won't bring any more money in, people aren't going to renew their passports they will just wait till their old one runs out, well apart from Nige.

BritInParis Dec 24th 2017 10:04 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12404689)

You pay for your passport when you apply for one. It's nothing to do with the taxpayer. It's a complete non-story, Christmas lull silly season. The contract would be up for renewal in October 2019 regardless of the referendum result. The passport format is far more tightly controlled by the ICAO than the EU.

scot47 Dec 25th 2017 9:44 am

I was referring to the FCO budget cut of 50 percent that led to passports being produced centrally instead of in the local Embassy.

None of the Empire Loyalists took up my whinge about aircraft carriers without aircraft. Does no one else see that as a lunacy ?

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 25th 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12405069)
I was referring to the FCO budget cut of 50 percent that led to passports being produced centrally instead of in the local Embassy.

None of the Empire Loyalists took up my whinge about aircraft carriers without aircraft. Does no one else see that as a lunacy ?

Yes!