British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

cheers Jan 15th 2011 11:43 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9103805)

2. Re motorcycles, they petrify me! I can't get used to the fact that it's legal for them to ride between rows of traffic. Blows my mind every time I see it!

They can do that according to law in California also

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104319)
They can do that according to law in California also

It is very common in Australia too, though don't know if it is legal.

Now don't get me started on people on push bikes taking up a lane of their own!!! :sneaky:

cheers Jan 16th 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9104036)
I live a simple life: free/clearance/sale/discount! Retail makes my Jewish and Scottish genes go into alarm mode! (sorry ED).

Cheers: UK Pension in a few weeks - received a phone call from them to tell me that. US pension - may not take until 4 years hence - it does not amount to a hill of beans at 62. So part time work at least. Had to take a 1.5 hour test for the Census Bureau (or whatever they are called here - I am not sure about the name) which was on line. Now I wait for 3 weeks to see if I am accepted to work in the Frome area in May and June. Nice money, even includes a paid vacation time! That just blows my mind - I am so accustomed to work + no benefits! Though that is naughty of me to write that - when I worked at the university in MN as a Graduate Instructor, .

I consider myself thrifty because I have had to be. One paycheck and all. But Rosie you brought up ancestry. I have Welsh, English and Prussian ancestry and I think I get my thriftyness from the Welsh side. Other groups that are known for their thriftness are the people from Yorkshire and those from Scotland.

Rosie could you teach at college/university level as you did in MN?

About that census. I can see that now, 'I ad an American cum to me door and asked all these questions for the government' 'bloody el'

cheers Jan 16th 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104330)
It is very common in Australia too, though don't know if it is legal.

Now don't get me started on people on push bikes taking up a lane of their own!!! :sneaky:

OK I wont!:lol:

A fellow worker killed a person on a bike in Las Vegas. We found according to the law that the cyclist has the whole lane for travel so he, the cyclist, was in the right even though he swerved into the path of the vehicle without looking.

cheers Jan 16th 2011 12:34 am

OK you wont believe me so here is the posting dated January 5th.:)

The BBC are looking for some Americans to attend a showing of "The Kings Speech" in Chelsea on Friday afternoon, and be willing to share your comments.

PM me if you are available and interested, and I will give you the contact email address!

It was an amazing experience! It wasn't just a little blurb, we were a feature! They filmed us "pretend" watching the movie ahead of time (they couldn't film during the movie), filmed us leaving our seats, and filmed for quite some time interviewing us in the lobby. It is to go out Wednesday the 12th from what they anticipated. It should be about a 6 minute piece on BBC America. There were only 5 of us and we all spoke to answer a few questions.
Thanks so much! It was a great afternoon and a wonderful free movie as well.

Now there do you believe me???

dontheturner Jan 16th 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9103233)
Just in case anybody has forgotten about the T Mobile ad, here it is, Rosie please book the arrival group in advance for Jackie, Don, Poppycat and me in that order I believe.........:thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo

Thanks for thinking of me, Barb, I would be over the moon with that - and would have to kneel, Kiss the concourse, and sing, Land of hope & Glory, for you! (Karaoka Style) love don

cheers Jan 16th 2011 1:07 am

British actress Susanna York dead at 72

cheers Jan 16th 2011 1:14 am

From the past. Prefabs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9361586.stm

Mummy in the foothills Jan 16th 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104029)
I think what I was trying to say is you spend money on things we don't because we have a tight budget (but live quite well I might ad)

It reminds me of someone who said "Why is there vanilla ice cream and why is there chocolate ice scream"? Answer..some like vanilla some like chocolate.

Same with purchasing, some like somethings and other like other things.

OK I'm burying myself.

You went out for a meal. We haven't been out for a long long time, 6 months maybe?. We do have a gift certificate for Olive Garden we haven't used though. We have sent out to Carl Juniors for hamburgers only because we have a 2 for one coupon.

I think I explained about the theater popcorn/drinks and we haven't bought that for ten years because it is too expensive for us.

Maybe I can explain myself this way. You think your income leaves something to be desired but I think you are living fairly well.

I think you must live very much like Dh and I do, we just don't spend unless we have too, today I had a coupon for the shoe shop so off we went Ds needs new shoes for work (finally go himself a taco Bell part time after school job) and Dd has started dance class at the local place nice and cheap so needed tap shoes. I splurged and got us Burgers and fries for an early dinner on the way back, and for entertainment took Dd in Petco to see the cats up for adoption, if we brought one home our cat would leave in a huff :lol:

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9103843)
We've had a good day!

Actually slept-in (until 10am!) for the first time since we've been back (5 months now). Tony's mum is on holiday in America so we have the house to ourselves. :thumbup:

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max
£0.58 for a small Tesco brand Steak Pie in flaky pastry
£0.74 for a 6-pack of Hovis crumpets
£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugar
£3.00 for mouthwash
£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread
£2.50 for toothpaste
£9.18 for Centrum 50+ vitamins (60 tabs)
£3.70 for BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

We came back home and put the groceries away, then went out for lunch at the new Harvester (chain) pub that opened up recently on the High Street (which, like most others, is "pedestrianised" or should that be spelled with a "z" ??). Not a terrific experience - think they are still working out the kinks with regard to service, but it was okay. Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.

Then..........we went to the cinema and saw "The King's Speech". OMG. It was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as the final credits started to roll, the audience broke out into applause. It's a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOSlzo

Curious about cinema prices?

£8.60 regular seating cinema ticket
£10.30 VIP seating cinema ticket (larger chair, more legroom, reserved seating)
£11 for 2 regular soft drinks and a large popcorn
£5 for 1 regular soft drink and a regular popcorn

Cinema is crazy expensive, but then again it's something we never do here due to cost.
You should find yourself a home bargains store, so much cheaper for things like toothpaste, Mum bought Colgate, some PG Tips and tate &Lyle sugar in the one by her last time I went in with her.
Ds who over there shop in the one near them too, shaving stuff, deodorant etc.
My jaw dropped at the vitamins price. Have you shopped about, Super Drugs used to have good vitamins for low prices.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 16th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9104078)
I sourced cheaper toiletries in Boots - but was still shocked at the prices for those. And, just a note: you cannot buy large bottles of painkillers here, like Tylenol and Aspirin. They are only available in small blister packs - though you can find generic versions for a small price. Only 16 in a pack. And - I think it is Paracetamol which is only available in restricted quantities, such as 2 - 4 packs of 16 tablets at any one time. Apparently there is a problem with overdosing on them? So I was told, when I questioned the fact. And to think - I gave away my large bottles of Tylenol and Aspirin when I left the USA:(

Boots is way overpriced for that stuff, try SuperDrugs
http://www.superdrug.com/

fulwood Jan 16th 2011 1:44 am

Sad about Susanna York.. she had husky voice if I remember.. Loved her in one of my all time favorite movies "A Man For All Seasons"..

Mummy in the foothills Jan 16th 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104372)
I consider myself thrifty because I have had to be. One paycheck and all. But Rosie you brought up ancestry. I have Welsh, English and Prussian ancestry and I think I get my thriftyness from the Welsh side. Other groups that are known for their thriftness are the people from Yorkshire and those from Scotland.

Rosie could you teach at college/university level as you did in MN?

About that census. I can see that now, 'I ad an American cum to me door and asked all these questions for the government' 'bloody el'

Well Dh and I both being Welsh that answers all :lol:

aviva Jan 16th 2011 1:53 am

Do they have a Netflix type of thing in UK? I just finished watching all 4 seasons of Doc Martin on the instant download on my mac. Watched all of the MI5 seasons too same way.

Beedubya Jan 16th 2011 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9104474)
You should find yourself a home bargains store, so much cheaper for things like toothpaste, Mum bought Colgate, some PG Tips and tate &Lyle sugar in the one by her last time I went in with her.
Ds who over there shop in the one near them too, shaving stuff, deodorant etc.
My jaw dropped at the vitamins price. Have you shopped about, Super Drugs used to have good vitamins for low prices.

I LOVE Home Bargains :wub: but I couldn't find one in my part of Somerset. I would nearly always buy toiletries at this type of store not at a supermarket unless there was a mega sale on. I couldn't get over the price of shower gel and bath foam in the UK as they are about 3 x the cost here in Australia.

In Runcorn where my family live there are two pound shops in the mall. FANTASTIC stuff you can get in there too, along with a right load of old tat of course. DDL you should have a look for one of these in your area, they seem to have name brands of hair products sometimes too, I am just on the last of my Nicky Clarke serum. When I was visiting family I used to go to these shops to stock up. :thumbsup:

You have a lot more choice in the UK than you do here in Australia and I found out where the bargains are to be had by shopping around.

Beedubya Jan 16th 2011 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9104491)
Well Dh and I both being Welsh that answers all :lol:

And so was my grandfather. :D