British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Celticspirit Jan 15th 2011 11:11 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9104193)
I thought it was a great deal as well. 495 quid a month - not bad and looks really nice. like photos of front bedroom..

I must have missed this post. Belfast is really expensive in a decent area. I read that after London it is the most expensive place to live.

cheers Jan 15th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9104068)
DDL..I have heard great reviews of the film "The Kings Speech" looking forward to seeing it. I was in the supermarket today and went to buy a tin of Birds Custard. I put it back when I saw the price $5.75. Can make my own with a little effort. Very little effort.....

I guess you didn't know there was call for Americans living in London to go and review the movie and evaluate it by being interviewed. I'm sure there was an offer of money also.

Celticspirit Jan 15th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104240)
Yes Celticspirit I have always found American chocolate to taste "waxy" it must be the fat content or something? You can get those Hersheys kisses here in some shops, I have tried them but never cared for them myself. So I would say Australian chocolate is "better" but nowhere near as good as UK chocolate.

I did buy some Lindt chocolate balls the last time I was in Hawaii, they were peanut butter I bought them because they were so "American" (when in Rome) and I so wanted to taste Swiss chocolate with an American twist, I turned over the bag and they were made in New Hampshire!!! So TT and Charleygirl are living right next door to chocolate heaven!!

You are right.....anything Hershey is soooo bad!

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104253)
I guess you didn't know there was call for Americans living in London to go and review the movie and evaluate it by being interviewed. I'm sure there was an offer of money also.

Why? :confused:

cheers Jan 15th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9104132)
Yes, we went out for a meal, probably the 2nd or 3rd pub meal we've had since we moved back (5 months ago). Any other meals out we've had since arriving have been Mum's treat which is always appreciated.

We didn't buy anything at the cinema; I was just sharing the prices with everyone. We had our meal just prior to the movie, so we didn't need anything to eat at the cinema.

Yes ... because we're living rent-free with my mother-in-law! The fact remains that on £24k/year*, we would not be able to rent a flat and live on our own - at least not in this part of the country.

*Which, after deductions, equates to about £15,600/year NET.

I know a persons overhead can go down when they retire so I'm thinking can any of us afford to live in the UK if you need more than $24273 a year to live on.

DDL Jan 15th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104199)
I have emailed about a few places in Chertsey, there is a Housing 21 development there but I will have to scout all this out in person and see if it is do-able regarding public transport as I will have no car.

Don't think there's one in Chertsey, Barb, but there is one nearby (ish) in Ottershaw and that's the waiting list we're on because it's just down the road from Tony's job in Addlestone.

We actually rode over to Ottershaw last week-end but we didn't have the address with us and couldn't find it.

I would hazard a guess that there's most definitely a bus service between Chertsey and Staines but I've never delved into it. Should be easy enough to find bus (and train) info online. There's a train station here in Staines.

If - and it's a big "if" - sheltered housing were to come through for us, we would be able to move out on our own, because the rent is so affordable. It'd be a tight squeeze (at least until I got a job), but it would be doable, whereas moving out on our own is not doable with private sector rent.

And you can forget getting on the list for Council housing. We'd be dead before our name ever came up for a Council flat. Priorities for Council housing are 1. homeless (especially homeless with children); 2. disabled; 3. families with children; 4. everyone else (including seniors)

cheers Jan 15th 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104172)
Yes Denise, you do get used to foods in another country, when I came to Australia I thought the jam and the bacon and the chocolate were just awful but over time my taste buds have "adjusted" probably because I had no choice unless I gave them up. No such luck especially with the chocolate. :sneaky:

Once when I was home I tasted the old soda pops like Tizer, Dandilion & B. and Sasparella and I couldn't take them because my tastes have changed I guess.

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9104273)
Don't think there's one in Chertsey, Barb, but there is one nearby (ish) in Ottershaw and that's the waiting list we're on because it's just down the road from Tony's job in Addlestone.

We actually rode over to Ottershaw last week-end but we didn't have the address with us and couldn't find it.

I would hazard a guess that there's most definitely a bus service between Chertsey and Staines but I've never delved into it. Should be easy enough to find bus (and train) info online. There's a train station here in Staines.

If - and it's a big "if" - sheltered housing were to come through for us, we would be able to move out on our own, because the rent is so affordable. It'd be a tight squeeze (at least until I got a job), but it would be doable, whereas moving out on our own is not doable with private sector rent.

And you can forget getting on the list for Council housing. We'd be dead before our name ever came up for a Council flat. Priorities for Council housing are 1. homeless (especially homeless with children); 2. disabled; 3. families with children; 4. everyone else (including seniors)

HA HA DDL!!! That is the place I was looking at in Ottershaw!!!! We could be neighbours how funny!!!

Chertsey is on the train line to Staines but as I said I have to check all this stuff out in person.

There was a block of flats in Chertsey too but they are only for "key workers" I am still trying to establish what that means??? :confused:

This is what you need to apply for them:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your interest in A2Dominion Key Worker rental properties.

In order for your application to be considered please follow this process:

Complete the attached Intermediate Rent Application Form in full.

Provide a copy of your passport/driving licence
Provide a copy of your current Contract of Employment
Provide copies of the last three months or twelve weeks payslips
Provide a Credit Check Report*
Register with the Housing Department at the Local Authority relevant to the area(s) you are interested in applying for. When registered, you will be given a Housing Reference Number which must be quoted on your Intermediate Rent Application Form.
Please also remember to state on the Form which property or areas you are interested in – this will ensure you are placed on the correct waiting list.
* Credit Check Reports can be obtained from www.experian.co.uk at a cost of £2.00.

If you have any queries regarding this process, or have difficulty in providing any of the information/documentation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

When ALL the above items have been obtained, please send to The Accommodation Office (address below) so that your application can be processed.

Kind Regards,

http://www.a2dominion.co.uk/rte.asp?...View&itemid=13

How very complicated!! :blink:

DDL Jan 15th 2011 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104253)

You're taking the mick, Cheers.

Besides, I don't need the money. According to you, I'm livin' the high life. :rofl:

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104279)
Once when I was home I tasted the old soda pops like Tizer, Dandilion & B. and Sasparella and I couldn't take them because my tastes have changed I guess.

Yes I found that too in the UK some food or drink I just didn't have the same taste for anymore especially the soft drinks as stated above. :sneaky:

DDL Jan 15th 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104265)
I know a persons overhead can go down when they retire so I'm thinking can any of us afford to live in the UK if you need more than $24273 a year to live on.

That's pounds, Cheers, and I suppose a couple could retire in the UK and live on 15k NET if they had little to no rent to pay because you're talking about 1500/month. A halfway decent (and I emphasize only a halfway decent) 1-bed flat in this area is going to run 700-800/month and that's before Council tax so you tell me ... could you and your Mrs. live on what's left? (car, food, etc etc etc)

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:38 pm

KEY WORKERS

Well I just found out what they are, and I don't fit the criteria. :(

Police, teachers, NHS workers........that wasn't on the original site I found but it is on the pdf file on the site I just posted.

Back to the drawing board........

DDL Jan 15th 2011 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9104289)
There was a block of flats in Chertsey too but they are only for "key workers" I am still trying to establish what that means??? :confused:

A key worker is like a fireman, policeman ... possibly teachers? I can't remember exactly, but that's what they mean. Just Google it - the UK government has info about it.

Beedubya Jan 15th 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9104305)
A key worker is like a fireman, policeman ... possibly teachers? I can't remember exactly, but that's what they mean. Just Google it - the UK government has info about it.

Mmmm just did. :cry_smile:

cheers Jan 15th 2011 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9103843)
Actually slept-in (until 10am!) Me too and until 11:45am

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max Man the caffine content should keep you awake for a week:D

£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugarcheap

£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread cheap

Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.about right. I would have no complaints about the price

Then..........we went to the cinema

do they still play the nation anthem in the theaters?

comments added