Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Funny you should ask that because my mother-in-law is in America right now on holiday (to visit Tony's brother who lives in Florida). Before she left she asked if there was anything we wanted her to bring back for us. Do you know, there was only one thing we could think of and that was Aleve (painkiller). (We brought several bottles with us when we moved over, but we've slowly been using it up.)

Tony and I were talking about it today. There really isn't any type of food that we miss. I couldn't even think of a magazine that I wanted her to bring back.

Now, if she could put my 3 grandsons into her luggage, that would be something altogether different.

P.S. They sell mayonnaise here( there's a small bottle of Hellmann's in our fridge), and peanut butter although afaic the peanut butter in America is better but I'm sure it's just a matter of what one is used to.
Are there jalepenios in uk..i love them..and will bring a jar with me if not??
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Good gosh, Dunroving, that's the same or better than I take home in the U.S. I take home 67% of my gross and that is NOT paying into a 401K either - I am not eligible yet.

I decided this week that, now that I am working, I am going to begin prepping my pets, even though I have 3.5 years before I leave here. I just can't see myself waiting 3.5 years. I don't know what will come to pass that would allow me to return earlier, but perhaps if I make moves towards an earlier return, things will work out.
If you wait another 6 months you will be able to get a rabies vaccine that is valid for three years as I did in December. My dogs had their blood titer test on December 20 and are now eligible to travel to the UK for 2.5 years from six months after that date (June 20) without the worry of extra booster vaccines/poison. You just have to give the USDA appointed vet who performed the vaccinations and titers about six weeks notice to send the forms to the state's USDA State official vet to be approved. The rules have changed slightly as now my regular vet was unable to perform all of this and had to send me to USDA approved vet. It is a little more expensive but easier as last time I handled most of the paperwork myself. So after June 20, the little girls are good to go and I don't have to worry about more boosters.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:47 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My friend in the UK and her partner have just put in for this place to rent in Wigan, check it out but don't be gazumping them!!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28570117.html

Great value for money - but way up north! Everything's much cheaper up there.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:48 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldyinlv

No clue. I don't eat anything spicy or hot! (I'm a very boring woman. LOL)
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a great deal as well. 495 quid a month - not bad and looks really nice. like photos of front bedroom..
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and salsa and corn chips too! My cousin says she goes to the take-o takeaway )
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Nope, Barb, but we're on the waiting list for a place near Tony's job.

Still waiting to hear. The recruiter emailed me yesterday saying that he still had not heard anything. I also got an email from that PA job with British Gas and I did not get that job, but at least they contacted me which is always helpful.

for you as well! Chertsey is rather nice. It's just across the river from where we are. Was doing some history reading about Chertsey Abbey the other day.

This entire area here - Staines, Chertsey, Runnymede - has so much historical significance (I'm talking about going waaaaaaaaay back) but you'd never know it today.

Yes I have been doing some history reading myself. Runnymede and the Magna Carta and all that takes me back to my long ago school days.

Hopefully you will hear more about the job this week, maybe 2011 is our year.

I have emailed about a few places in Chertsey, there is a Housing 21 development there but I will have to scout all this out in person and see if it is do-able regarding public transport as I will have no car.

I got the idea for Chertsey off this very BE forum.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I thought it was a great deal as well. 495 quid a month - not bad and looks really nice. like photos of front bedroom..
Yes looks pretty good value for money and of course there are 2 wages coming in which helps.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have heard this complaint on other forums about the restrictions of such as paracetamol.

My sister has terrible trouble sleeping and Boots near where she lives have a shop assistant who won't sell sleeping tablets to her, as she was deemed to be buying "too many"!! So she gets the rest of the family to go in and buy them on her behalf. I got a packet for her and said lady (Hitler) gave a lecture on how to take/not take tablets, blah blah blah, since when did shop assistants become psychiatrists?? Bah Humbug!!!!
I am taking a 500 count bottle of tylenol, and 500ct bottle of tylenol pm..should last me a few days..lol
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes Denise, you do get used to foods in another country, when I came to Australia I thought the jam and the bacon and the chocolate were just awful but over time my taste buds have "adjusted" probably because I had no choice unless I gave them up. No such luck especially with the chocolate.
When we were there in October we went into Woolworths across from the Victoria building near our hotel on Georges Street. After getting band aids (blister) I spied a big bag of Maltesers at the checkout. We sat upstairs in the open on the double decker tour bus and devoured all of them! The chocolate was so much better than the ones we get here. I think ours are made in the Middle East as the writing is from there. They taste like wax.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Do you remember breaking the nibs so you could use them as darts?
Very dangerous! It gave the teacher a fit.

I also remember being canned several times on the hand and never on the backside. I deserved it.

Looking back I'm glad the schools were segregated, as in boys and girls.

We were on the leading edge of fashion because we wore short pants way before they became the fashion.

In the girls school do you remember them wearing those navy blue nickers and they would tuck their skirts into them so they could do handstands in the playground. No big deal!
Ours were bottle green and yes, we did stick our "gym frocks" into our knickers. The nuns made us (
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
We've had a good day!

Actually slept-in (until 10am!) for the first time since we've been back (5 months now). Tony's mum is on holiday in America so we have the house to ourselves.

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max
£0.58 for a small Tesco brand Steak Pie in flaky pastry
£0.74 for a 6-pack of Hovis crumpets
£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugar
£3.00 for mouthwash
£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread
£2.50 for toothpaste
£9.18 for Centrum 50+ vitamins (60 tabs)
£3.70 for BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

We came back home and put the groceries away, then went out for lunch at the new Harvester (chain) pub that opened up recently on the High Street (which, like most others, is "pedestrianised" or should that be spelled with a "z" ??). Not a terrific experience - think they are still working out the kinks with regard to service, but it was okay. Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.

Then..........we went to the cinema and saw "The King's Speech". OMG. It was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as the final credits started to roll, the audience broke out into applause. It's a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOSlzo

Curious about cinema prices?

£8.60 regular seating cinema ticket
£10.30 VIP seating cinema ticket (larger chair, more legroom, reserved seating)
£11 for 2 regular soft drinks and a large popcorn
£5 for 1 regular soft drink and a regular popcorn
Saw the movie here in Dallas. Terrific! I thought Geoffrey Rush was fabulous although he doesn't seem to be getting Oscar buzz unlike Helen Bonham-Carter and Colin Firth.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am taking a 500 count bottle of tylenol, and 500ct bottle of tylenol pm..should last me a few days..lol
Great idea!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
When we were there in October we went into Woolworths across from the Victoria building near our hotel on Georges Street. After getting band aids (blister) I spied a big bag of Maltesers at the checkout. We sat upstairs in the open on the double decker tour bus and devoured all of them! The chocolate was so much better than the ones we get here. I think ours are made in the Middle East as the writing is from there. They taste like wax.
I've seen a discussion on US vs UK chocolate and they admit that it is different and if I remember it is because of the climate and melting chocolate.
You probably know that Hershey/Cadbury have moved a lot of their production to Mexico which is another hot place.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes Celticspirit I have always found American chocolate to taste "waxy" it must be the fat content or something? You can get those Hersheys kisses here in some shops, I have tried them but never cared for them myself. So I would say Australian chocolate is "better" but nowhere near as good as UK chocolate.

I did buy some Lindt chocolate balls the last time I was in Hawaii, they were peanut butter I bought them because they were so "American" (when in Rome) and I so wanted to taste Swiss chocolate with an American twist, I turned over the bag and they were made in New Hampshire!!! So TT and Charleygirl are living right next door to chocolate heaven!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.