Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Beedubya..Something to really look forward to. Are you going to Florence I want to go there when I get home. I've done Spain so many times. I liked Jersey and for a while we thought of settling on the Isle of Wight which is also very nice.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think what I was trying to say is you spend money on things we don't because we have a tight budget (but live quite well I might ad)

It reminds me of someone who said "Why is there vanilla ice cream and why is there chocolate ice scream"? Answer..some like vanilla some like chocolate.

Same with purchasing, some like somethings and other like other things.

OK I'm burying myself.

You went out for a meal. We haven't been out for a long long time, 6 months maybe?. We do have a gift certificate for Olive Garden we haven't used though. We have sent out to Carl Juniors for hamburgers only because we have a 2 for one coupon.

I think I explained about the theater popcorn/drinks and we haven't bought that for ten years because it is too expensive for us.

Maybe I can explain myself this way. You think your income leaves something to be desired but I think you are living fairly well.
Adding fuel to the fire here. Remember DDL and her husband are living with her MIL, not on their own. So they are not living as they want to, just now. I understand where you are coming from, as I posted before - I live simply, but not everyone could live as I do. It took me years to manage this:
no book or magazine subscriptions; use the public library for books only, as DVDs and CDs are rented by the public library and they cost in excess of £2 each; no cinema; no theatre; no restaurants; second hand if possible, new if not possible - only on sale as mentioned before; no landline; mobile only as needed - people here use the text facility more than the talk facility on mobiles; watch my electricity and water consumption like a zealot - no one would want to live with me at the moment!; use the oven the minimum - and I use the residual heat from the flat burners to continue to cook the food on the top, turning off the burner before the food is completely cooked through, and use the residual heat from the oven to heat the room instead of using the electric heater! I learned all this in cabin living in Minnesota, and is it engrained in me now. But still - it has cost me £60 in electricity this month. Let's see what next month brings with it - if it gets cold, then it will go up. At the moment it is mild, so no need to have the heater on for long.

And hey - I love chocolate ice cream! Oh, and would you like a shovel to dig yourself a deeper hole while we are on the topic?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Who knows Barb even I maybe able to get into Corrie ---- given time
You will Rodney, you have no choice with Mrs Rodney's Mum having the telly tuned in 3 times per week.

My son said he had never watched a Corrie episode before in his life but living with my sister he has no choice.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL..I have heard great reviews of the film "The Kings Speech" looking forward to seeing it. I was in the supermarket today and went to buy a tin of Birds Custard. I put it back when I saw the price $5.75. Can make my own with a little effort. Very little effort.....
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow I found the toiletries i.e. mouthwash and toothpaste to be really high in price.

And as for the £11 for 2 regular soft drinks and popcorn That is steep!! I wouldn't pay it on principle!!

My friend in the UK went to see that movie too last week Denise and has raved to me about it, you are the second person, yet I can't see the attraction of a future kings speech impediment.......
I sourced cheaper toiletries in Boots - but was still shocked at the prices for those. And, just a note: you cannot buy large bottles of painkillers here, like Tylenol and Aspirin. They are only available in small blister packs - though you can find generic versions for a small price. Only 16 in a pack. And - I think it is Paracetamol which is only available in restricted quantities, such as 2 - 4 packs of 16 tablets at any one time. Apparently there is a problem with overdosing on them? So I was told, when I questioned the fact. And to think - I gave away my large bottles of Tylenol and Aspirin when I left the USA
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have a dollar (pound) store in Frome?
Good price considering on the eggs. We pay the same price for a dozen but they are from the caged hens. Nuff said.

I think you have to wait another 4 weeks for your pension and I think you are getting Social Security so hopefully you are 'good'

We all need to live in a big 'ouse and share expenses.
How about ten of us together and getting on each others nerves.
There was a cheap shop opposite Marks and Spencer's but it closed not long before I left.

Rosie I am sure you have found that £ shop up Catherine Hill next to the Dogs and Cats Charity shop? I got lots of my stuff from there. There is also a cheap shop in Warminster, I got some bedding and some jeans there very cheap. I have to say though the town itself was a major disappointment.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 15th 2011 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Beedubya..Something to really look forward to. Are you going to Florence I want to go there when I get home. I've done Spain so many times. I liked Jersey and for a while we thought of settling on the Isle of Wight which is also very nice.
I will check what my sister wrote, I haven't been to Europe since I went on a school trip!!!

Hey fancy a trip to Italy with me late summer???? Day trips to Venice, Verona, Florence, Milan stay in Lake Garda in a cheapo dinner bed & breakfast deal??????????

That'll do me!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I sourced cheaper toiletries in Boots - but was still shocked at the prices for those. And, just a note: you cannot buy large bottles of painkillers here, like Tylenol and Aspirin. They are only available in small blister packs - though you can find generic versions for a small price. Only 16 in a pack. And - I think it is Paracetamol which is only available in restricted quantities, such as 2 - 4 packs of 16 tablets at any one time. Apparently there is a problem with overdosing on them? So I was told, when I questioned the fact. And to think - I gave away my large bottles of Tylenol and Aspirin when I left the USA
Yes I have heard this complaint on other forums about the restrictions of such as paracetamol.

My sister has terrible trouble sleeping and Boots near where she lives have a shop assistant who won't sell sleeping tablets to her, as she was deemed to be buying "too many"!! So she gets the rest of the family to go in and buy them on her behalf. I got a packet for her and said lady (Hitler) gave a lecture on how to take/not take tablets, blah blah blah, since when did shop assistants become psychiatrists?? Bah Humbug!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Totty True I am so sorry the house sale didn't work out for you again, you must be sorely disappointed.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:18 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

You went out for a meal. We haven't been out for a long long time, 6 months maybe
Yes, we went out for a meal, probably the 2nd or 3rd pub meal we've had since we moved back (5 months ago). Any other meals out we've had since arriving have been Mum's treat which is always appreciated.

I explained about the theater popcorn/drinks and we haven't bought that for ten years because it is too expensive for us.
We didn't buy anything at the cinema; I was just sharing the prices with everyone. We had our meal just prior to the movie, so we didn't need anything to eat at the cinema.

Maybe I can explain myself this way. You think your income leaves something to be desired but I think you are living fairly well.
Yes ... because we're living rent-free with my mother-in-law! The fact remains that on £24k/year*, we would not be able to rent a flat and live on our own - at least not in this part of the country.

*Which, after deductions, equates to about £15,600/year NET.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 15th 2011 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, we went out for a meal, probably the 2nd or 3rd pub meal we've had since we moved back (5 months ago). Any other meals out we've had since arriving have been Mum's treat which is always appreciated.

We didn't buy anything at the cinema; I was just sharing the prices with everyone. We had our meal just prior to the movie, so we didn't need anything to eat at the cinema.

Yes ... because we're living rent-free with my mother-in-law! The fact remains that on £24k/year*, we would not be able to rent a flat and live on our own - at least not in this part of the country.

*Which, after deductions, equates to about £15,600/year NET.
Yes agreed Denise, I have been looking at rents in your area and it's not cheap unless you can get into sheltered housing. Have you had any luck in that department yet? What happened with that job where they were getting back to you?

If this job deal comes through for me (I should hear this week fingers crossed) then I was thinking of Chertsey area???? Might as well be going to live in Outer Mongolia for all I know.....eeekkkk!!!

My niece has said I can stay with them in North London but it will be a one and a half hour commute each way, it would surely do until I get my bearings, who knows where any of us will end up!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

My friend in the UK and her partner have just put in for this place to rent in Wigan, check it out but don't be gazumping them!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28570117.html
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:38 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL...I dont know if I asked this before but what do you miss the most about the US. I know when we were home my husband missed peanut butter and mayonaisse and corn on the cob.

Funny you should ask that because my mother-in-law is in America right now on holiday (to visit Tony's brother who lives in Florida). Before she left she asked if there was anything we wanted her to bring back for us. Do you know, there was only one thing we could think of and that was Aleve (painkiller). (We brought several bottles with us when we moved over, but we've slowly been using it up.)

Tony and I were talking about it today. There really isn't any type of food that we miss. I couldn't even think of a magazine that I wanted her to bring back.

Now, if she could put my 3 grandsons into her luggage, that would be something altogether different.

P.S. They sell mayonnaise here( there's a small bottle of Hellmann's in our fridge), and peanut butter although afaic the peanut butter in America is better but I'm sure it's just a matter of what one is used to.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Funny you should ask that because my mother-in-law is in America right now on holiday (to visit Tony's brother who lives in Florida). Before she left she asked if there was anything we wanted her to bring back for us. Do you know, there was only one thing we could think of and that was Aleve (painkiller). (We brought several bottles with us when we moved over, but we've slowly been using it up.)

Tony and I were talking about it today. There really isn't any type of food that we miss. I couldn't even think of a magazine that I wanted her to bring back.

Now, if she could put my 3 grandsons into her luggage, that would be something altogether different.

P.S. They sell mayonnaise here( there's a small bottle of Hellmann's in our fridge), and peanut butter although afaic the peanut butter in America is better but I'm sure it's just a matter of what one is used to.
Yes Denise, you do get used to foods in another country, when I came to Australia I thought the jam and the bacon and the chocolate were just awful but over time my taste buds have "adjusted" probably because I had no choice unless I gave them up. No such luck especially with the chocolate.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:45 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes agreed Denise, I have been looking at rents in your area and it's not cheap unless you can get into sheltered housing. Have you had any luck in that department yet?
Nope, Barb, but we're on the waiting list for a place near Tony's job.

What happened with that job where they were getting back to you?
Still waiting to hear. The recruiter emailed me yesterday saying that he still had not heard anything. I also got an email from that PA job with British Gas and I did not get that job, but at least they contacted me which is always helpful.

If this job deal comes through for me (I should hear this week fingers crossed) then I was thinking of Chertsey area???? Might as well be going to live in Outer Mongolia for all I know.....eeekkkk!!!
for you as well! Chertsey is rather nice. It's just across the river from where we are. Was doing some history reading about Chertsey Abbey the other day.

This entire area here - Staines, Chertsey, Runnymede - has so much historical significance (I'm talking about going waaaaaaaaay back) but you'd never know it today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.