Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh dear, reading this thread it seems I have no idea how to eat anymore.

I have no idea what is right in which country anymore and honestly, I find it hard to care. I eat however I eat - if someone looks down on me because I'm holding my fork the British or American way (Lord, knows what I picked up in Canada!) well, that's their problem. Seems very unimportant to me. It reminds me of the worst of Britain - those social mores that separate one 'class' from another and allow one group of people to feel superior to another.

I prefer to judge people by their character. A kind, friendly, funny person can eat their peas with both hands for all I care, just as long as they take care of the people they love and live a good life.
That is a good attitude to have .

I try to remember that too, I have also been on the end of some 'snobbery' because I try am a lady and eat and behave accordingly .

Snobbery and thinking one is better than another works both ways ,inverted snobbery is a killer !
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Probably more than that, I'd say. I'm taxed as a single person, and pay income tax, National Insurance (which isn't cheap!) and a "company" pension, and I take home about 67% of my gross earnings. If I were to not include my company pension deduction, it comes to about 74%.

I have an above-average salary so considering that everyone has the same personal tax-free allowance, people on lower salaries would take home proportionally higher % of their gross salary.

FYI, My national insurance deduction is about one third of the amount of income tax deducted.
Good gosh, Dunroving, that's the same or better than I take home in the U.S. I take home 67% of my gross and that is NOT paying into a 401K either - I am not eligible yet.

I decided this week that, now that I am working, I am going to begin prepping my pets, even though I have 3.5 years before I leave here. I just can't see myself waiting 3.5 years. I don't know what will come to pass that would allow me to return earlier, but perhaps if I make moves towards an earlier return, things will work out.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on, it doesn't matter how you hold your fork in an American culture.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Good gosh, Dunroving, that's the same or better than I take home in the U.S. I take home 67% of my gross and that is NOT paying into a 401K either - I am not eligible yet.

I decided this week that, now that I am working, I am going to begin prepping my pets, even though I have 3.5 years before I leave here. I just can't see myself waiting 3.5 years. I don't know what will come to pass that would allow me to return earlier, but perhaps if I make moves towards an earlier return, things will work out.
Yes, if you start the process (microchip, rabies vaccine, rabies antibody titer test), I think as long as you maintain their rabies boosters you are OK.

I think if you get to the point where you get the 3rd country certificate filled in and countersigned, it has an expiry date (after which I think you'd just have to fill in another one and pay $110 or so for another countersignature), but you'd have to check online or call DEFRA to make sure.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rosie,
Have you taken any new photos in the last ten days? I wish there was some of the rain. (don't throw anything)
I know you are busy with projects.
Cheers
Took a few - will upload them later on if they came out OK, but I have not been any where interesting for quite some while. Been talking to you all instead!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

If you are comparing overall taxation (not just income tax), you'll find that some UK taxes (e.g., VAT) are higher than the US equivalent (e.g., State purchase tax), and then there are things like property tax vs council tax (though I think most places in the States would also lose that battle), so it's not a completely straightforward comparison.

And then of course the UK has that wonderful stamp duty on house purchases. :curse:

However, I think especially for older adults, the UK has a lot of breaks (higher personal tax allowance, winter fuel allowance, council tax reduction - I think, not sure, free bus passes) that make the cost of living much better here these days, especially for those on low income.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

However, I think especially for older adults, the UK has a lot of breaks (higher personal tax allowance, winter fuel allowance, council tax reduction - I think, not sure, free bus passes) that make the cost of living much better here these days, especially for those on low income.
Shush don't tell everybody because as it is there are too many moving there and with the government looking at everything some programs could be cancelled. Everything except the bankers bonuses that is.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

If you are comparing overall taxation (not just income tax), you'll find that some UK taxes (e.g., VAT) are higher than the US equivalent (e.g., State purchase tax), and then there are things like property tax vs council tax (though I think most places in the States would also lose that battle), so it's not a completely straightforward comparison.
And then of course, there are our health care costs which come out of UK taxes, so if you comparing apples to apples, those really need to be included.

I was able to do a pretty good comparison (I'm anal so I worked it all out!) and what I found was that for most people the tax burden (including health care costs) is slightly lower in the UK, but that richer you get, the better off you are in America. Everyone's situation is different of course - my health care costs are £880 a month and NY property taxes are 3x what they would be in the UK, so my savings would be higher than someone in a different situation.

The other big expense difference I see is that a lot of major outlays cost a lot less in the UK. Get a new kitchen here, and you're looking at a minimum of $30,000 for a small kitchen if you buy cheap units and do most of the work yourself. You can get the same thing in the UK for under $8,000.

But of course, salaries are lower so the lower taxes might not help make up the cost of living difference. Basically I think everyone is different and you have to do the full analysis for yourself to work out your financial situation in both countries.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 15th 2011 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Took a few - will upload them later on if they came out OK, but I have not been any where interesting for quite some while. Been talking to you all instead!
OK while I'm waiting I will take another walk in the neighborhood in Frome via Google.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:25 pm
Ping-ponger

Shush don't tell everybody because as it is there are too many moving there and with the government looking at everything some programs could be cancelled. Everything except the bankers bonuses that is.
Don't get me started on that one. I buy into the need for all these austerity cuts (and I'm one who is being affected in my job, big-time), but the lack of b*lls the government is showing regarding bankers is driving me INSANE.

In Ireland, the government told Allied Irish Bank that if they gave out the big bonuses they had planned, the government would remove all support/tax breaks, etc. The bank immediately caved: http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n237128
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Remember also that the personal tax allowance for 2011-2012 will be £7,475 - so income tax doesn't begin to kick in except for amounts earned above and beyond that amount (or maybe I'm misreading your post?)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

So, here's what you'd pay in income tax, approximately (not sure if it is after or before NI is deducted):

£0-£7,475 - free of income tax (taxed at 0%)
£7,475 to £42,475 - taxed at 20%
£42,476 to £157,475 - taxed at 40% (the upper limit for this tax rate has been reduced since last year)
Anything over £157,475 - taxed at 50%

- the first of your rates is for income on savings only, so isn't associated with salary (I think).
- and these calculations and figures are for a single person - married couples will be a bit different
- and personal tax allowance is higher if you are over 64 (£9,940), and highertill if you are over 74 (£10,090)
Thanks, Dunroving. I am putting this in my file of "Move to UK" info
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

That had crossed my mind, too. By the time I get there, half of the programs and perks for OAPS might be cancelled!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, if you start the process (microchip, rabies vaccine, rabies antibody titer test), I think as long as you maintain their rabies boosters you are OK.

I think if you get to the point where you get the 3rd country certificate filled in and countersigned, it has an expiry date (after which I think you'd just have to fill in another one and pay $110 or so for another countersignature), but you'd have to check online or call DEFRA to make sure.
What is the "third" country certificate? I didn't know about that.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't get me started on that one. I buy into the need for all these austerity cuts (and I'm one who is being affected in my job, big-time), but the lack of b*lls the government is showing regarding bankers is driving me INSANE.

In Ireland, the government told Allied Irish Bank that if they gave out the big bonuses they had planned, the government would remove all support/tax breaks, etc. The bank immediately caved: http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n237128
Dunroving, it's even worse in the US. The government gave the banks a TON of taxpayer money while they, the banks, continue to rip off the homeowners and the government does nothing about it. The banks are so large in the U.S., they have crippled the country. They are THE most crooked form of business here. I can vouch for that!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I have to interject: even though I still have administrative issues to sort out here, I have relaxed for the first time in 24 years. Like Rodney said, I don't feel excited at being back, just comfortable. Of course, if I had been met at Heathrow by the T mobile group, I may have felt excited then!
Every day that I leave my flat, and walk about in town, I chance on someone interesting to talk to - even about the (proverbial topic) weather. I spent a couple of hours in the laundry yesterday and had multiple conversations going - many people to talk to, and everyone was chatty.
Getting rid of all that U.S. stress that we lived with for years will take time. It's similar to the grief process - it will come and go in waves for a while with the waves getting longer each time until one day it is gone forever. Three months is a good time frame to feeling "normal" again.

I just want to add that as much as I want to go home to the UK, I am also terrified! Have you all felt this way? I think it is because I have no family there, at least none I can count on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.