Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:54 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Totally off topic - but I have no idea how to resolve this situation. In this little flat my clothes are stored in a portable wardrobe, made from polyester fabric. The label on it says not to wash, just wipe with a damp cloth. I did that, but still cannot remove the smell of the curry that the previous tenant cooked a lot of in this flat. I wondered why my jacket - in particular - smelled so awful, so I have been airing it instead of putting away in the wardrobe. But I have no place else to store my clothes at the moment. So - does anyone have a miracle curry smell remover that is not chemical? Help!
Well I do know that if one cooks a curry, the best way to get the smell out of the kitchen is to leave a saucer containing white (spirit) vinegar in the room overnight. It really does work!

It might be worth giving it a try to wipe down the portable wardrobe with white vinegar, say a couple of times. However the curry smell may be ingrained into the fabric. Perhaps also try 'Febreze' spray afterwards to give the room a nice smell...

Actually it's quite common in Singapore for landlords (most of them are Chinese) to state 'No Indians' when they want new tenants. Incredibly it's not illegal for them to do this! Apparently they don't want their properties smelling of curry or the kitchens getting stained by the turmeric (the yellow spice) which is very difficult to remove.

As already mentioned, I would inform the landlord; most landlords are very amenable to requests from a good tenant.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Barb I remember when I
emigrated to Australia, I was 19 I really didn't care about learning too much info about life there, at the time, all I could think of was the wonderful adventure that I was about to embark on, The Job that sponsored my £10 Pom trip was Melbourne Tramways, I was a tram conductor there, anyway the only little brochure they sent me in England before I left was about the Job and the pay and hours and the company pension amount after 40 years of service
Of course the internet was not yet invented in 1965, and here we are all these years later and even people of our age who were not brought up on computers like they are now ---- we dont know what we would do without them, I ddidn'tbuy my first computer uuntil11 years ago, but the month that I spent over here not having my own laptop at home felt really weird to me,
I used to sit from 6pm till 9pm just gazing but not interested in all the back to back night time soaps my Mum has got into the habit of watching for the last 50 years since they started ccoronationstreet, and me well these soaps are not my cup of tea ----- so when they come on thats the time I just walk over to the table and get on my laptop ---- and Im as happy as a sand boy, Hmmm just what the heck is a sandboy anyway?
Rodney.
I CANNOT believe you are not addicted to Coronation Street yet!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I definitely can see how handwriting could be relaxing and enjoyable if you're good at it, just like any other creative art.

Yup! I honestly can't imagine writing any other way. Good writing is more about editing than it is the initial writing and a computer just makes that so easy to do - you can save past versions to compare, you can keep moving things around until you get it just right ... so many advantages. I think the art of writing is really the art of thinking - Wordsworth would have been just as good a thinker with an iMac as he was with a quill - and he'd probably have had time to write more poems!

When I hear of those authors who write by hand, I always think about the poor minion has to come in and get all the scrawl on to the computer, and then do it all again and again each time the author has scratched edits all over it.
All those good books and poems people read these days are written on a computer, so yes I totally agree with you Sally, when your typing --- your words and Ideas and feelings and emotions are coming from our brain and all these Ideas are just flowing out and they have to be caught quick, dictation is the best into a recorder, but typing into a computer is a real close second, and I would definitely say that writing the words down with a pen or pencil would be a definite third in these days of so much wonderful technology,

changing the subject I walked back into Comet where I bought my laptop a couple of days ago and purchased a really nice printer/copier/scanner all in one, its made by HP and it only cost £32 including 20% VAT and that was not a sale price, so I love it,

And talking about that best selling book that Anna was going to write, Hmmmm has anyone seen it on the book shop shelves yet? ---- com on Anna we are all wondering how your doing its been a while since you posted, are you still in Malta or have you made it back to England yet, have you found that rich bloke yet?
Barbara in Sydney is still looking for her Millionaire dream man, she thought she found him too when John Travota flew in on his private Jet a few months ago --- but unfortunately he was taken

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 14th 2011 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well I do know that if one cooks a curry, the best way to get the smell out of the kitchen is to leave a saucer containing white (spirit) vinegar in the room overnight. It really does work!

It might be worth giving it a try to wipe down the portable wardrobe with white vinegar, say a couple of times. However the curry smell may be ingrained into the fabric. Perhaps also try 'Febreze' spray afterwards to give the room a nice smell...

Actually it's quite common in Singapore for landlords (most of them are Chinese) to state 'No Indians' when they want new tenants. Incredibly it's not illegal for them to do this! Apparently they don't want their properties smelling of curry or the kitchens getting stained by the turmeric (the yellow spice) which is very difficult to remove.

As already mentioned, I would inform the landlord; most landlords are very amenable to requests from a good tenant.
I second the white vinegar I use it for smells here too. You can also put it in a spray bottle mixed with some water and spray the whole thing down (and you smelly jacket) then leave it all to dry out.
If you have no vinegar, Vodka does the same thing, spray it on leave it to dry and no smell.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:21 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yup! I honestly can't imagine writing any other way. Good writing is more about editing than it is the initial writing and a computer just makes that so easy to do - you can save past versions to compare, you can keep moving things around until you get it just right ... so many advantages. I think the art of writing is really the art of thinking - Wordsworth would have been just as good a thinker with an iMac as he was with a quill - and he'd probably have had time to write more poems! When I hear of those authors who write by hand, I always think about the poor minion has to come in and get all the scrawl on to the computer, and then do it all again and again each time the author has scratched edits all over it.

Different strokes, Sally. I see where you're coming from but the thought of Wordsworth composing "Daffodils" on an iMac has about as much romantic appeal to me as the thought of Monet painting water lilies on an iPad! (And we all know it's all about romance. LOL)

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 14th 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I CANNOT believe you are not addicted to Coronation Street yet!!
In America I hated any kind of soap, in England however even though they are a little more natural and like everyday living then the superficial type of American day time soap where all the female stars look like a barbe doll with all the makeup & all plastered on, and all the males looking like a young Roger Moore in the Saint without a single strand of hair out of place,
Interesting though that all the soaps in US come on in the day time and all the soaps in UK come on in the night time,
But Im afraid most of the stars in the UK soaps wouldn't be able to get a Job on an American soap unless they had plastic surgery first, Ohhhhhh that was a terrible thing for me to say
But I read in the paper that Emerdale gets 17 million viewers every night so they must be doing something right, but I really do feel that most of the people over here who watch there soaps every night religously are addicted to them, you should see my Mum if she forgets the time and turns on the TV 5 minutes after the program has started she gets really irritable.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers, I'm 56 years old and remember well being taught penmanship when I was in school. I absolutely loved it ~ and luckily have very beautiful handwriting. Cashiers at the shops used to always compliment me when I would write out a check.

My 3 young grandsons in school in the US are also learning penmanship but it's a bit different than it used to be. Now, they teach them a form of printing first that has "looped tails" at the end of every letter - which, when they are ready to learn what Americans call "cursive" writing, makes the transition very easy, they just hook up the letters. Hope I'm explaining this correctly. I think it's called "Denelian", the process they teach in school, at least in the area of South Carolina where I lived.

ha ha And I haven't seen any penmanship here in England that I would consider attractive or even legible! But Cheers, it's like everything else: there's good handwriting and bad handwriting no matter where you are.

Now, I won't even get into the way people in the UK hold a knife and fork! (But I've always held my utensils that way. My grandfather was from Austria and he ate the "European" way and somehow or other I picked it up as a little girl.)
Denise I have always found it amusing on how all Americans hold there knife and fork, especially when they eat a steak or anything that they need to cut, they hold there fork in there left hand like a dagger (full fist grip and they stab the steak whilst cutting a portion off with the knife in there right hand ---- then for some reason they switch hands and the fork is now in there right hand with the piece of steak on it and the knife is laid down on the plate, then they chew & swallow, and then they transfer the fork from right to left and the whole thing is repeated --- for about a dozen times until the steak is finished,
Now to me that looks like a lot of darn work just to have dinner, ---- now as we all know the way the Brits eat is quite simple and to us of course the correct way to eat, ---- Fork in left hand and Knife in right hand, and thats where they stay until the meal is finished, ---- we dont put em down until were all done,
Take care me dear,
Rodney.
PS Denise dont think Im picking on you cause Im not, just pointing out the different traditions between the two countries.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Denise I have always found it amusing on how all Americans hold there knife and fork, especially when they eat a steak or anything that they need to cut, they hold there fork in there left hand like a dagger (full fist grip and they stab the steak whilst cutting a portion off with the knife in there right hand ---- then for some reason they switch hands and the fork is now in there right hand with the piece of steak on it and the knife is laid down on the plate, then they chew & swallow, and then they transfer the fork from right to left and the whole thing is repeated --- for about a dozen times until the steak is finished,
Now to me that looks like a lot of darn work just to have dinner, ---- now as we all know the way the Brits eat is quite simple and to us of course the correct way to eat, ---- Fork in left hand and Knife in right hand, and thats where they stay until the meal is finished, ---- we dont put em down until were all done,
Take care me dear,
Rodney.
PS Denise dont think Im picking on you cause Im not, just pointing out the different traditions between the two countries.
When I first came to this country my ex husband, said he was embarrased by the way I ate with a knife and fork..said I looked like a heathen. I should learn to eat the "Amercian way" . Now maybe you can begin to see why I am divorced..lol
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

In America I hated any kind of soap,

You said it ! Its here in black and white.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Take care me dear,
Rodney.
Totally agree with Rodney here, US can't hold their knife and fork properly, I refuse to eat using my knife like a dagger and my fork like a spoon.
I've taught my kids the correct way to eat too. table manners are important, and chopping a steak up into bits then using only a fork looks like a bunch of preschooler having dinner.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
When I first came to this country my ex husband, said he was embarrased by the way I ate with a knife and fork..said I looked like a heathen. I should learn to eat the "Amercian way" . Now maybe you can begin to see why I am divorced..lol
I think he had that a bit backwards
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers, I'm 56 years old and remember well being taught penmanship when I was in school. I absolutely loved it ~ and luckily have very beautiful handwriting. Cashiers at the shops used to always compliment me when I would write out a check.
Penmanship and signatures?

Some maybe able to share their experience of going to Walmart and signing on the pad for a credit card purchase. Got it? Now the point on the pen is about 1/4" wide! How are you going to sign your signature with that??

I like so many of you have lost the art of penmanship and about the only time I write is on checks.

You have me thinking to my school days in England and having the school supplied pen and nib and inkwell and blotting paper. (man I'm as old as a dinosaur)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Totally agree with Rodney here, US can't hold their knife and fork properly, I refuse to eat using my knife like a dagger and my fork like a spoon.
I've taught my kids the correct way to eat too. table manners are important, and chopping a steak up into bits then using only a fork looks like a bunch of preschooler having dinner.
I know ,when I first saw my husband do this here (never happened in the UK )I thought he was joking !!!!!!

I actually scolded him like a small child ,I was so shocked

Anyway ,he never did it again ...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:08 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that the reason that they eat that way dates back to the days of wagon trains and the Wild West.
Since there wasn't the luxury of such things as dining tables they ate sitting on the ground or standing up and holding the plate with one hand and the utensil in the other.
It sounds as logical as the reason why Brits drive on the "wrong" side of the road.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the useful anti-smell hints. I ended up taking the cloth part off, and throwing it in a heap outside, to be dealt with another day. Wiped down the frame, and am using that to dry my washing on - I went to the public laundry and the dryers were either all taken or the unused one was broken. So I took the wet stuff home to dry - no biggie, as I hate using the energy to dry clothes, when there are alternates - like air! Went to the dollar store and bought an extending clothes airer and clothes pegs. Now I am in business on my own!

When life gives you lemons etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.