Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
OMG Peigi how come its so expensive, I know you said you dont dial long distant, but do you talk a lot on your phone? most big mobile phone companies offer a monthly package where you only pay one set charge and you get ---- like 800 minutes and like 800 text's,
Ive just talked to my Nephew and he has Vodaphone, and he gets 600 minutes, and unlimited text, and unlimited email and on line surfing, all for a set monthly fee of £25, all calls anywhere are covered, except 0800 numbers, they charge a lot if you dial those type of numbers ----- But his company charges £2 a month extra if you want, and then you get to call unlimited 0800 numbers, there free on a landline phone but not a mobil, looks like you are being ripped off,
Me ------ well I have only had the same pay as you go T-MOBIL since Ive been home, I top it up about once every three months for £5 I very rarely call anyone on my mobile I always use my landline phone at home, theres nothing so important going on in my life that it cant wait till I get home
A mobil for me has only ever been used for emergencies or if I really really need to speak to this person right this minute or not while Im out,
What amused me in the States was when I was in the supermarket you would often see young men shopping and there on there cell phone talking to the misses on what to buy? what would these people have done I wonder if they lived in the days not too long ago when there were no Cell phones ----- Oh those were the days!!!!!
I hardly ever use my phone, can go days without using it but if you call some 0845 or 0800 numbers you are charged for the amount of time you are on, so if you are calling almost any of the government numbers you get charged. I used to text my husband but that became expensive, so don't do that anymore. I check my invoice each and every month and have had to call them with things that I have been charged for and have never used, for eg. traffic they kept charging me £3.86 per month until I finally called them and they said I must have set it up. I took the phone down to the Orange shop and the young gentleman said it had been set up before I had purchased it, he could not take it off the phone. I will not contract again, will go with pay as you go.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning If1, I was at Kelso last month, a friend invited me to go to the horse show that was in the castle grounds. I fell in love with the area unfortunately my friends sister would not let us stop to see some of the scenery and visit some of the lovely little stores in the towns we went through. I plan to visit again and take much more time enjoying the area, perhaps we could get together for a coffee when I visit. I did have plans to go camping up there this summer but unfortunately things did not go to plan, there seemed to be so many places that would be wonderful to camp at.

I like you do not use my phone very much and feel that I am paying a lot of money for something I really don't use. I have plans to go pay as you go and have BT put in land line and internet for I think the price is £13.00 per month. The only reason I went with contract was that I was working in Inverness and needed a dongle for the internet and mobile phone for work.
Floor Castle grounds are fantastic and it suprise me that a family actually lives in the house. I did enjoy drive through Melrose on the way there, I loved the feeling that the small towns gave me, they looked so very clean and well looked after compared to Ayr and the west of Scotland. I have a tent but when I was able to camp a couple of times last year actually had a air mattress and sleeping bag and slept in the back of my estate. I have camped all over Canada and enjoy it as it can cost you very little and you get to see so much of the country at your on pace.

Where abouts in Prince Edward Island are your friends located, it is a beautiful province but unfortunately economically it is not the best, depends a lot on tourism and fishing. It can be difficult to feel part of the island though, if you are not at least third or fourth generation islander then you will always be "from away". Lots of Scottish and Irish names, actually most of the island is Scottish and Irish with new immigrants being from Holland or Germany.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Floor Castle grounds are fantastic and it suprise me that a family actually lives in the house. I did enjoy drive through Melrose on the way there, I loved the feeling that the small towns gave me, they looked so very clean and well looked after compared to Ayr and the west of Scotland. I have a tent but when I was able to camp a couple of times last year actually had a air mattress and sleeping bag and slept in the back of my estate. I have camped all over Canada and enjoy it as it can cost you very little and you get to see so much of the country at your on pace.
I agree that the small towns look so well looked after as do the interiors of the homes. Only thing is you have to drive about 20 miles for the trains because there aren't any stations close by. I 'ave to 'ave me trains.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in Prince Edward Island are your friends located, it is a beautiful province but unfortunately economically it is not the best, depends a lot on tourism and fishing. It can be difficult to feel part of the island though, if you are not at least third or fourth generation islander then you will always be "from away". Lots of Scottish and Irish names, actually most of the island is Scottish and Irish with new immigrants being from Holland or Germany.[/QUOTE]

They are in Breadalbane. She is from PEI so I think it has been easy for them to slip into the way of life. They are really enjoying being retired there after living in Calgary.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

ED you were mentioned on another thread and i thought i would pop in and say i hope things improve for you. I am from where you are, and i know its an extremely tough area, I cant imagine how your managing without developing a strong Ayrshire accent, lol, (also think of me trying to survive in oz WITH a strong Ayrshire accent. I know they dont take kindly to outsiders.

I was saying in the other thread i would love to return to Scotland but would be very dubious about returning to Ayrshire and we do have family and friends. I doubt i would get a job (and am a registered nurse, but i knew when i left Crosshouse Hosp i wouldnt have a hope of hell of getting a job back there, as people queue up for jobs there, even nurses), and i know my husband would never get a job (he spent a time unemployed there and we also had a printing shop in 'ayr that went tits up!)

I can also understand the bitterness as i also watched generations of familys on the dole who were better off than us, i should say better financially off.

Goodluck ED and take heart, coz if your surviving there you can survive anywhere!

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 22nd 2012 at 9:38 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3
ED you were mentioned on another thread and i thought i would pop in and say i hope things improve for you. I am from where you are, and i know its an extremely tough area, I cant imagine how your managing without developing a strong Ayrshire accent, lol, (also think of me trying to survive in oz WITH a strong Ayrshire accent. I know they dont take kindly to outsiders.

I was saying in the other thread i would love to return to Scotland but would be very dubious about returning to Ayrshire and we do have family and friends. I doubt i would get a job (and am a registered nurse, but i knew when i left Crosshouse Hosp i wouldnt have a hope of hell of getting a job back there, as people queue up for jobs there, even nurses), and i know my husband would never get a job (he spent a time unemployed there and we also had a printing shop in 'ayr that went tits up!)

I can also understand the bitterness as i also watched generations of familys on the dole who were better off than us, i should say better financially off.

Goodluck ED and take heart, coz if your surviving there you can survive anywhere!
Thanks Margaret for the good wishes, yes it is tough here and your correct about the Ayrshire accent, there is also a difference in accents depending where you live in Ayrshire. Although I was born here, I lived most of my life in Canada and therfore my accent is Canadian, so although born in Ayrshire still not really accepted.

My girlfriend is a Physio Therapist at Crosshouse although she is not based there, she is always telling me about the politics that go on there. Being a registered nurse myself I was appalled to find out what they pay RN's here, when I left nursing in 2000 I was making $30.00 per hour, which is the equivalent of about £22.00. I did work in Health Care after I arrived here, although as a manager of an office for a private health care agency but found that they expected you to work 60 to 70 hours per week and be on call 24 hrs per day and every weekend for very little money.

I did spend 5 months in Inverness and I loved it up there, the people were lovely and friendly. I have also travelled to the borders this summer and loved it their also, if I had the chance I would leave Ayrshire and move either more north or south, just not the same anymore.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Where abouts in Prince Edward Island are your friends located, it is a beautiful province but unfortunately economically it is not the best, depends a lot on tourism and fishing. It can be difficult to feel part of the island though, if you are not at least third or fourth generation islander then you will always be "from away". Lots of Scottish and Irish names, actually most of the island is Scottish and Irish with new immigrants being from Holland or Germany.
They are in Breadalbane. She is from PEI so I think it has been easy for them to slip into the way of life. They are really enjoying being retired there after living in Calgary.[/QUOTE]

That would help then but if her husband is not from there he will always be from away lol. Being retired on the Island is the ideal way to live, as life continues very slowly. I do wish they had not built the Confederation Bridge as I think the Island changed after they did that. I always loved getting on the Ferry and going across to Nova Scotia my vacation always started on the boat.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Margaret for the good wishes, yes it is tough here and your correct about the Ayrshire accent, there is also a difference in accents depending where you live in Ayrshire. Although I was born here, I lived most of my life in Canada and therfore my accent is Canadian, so although born in Ayrshire still not really accepted.

My girlfriend is a Physio Therapist at Crosshouse although she is not based there, she is always telling me about the politics that go on there. Being a registered nurse myself I was appalled to find out what they pay RN's here, when I left nursing in 2000 I was making $30.00 per hour, which is the equivalent of about £22.00. I did work in Health Care after I arrived here, although as a manager of an office for a private health care agency but found that they expected you to work 60 to 70 hours per week and be on call 24 hrs per day and every weekend for very little money.

I did spend 5 months in Inverness and I loved it up there, the people were lovely and friendly. I have also travelled to the borders this summer and loved it their also, if I had the chance I would leave Ayrshire and move either more north or south, just not the same anymore.

Ayrshire accents , i do miss them though, even the Cumnock ones, I trained at Ballochmyle (where i came from Blantyre), then spent most of my life in ayrshire developing my ayrshire accent as they weren't happy about my glaswegian one, lol.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Just to let the 'regulars' who post here that I became a 'naturalized' US citizen today!

It was a very quick procedure; I only sent my (and my son's) application by FedEx on 10th May - with the fee for $680 each. I had to go for the biometrics (fingerprints/photo) on 30th June and today I had to go for the interview and test. It was done at the Federal building in Newark, New Jersey and at this location they also do the 'oath' ceremony on the same day.

An official was actually walking along the row of applicants to ensure that we were all actually speaking the oath and not miming it lol!

I'm glad it's out of the way. Tomorrow I'll apply for an American passport at my local Post Office (yes, you can do this at most US Post Offices) and once it arrives I can plan to make a move back to Europe - initially to be resident Switzerland where my spouse is based with his job

(It will be nice to be able to vote in the Federal elections in a few weeks as Obama's first term of office is expiring and he is hoping to be re-elected for a second term. I'm definitely not voting for Mitt Romney... )

Btw; although my son and I went for our biometrics on the same day, we were sent to different clerks. His appointment is on Sept 11th - at 7.50am... What a poignant date - so many people in our local area were killed at the WTC that day

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 23rd 2012 at 2:10 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just to let the 'regulars' who post here that I became a 'naturalized' US citizen today!

It was a very quick procedure; I only sent my (and my son's) application by FedEx on 10th May - with the fee for $680 each. I had to go for the biometrics (fingerprints/photo) on 30th June and today I had to go for the interview and test. It was done at the Federal building in Newark, New Jersey and at this location they also do the 'oath' ceremony on the same day.

An official was actually walking along the row of applicants to ensure that we were all actually speaking the oath and not miming it lol!

I'm glad it's out of the way. Tomorrow I'll apply for an American passport at my local Post Office (yes, you can do this at most US Post Offices) and once it arrives I can plan to make a move back to Europe - initially to be resident Switzerland where my spouse is based with his job

(It will be nice to be able to vote in the Federal elections in a few weeks as Obama's first term of office is expiring and he is hoping to be re-elected for a second term. I'm definitely not voting for Mitt Romney... )

Btw; although my son and I went for our biometrics on the same day, we were sent to different clerks. His appointment is on Sept 11th - at 7.50am... What a poignant date - so many people in our local area were killed at the WTC that day
Huge congrats.......(I think) ???? Yes OBAMA XX
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, and that will make your life so much easier! What a journey you have made.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:06 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Englishmum!! You must be looking forward to the next stage and moving to Europe.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations Englishmum, lovely to read Trottytrue is on the mend and sorry that things are not working out for ED, I wish you all continuing good things to come.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Englishmum. That's an interesting point you made about the official checking to make sure everyone was actually speaking.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum, a great big whopping CONGRATULATIONS from me too!!!!
Its a good feeling isn't it? you know when its all over and they hand you your certificate
I remember my oath ceremony, 1200 people became American Citizens that day in the court room in Las Vegas,
From the time I sent my application in along with my $680 check, to the time of the oath ceremony in 2010, it took me about the same time as you, 3 & half months, they do it nice and fast in certain parts of the U.S.
Same thoughts as you ----- Romney ---- NOT!!!!
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.