Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by torteval
Oh yes, I forgot totally that I originally started lurking when I was in France between the UK and the US.

Am in Alabama, moved here to be with new husband (who has lots of expensive baggage from former marriage).

Now we are moving back to the UK and just counting down to mid September when I shall probably have to start work in Watford.

Rodney, I shall be moving temporarily to live with my mother near Portsmouth and commuting a couple of days a week.

Bringing cats and some 'stuff' but leaving most things here. Husband will leave his job in a neighbouring state when the house in Alabama sells and join me in the south somewhere.

Anyone with good advice about an area to live that would allow me to get to Watford but is not too expensive?

Amazing how confusing your life can get in 5 years.

Cheers, does that make more sense?
Yes that clears it up, thanks.

There is a place near Watford that is a real find and its in Essex. I will try and find it. One of the celebrities lives there.

OK on to the detective work.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Essex is too far away for Watford.

Try Rickmansworth which is very close. Why Rickmansworth? I was there about 50 years ago and it and Charleyswood stand out as being very upscale. Rents are not as bad as London.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:01 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I would imagine that one of the 'new towns' in Hertfordshire may be more affordable than established towns and villages; Hemel Hempstead (about 8 miles from Watford) is one of these. New Towns were established for Londoners to move out to after their homes were destroyed when London was heavily bombed in WW2. Many of the homes are on 'estates'. They were originally local authority ie. 'council houses' and many have been purchased, but prices still tend to command a bit less than privately constructed properties.

http://www.hertfordshire.com/pages/towns/guides/636/

http://www.hertfordshire.com/pages/towns/guides/299/

A handy website to check distances between towns in the UK is:

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 25th 2012 at 6:11 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

torteval is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you English Mum.

I know that when I visited a friend in Welwyn Garden City a few years ago I was impressed with the town.

It has been great seeing what SallySimmonds has said about England lately and although I would never have wanted to have lived in the north London area, it will be a good base for exploring from.

All things considered it is good to have a new direction.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torteval
Thank you English Mum.

I know that when I visited a friend in Welwyn Garden City a few years ago I was impressed with the town.

It has been great seeing what SallySimmonds has said about England lately and although I would never have wanted to have lived in the north London area, it will be a good base for exploring from.

All things considered it is good to have a new direction.
Good luck with the move back! It's a wonderful place to be although I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Watford area so can't be any help there.

Absolutely gorgeous day here today - blue sky, whispy clouds, pleasant temperatures - and I'm looking forward to heading into Bradford tonight to meet my old friends for a proper curry. My mouth is watering already and it's only 7.30 am!

Very excited for the Olympic opening ceremony although I'll have to Tivo it. It sounds like it's be lots of fun and make us all proud to be British
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Good luck with the move back! It's a wonderful place to be although I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Watford area so can't be any help there.

Absolutely gorgeous day here today - blue sky, whispy clouds, pleasant temperatures - and I'm looking forward to heading into Bradford tonight to meet my old friends for a proper curry. My mouth is watering already and it's only 7.30 am!

Very excited for the Olympic opening ceremony although I'll have to Tivo it. It sounds like it's be lots of fun and make us all proud to be British
Enjoy yourself with your friends Sally, you havent been back home for very long really and your already into the favorite English dish ------ Curry!!!!
Ive often wondered when this Curry epidemic hit England? when I left in the 70,s it was bangers & mash, shepards pie, and the favorite take away was fish & chips, or faggots & peas from the faggot shop,I too have curry once a week ------ it comes from Iceland in a box and it costs one british pound, its called (chicken curry and rice) big chunks of chicken, very tasty and very filling, 10 minutes in the Microwave, Lovely Jubely!!!!
Rodney.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Enjoy yourself with your friends Sally, you havent been back home for very long really and your already into the favorite English dish ------ Curry!!!!
Ive often wondered when this Curry epidemic hit England? when I left in the 70,s it was bangers & mash, shepards pie, and the favorite take away was fish & chips, or faggots & peas from the faggot shop,I too have curry once a week ------ it comes from Iceland in a box and it costs one british pound, its called (chicken curry and rice) big chunks of chicken, very tasty and very filling, 10 minutes in the Microwave, Lovely Jubely!!!!
Rodney.
Curry seemed to be the big end to a good night out when I was a teen in the early 80's Yumm. One of the things I miss.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney.
When I left in 1955 it was all "Whimpy's" hamburgers, I think!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Rodney.
Hi Rodney - Thanks to you all for the kind Birthday wishes. (I was 22 - not bad for shopping, and getting around)(. Just sourced a larger Electronic Organ (a Lowrey). So I am all excited about that, to come. Take care All - Don
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Rodney - Thanks to you all for the kind Birthday wishes. (I was 22 - not bad for shopping, and getting around)(. Just sourced a larger Electronic Organ (a Lowrey). So I am all excited about that, to come. Take care All - Don
Hey Don that organ you have now in the dining room is pretty darn big, and you played it very well when I was there, so tell me if you buy this larger one will they take the one you have now and give you a discount? just curious,
Rodney.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
When I left in 1955 it was all "Whimpy's" hamburgers, I think!
When I left in 1974 there was only one dine in Indian restaurant in Portsmouth, and no take away places, now there are loads of Indian take away places ----- like dozens of em!!!
I guess the popularity of curry dishes here in UK is like much the same as we in America like Chinese dishes, or Mexican,
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:07 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

When I left in 1974 there was only one dine in Indian restaurant in Portsmouth, and no take away places, now there are loads of Indian take away places ----- like dozens of em!!!
I guess the popularity of curry dishes here in UK is like much the same as we in America like Chinese dishes, or Mexican,
Exactly! Chinese food is allmost the American national dish, a second choice right behind a tasty burger with fries.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hey Don that organ you have now in the dining room is pretty darn big, and you played it very well when I was there, so tell me if you buy this larger one will they take the one you have now and give you a discount? just curious,
Rodney.
More than that, Rod - I struck a good deal, then needed to get some more off - so I mentioned to the manager I had loads of those Pens, I used to create in Thailand.
And he has - offered me £500 for the lot - so they are getting shipped too, in the deal in a couple of weeks time.
It is the Lowrey Sensation Special edition - and was very expensive a few years ago. (It was on Sale on the web site two days ago at £11,000) - It is in Spanish Oak. Don
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
More than that, Rod - I struck a good deal, then needed to get some more off - so I mentioned to the manager I had loads of those Pens, I used to create in Thailand.
And he has - offered me £500 for the lot - so they are getting shipped too, in the deal in a couple of weeks time.
It is the Lowrey Sensation Special edition - and was very expensive a few years ago. (It was on Sale on the web site two days ago at £11,000) - It is in Spanish Oak. Don
I don't know a lot about organs but I recognize that name so I'm wondering if it was made in the US before everything was made in China?
I can hear you playing now "We All Like to be by the Seaside....."
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't know a lot about organs but I recognize that name so I'm wondering if it was made in the US before everything was made in China?
I can hear you playing now "We All Like to be by the Seaside....."
Yes - you are correct- It was created in Illinious (spelling?) only two years ago, and the originator was Frederick, C. Lowrey - but this particular model was made especially for the UK market, and has extras on it - Mantovani and Glen Miller etc., 'sounds' and is powered with UK electric of 230 volts. I know it weighs 550 lbs.- And is too wide to pass through some doorways, so has to be dismantled! - At the moment, just going to try playing The last Waltz. Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.