Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Editha
Reading this thread, I see a lot of people seem to come back on the cruise ship. Is it just for the experience, or is there another advantage?
We did it when we moved back from the US in summer 2008. We had a few reasons (including for the experience) -
  • when we were planning our trip back it was around the time of the disruption to flights because of the volcano and we didn't want to be affected by that.
  • we thought we would be less tired when we arrived back in the uk and knew we had lots to do when we got here.
  • we would arrive in Southampton which is nearer to where we live than Heathrow so much more convenient for us.
  • less restriction on luggage we could bring with us.
  • we made it our vacation for that year we took a week to drive up from Texas to New York, then sailed home.
  • It was a bit of a once in a lifetime opportunity for us - we were lucky in that my husband's employer would have paid for one way business class flights home and the equivalent money was enough to get us a good grade suite on the Queen Mary. We would never ordinarily have been able to afford that ourselves.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

$795 plus $40 tax

http://www.cunard.com/Special-Offers...er-1/#crossing

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:13 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Editha
Reading this thread, I see a lot of people seem to come back on the cruise ship. Is it just for the experience, or is there another advantage?
We're similar to Rebs. We planned to just fly home, but Cunard had a great sale and we discovered the price for 2 balcony staterooms was pretty similar to one way air fares. We figured it would be a once-in-a-lifetime event and would be a fitting and memorable way to end our time in the US. The ability to bring more luggage is also a plus, as is the avoidance of Heathrow.

We would never have thought of going by sea if I had not read about it here on BE
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Thats amazing isn't it and it includes 7 days of food and fun! If I added a flight from CA (about $220 each on way on Jet blue) and one night in a hotel in New York it would be about the same as a flight from SFO to MAN
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

and the price of air on BA.....$795 I think round trip. (apples and Oranges)
Las Vegas to LHR in October

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...cys&source=cys
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Not sure if this link will still work but this was the original e-mail offer I received from Cunard with the special promotion for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on the QM2 and posted here on BE....and I'm glad I did post it LOL as a few of us on BE booked crossings!:

http://content.cunard.com/cunard/?3e...g3mM2ebtvAfHW3

PS: Another reason to return via the QM2 is that it has kennels for dogs and cats, which some people prefer to sending their pets by air cargo. I did see a few dogs onboard (will write more on that later) and they were being spoilt rotten!

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 24th 2012 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats amazing isn't it and it includes 7 days of food and fun! If I added a flight from CA (about $220 each on way on Jet blue) and one night in a hotel in New York it would be about the same as a flight from SFO to MAN

So are you thinking of returning to England on the QM2, Mummy?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It's the possibility of taking the cats that way that interests me. But I'm not sure it would be better. They'd still have to go on a flight from Edmonton to NY, then it would be stressful for them on the ship; not as stressful as flying, but for longer.

So, I"m not sure. But the special offers are impressive.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
So are you thinking of returning to England on the QM2, Mummy?
I am, but it all depends of the timing of everything. But it is on my radar.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I am, but it all depends of the timing of everything. But it is on my radar.
You are all very fortunate.....having to take my litte guys to Belfast would mean the cruise and then a boat trip to Northern Ireland as the powers that be do not permit animals to fly there. The Brits who show dogs in Northern Ireland have to drive to the ferry. I know this for sure as I judged there this past April. Most exhibitors were from GB and had to bring their cars and dogs across on the Stranraer/Larne ferry. l have once shipped a dog to Belfast, but flew to NYC in order for him to have a shorter trip.......6 hours from NYC to Belfast (Continental) all by himself in the air conditioned/heated hold. Tiarnan was great upon arrival and next year became # Longcoat Chihuahua in the UK :-) he is nowadays healthy and loved nine year old stud dog.
I am scared to do this again when I leave. Does anyone know if two tinies can share a crate if they are litter buddies?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
You are all very fortunate.....having to take my litte guys to Belfast would mean the cruise and then a boat trip to Northern Ireland as the powers that be do not permit animals to fly there. The Brits who show dogs in Northern Ireland have to drive to the ferry. I know this for sure as I judged there this past April. Most exhibitors were from GB and had to bring their cars and dogs across on the Stranraer/Larne ferry. l have once shipped a dog to Belfast, but flew to NYC in order for him to have a shorter trip.......6 hours from NYC to Belfast (Continental) all by himself in the air conditioned/heated hold. Tiarnan was great upon arrival and next year became # Longcoat Chihuahua in the UK :-) he is nowadays healthy and loved nine year old stud dog.
I am scared to do this again when I leave. Does anyone know if two tinies can share a crate if they are litter buddies?
I think it was on someones blog about their two small dogs being in crates/cages next to each other and the kennel master? removed the panel between them so they could be together.

Here it is. Click and read the whole thing, with pictures.
The kennel walls can be opened so a dog larger than 55 pounds can fit into two large kennels or, as in our case, Chewy and Abby were able to share the same larger kennel space
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:41 am
Just Joined

torteval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

I first joined the forum when I was waiting for a visa 7 years ago to come to the US. Now after 5 years over here I am being transferred by my company back to the UK. House is up for sale but no takers and I shall probably have to go home earlier than my husband. Life over here has been no picnic with job losses for my husband and then the only job he could get is in another state. I do earn good money but still not enough to cover alimony!

Someone on here said they felt as if they lost their personality when they moved away from home and that is how I feel.

Looking forward to being nearer my family, kids, grandkids in the Uk.

Thanks for providing hope to this lurker.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torteval
Hello everyone

I first joined the forum when I was waiting for a visa 7 years ago to come to the US. Now after 5 years over here I am being transferred by my company back to the UK. House is up for sale but no takers and I shall probably have to go home earlier than my husband. Life over here has been no picnic with job losses for my husband and then the only job he could get is in another state. I do earn good money but still not enough to cover alimony!

Someone on here said they felt as if they lost their personality when they moved away from home and that is how I feel.

I think most of us change when moving to a different country, I know I changed and in some ways for the better, but still part of the old me seems left behind, Humour really changed in my life, the lack of it ...

I think your positive attitude will help you, they say you can never go back but still you've not been gone long so I think you will do well...

Sorry I got lost on your alimony statement.

Good Luck to you.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by torteval
Hello everyone

Little bit confused on your post.
Your avatar says you are living in France and then you make reference to living in another state, so what gives?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

torteval is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, I forgot totally that I originally started lurking when I was in France between the UK and the US.

Am in Alabama, moved here to be with new husband (who has lots of expensive baggage from former marriage).

Now we are moving back to the UK and just counting down to mid September when I shall probably have to start work in Watford.

Rodney, I shall be moving temporarily to live with my mother near Portsmouth and commuting a couple of days a week.

Bringing cats and some 'stuff' but leaving most things here. Husband will leave his job in a neighbouring state when the house in Alabama sells and join me in the south somewhere.

Anyone with good advice about an area to live that would allow me to get to Watford but is not too expensive?

Amazing how confusing your life can get in 5 years.

Cheers, does that make more sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.