Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 30th 2012, 10:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jemima55
Hi all, I`ve posted elsewhere and had some lovely replies, but Claire, my sister, passed away peacefully on Monday evening.
My husband is here with me and being a great support. (Expat thing) It`s hard not to have your own home to disappear to at the end of the day, but we`re going to the Suffolk coast tomorrow to unwind a bit. It`s been intense!
hugs to you, that is very sad.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I`ve posted elsewhere and had some lovely replies, but Claire, my sister, passed away peacefully on Monday evening.
My husband is here with me and being a great support. (Expat thing) It`s hard not to have your own home to disappear to at the end of the day, but we`re going to the Suffolk coast tomorrow to unwind a bit. It`s been intense!
I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. Glad you got to spend sometime with her at the end. Take care of yourself.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Jemima,
So sorry to hear of your loss, thank goodness you were able to come home and spend a little time with Clair, its so sad and I know exactly what your going through right now,
Ive been home almost 18 months now, but when I arrived my Sister was dying of terminal cancer, she died less then three months after I came home,
The thing that I will always be thankful for is I was able to spend a little time with her before she passed on.
Take care of yourself,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; May 31st 2012 at 12:00 am.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry about your loss, my heart goes out to you. Glad you were home with her. Have a peaceful time in Suffolk.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to you all. Sorry, Rodney you had a similar experience. It`s so nice to get the comfort and support although most of us will probably never meet, its nice to get the messages!
Old May 31st 2012, 8:31 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Jemima, I'm so sorry to hear the news, but glad that at least it was peaceful and that you were able to be there. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you grieve.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

aliblu4191 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
I really think your right Tina, speaking for myself when I went to live in America when I was a young man of 29 and I got into my life with my career and life in general and living the American life to the full, I never had a thought for the English countryside and when I was younger I really never was into culture, actually I didn't ever miss all this till I decided to come home all those years later when I was in my 60's,
Life seems to change when we get older, we change,
and then I made the decision to come home for good, and in that last two years before leaving I could think of little else but my new life in England, and then I remembered all the things that I just took for granted,
But when I came home and as the months go by you realise how much you really did miss all that the U.K. has,
But in U.S. life was always so busy and you just get caught up in your life, and I didn't think of England really anymore cause now I had a new life in America, and I didn't have a single Brit friend ever in the U.S. they were all American, and I think that makes a lot of difference in the way you live there,
Rodney.
I am still working here in Texas but I am so ready to go home to the UK. I have been here for over 30 years I miss the British countryside and my remaining family. I have to say though, the task of moving back seems a bit daunting.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Please accept my sincerest condolences.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:26 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliblu4191
I am still working here in Texas but I am so ready to go home to the UK. I have been here for over 30 years I miss the British countryside and my remaining family. I have to say though, the task of moving back seems a bit daunting.
Hi Aliblu

I agree, I so miss the countryside, architecture and sense of humour and all being well, I'll be back home in July. It is a daunting task, but I have found this forum to be a great help. I realized a few years ago that I was living on the wrong continent and in the last two years have been preparing for a move back to the UK. I must admit, as I knew I wasn't leaving until this year I put some tasks off, that is par for the course for me. I need a deadline.

Have you decided to move back or are you at the contemplation stage? If you have decided to go back have you set a date? A lot of us on here have been planning their moves for sometime and we are all at different stages.

Do you have any specific questions that you would like answered. I don't want to bore you with a long essay that may be of no use to you.

Hope you will enjoy the forum
Old May 31st 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lf1
Hi Aliblu

I agree, I so miss the countryside, architecture and sense of humour and all being well, I'll be back home in July. It is a daunting task, but I have found this forum to be a great help. I realized a few years ago that I was living on the wrong continent and in the last two years have been preparing for a move back to the UK. I must admit, as I knew I wasn't leaving until this year I put some tasks off, that is par for the course for me. I need a deadline.

Have you decided to move back or are you at the contemplation stage? If you have decided to go back have you set a date? A lot of us on here have been planning their moves for sometime and we are all at different stages.

Do you have any specific questions that you would like answered. I don't want to bore you with a long essay that may be of no use to you.

Hope you will enjoy the forum
Thanks I do have some questions. are you going back to retire? and if so did you pay national insurance stamps all the years that you have been gone?
I am planning to go back for sure and I wish it could be sooner than later
but I have a lot of research and planning still to do.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I do have some questions. are you going back to retire? and if so did you pay national insurance stamps all the years that you have been gone?
I am planning to go back for sure and I wish it could be sooner than later
but I have a lot of research and planning still to do.
We are hoping to semi-retire, perhaps do some part time work. I haven't been paying my NI stamps until about 3 years ago. I got a pension forecast and now I pay the stamp every year. I am including a link to HMRC in case you are interested in getting a forecast. I didn't have my NI number, but based on my employment history and UK address they were able to find my records.

If you worked in the UK before moving you should be eligible for at least a portion of the state pension and depending upon your age you may be able to make catch up payments, which I did.

Are you planning on retiring?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm#5
Old May 31st 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I also find it daunting at times, try to look at it as many smaller tasks or steps and it should be easier for you, anything is possible if the desire is there.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I am still paying my NI stamp, my OH stopped because he has more than enough years. I was allowed to back pay 6 years which was a smart move and now that we are thinking of going back I am glad I am still paying.
Old May 31st 2012, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lf1
We are hoping to semi-retire, perhaps do some part time work. I haven't been paying my NI stamps until about 3 years ago. I got a pension forecast and now I pay the stamp every year. I am including a link to HMRC in case you are interested in getting a forecast. I didn't have my NI number, but based on my employment history and UK address they were able to find my records.

If you worked in the UK before moving you should be eligible for at least a portion of the state pension and depending upon your age you may be able to make catch up payments, which I did.

Are you planning on retiring?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm#5
Thanks again. Like you I will most likely work part time. I love to cook so I may start a small cafe or something of the sort
Old May 31st 2012, 6:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Jemima, I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your sister, take some small comfort in knowing you spent some precious time with her. Thinking of you.

Barb xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.