Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 12th 2012, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Hi Almo! Sounds like you are working towards moving back. Join the club!
Old May 14th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
After de-lurking I've got back into hiding: I'm feeling a bit wobbly about the whole thing. I keep reading articles that frighten me about UK unemployment/economic prospects, some of the posts on the main Australia board worry me too and to cap it all the blinking Aussie dollar is weakening against the pound!

The biggest problem I have is that, to my shame, I don't understand enough about economics and politics to be able to evaluate a lot of what I'm reading properly.

Almo,
Forget about the economics and politics of making the move back home,
In my opinion if someone (REALLY AND TRULLY) in there heart want to come home for whatever there own reasons are, they will just come, just like we did when we emigrated to out chosen countries years ago, way back then speaking for myself I was young like most of us were, and there were no computers yet to research anything, the library was where you had to go and for me I hate reading too much, so my opportunity came and off I went to my chosen new world,
I know when we get older we tend to be more careful and take longer to decide to do the big things in life but I think we all just need to go back to how we were ------ and just go for it!!!!!!!
Just to not think too much about it, worrying about this or that, thinking what if I dont? or what if I cant get a Job? or what happens if?
What we all need to realise is this big move is not carved in stone, if it dont work out we can always go back to our old life if we want, but at least in your heart you will know that you really gave it your best shot.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
After de-lurking I've got back into hiding: I'm feeling a bit wobbly about the whole thing. I keep reading articles that frighten me about UK unemployment/economic prospects, some of the posts on the main Australia board worry me too and to cap it all the blinking Aussie dollar is weakening against the pound!

The biggest problem I have is that, to my shame, I don't understand enough about economics and politics to be able to evaluate a lot of what I'm reading properly.

Anyway, we are going to a Sunday market in a couple of weeks to try and offload a whole lot of our junk, so that's one more step in the right direction.
Almo, when you moved abroad did you try to figure out the economics and politics of Oz?
Sure, the job market in UK is not over-flowing with vacancies - but jobs are advertised and people do find employment.
Just step-by-step does it. Most of us returnees have had the Colly-wobbles at some time about moving back, it's only natural to be apprehensive.
Old May 14th 2012, 12:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Jasper and JJsOH - fear is never a good reason to make a decision.

Yes, there are people saying negative things about the situation in the UK. But there are also lots of people saying positive things. In the end, you choose who you want to listen to - and if you're only hearing the negative, you have to ask yourself why.

If you want to come here, you will ignore all the chatter and get on with making a success of it. But if deep down you don't want to move, you will find all kinds of reasons why you can't do it. It really is that simple IMO.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I agree with Jasper and JJsOH - fear is never a good reason to make a decision.

Yes, there are people saying negative things about the situation in the UK. But there are also lots of people saying positive things. In the end, you choose who you want to listen to - and if you're only hearing the negative, you have to ask yourself why.

If you want to come here, you will ignore all the chatter and get on with making a success of it. But if deep down you don't want to move, you will find all kinds of reasons why you can't do it. It really is that simple IMO.
I couldn't agree more. This is precisely where I am. On the edge of a precipice just vacillating. Jasper's comments about doing it like when your are younger really resonate with me. Those fears and indecision really are amplified the older we get. Here goes......well not quite yet
Old May 14th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I couldn't agree more. This is precisely where I am. On the edge of a precipice just vacillating. Jasper's comments about doing it like when your are younger really resonate with me. Those fears and indecision really are amplified the older we get. Here goes......well not quite yet
Well I havent seen you before, a great big Welcome to our thread, have you been lurking for long?
What country do you live in? and for how long?
Why dont you just tell us a few things about yourself, you will be surprised at the help and comfort and wisdom you will receive, step into our world,
Whats YOUR dream, everyone has a dream!!!!!
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

ehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant futureehl250 has a brilliant future

what's happened to Aries -wasn't she waiting for the results of a radon test on the property she was looking at?
Old May 16th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well I havent seen you before, a great big Welcome to our thread, have you been lurking for long?
What country do you live in? and for how long?
Why dont you just tell us a few things about yourself, you will be surprised at the help and comfort and wisdom you will receive, step into our world,
Whats YOUR dream, everyone has a dream!!!!!
Rodney.
Thanks. Lurking for more time than I care to remember, about 3 years now. I am currently in So. CA - been in the US over 15 years.

One dream is to be able to walk daily in the North Yorkshire moors. Whenever I get back I try to walk at least once Roseberry Topping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseberry_Topping

Nothing finer, rain, wind, snow or sunshine
Old May 18th 2012, 8:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

YIKES!! We are one step closer to moving back! Our house has just been sold. Closing date is 19th July. Time to break out the bubbly
Old May 18th 2012, 8:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally

We have sold our house, but we won't be back in time for the Crime Writers Festival, so I am relying on you for a full report of events. LOL
Old May 18th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your house sale in Calgary!
Seems like homes are selling right now (election year in the US)
Where in the Scottish borders are you moving to?

Cheers
Old May 18th 2012, 9:32 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Cheers. We are moving to a wee village near Kelso. Close to the english border. That will be handy if my other half steps out of line as I won't have far to go to return him to his native land - England.

This week has been a whirlwind and I am having a hard time thinking straight. A wee glass of wine should sort that out. Now we need to plan our trip home, but as our closing date (19 July) is close to the start of the Olympic Games, I am not sure what route we will end up taking.
Old May 18th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Thanks Cheers. We are moving to a wee village near Kelso. Close to the english border. That will be handy if my other half steps out of line as I won't have far to go to return him to his native land - England.

This week has been a whirlwind and I am having a hard time thinking straight. A wee glass of wine should sort that out. Now we need to plan our trip home, but as our closing date (19 July) is close to the start of the Olympic Games, I am not sure what route we will end up taking.
Thinking that flights into the UK may be over booked I think of flying by way of Reykjavik, Iceland into the UK. I think they fly into Scotland.

Do you have the house picked out?
Old May 18th 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

cazzy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently came back to the Uk with my car, i originally bought this car in the Uk, shipped it to a EU country almost 3 years ago and have now brought it back. The DVLA are insisting that I get it insured again before I re register it here and the insurance premiums quoted are horrendously expensive if you do not have a registration number(latest quote £3,700). The DVLA insist that you use the chassis number to insure it and not the previous registration number you had before exporting the car. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get around it? thanks would be grateful for any help!
Old May 19th 2012, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cazzy12
I have recently came back to the Uk with my car, i originally bought this car in the Uk, shipped it to a EU country almost 3 years ago and have now brought it back. The DVLA are insisting that I get it insured again before I re register it here and the insurance premiums quoted are horrendously expensive if you do not have a registration number(latest quote £3,700). The DVLA insist that you use the chassis number to insure it and not the previous registration number you had before exporting the car. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get around it? thanks would be grateful for any help!
From what I have read it pays to shop around for insurance in the UK as the rates can vary a great deal.
There is another forum on here that maybe more helpful for you and its called Taking a Mazda3 back to the UK.
Good Luck
Cheers

Last edited by cheers; May 19th 2012 at 1:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.