Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:06 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Now you say what else bugs me, ---- well this really doesn't bug (ME) as such but would if I had a car, first all the side streets are so narrow and most terraced houses are without a garage so they have to park there car on the street outside there house, ---- the result is that on both sides of the street you have back to back cars parked, so when you drive down the street you most always meet another car coming in the opposite direction ---- so someone has to give and pull over to the side so the other car can get through the street, and he just makes it passed you without scratching your paint work ---- they have that down to I fine art over here, ----- that would be very hard for me to get used to if I were driving....

Rodders, it's exactly the same way around here and is probably the biggest challenge I am facing with regard to driving. I have the worst sense of depth-perception of any woman alive.

When we're in the car going somewhere and Tony is driving, I've learned that it's impossible to "chat" or carry on a conversation. It takes total concentration. Let your guard down for 5 seconds and you're talking major disaster.

It truly does make getting from Point A to Point B a pain in the neck.

But - similar to what you said about your mum - my 72-year old mother-in-love seems to take it all in stride so I just keep telling myself that if she can do it, I can do it.

I think.

Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:17 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by formula
Never let a good moan get in the way of facts......illegals, failed asylum seekers, those here on a working visa but not working, are not allowed free NHS (unless those on a working visa have been in the UK legally for more than a year).

The case of failed asylum seekers and free NHS was tested in court and the government won. The judgement from the CA (Court of Appeal) found:-

The CA have found that failed asylum seekers cannot be said to be ordinarily resident in the UK, since their stay here is not 'ordinary'. The CA also found that failed asylum seekers cannot be considered exempt from charges by having resided lawfully in the UK for one year prior to treatment since they do not have the necessary ‘leave to enter’ in order to reside lawfully in the UK.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/.../dh_097385.pdf
The fact remains that they do receive treatment: A&E, falsified documents, etc.

But thank you for the citation. It's good to know what the law is - even if it's usually broken.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Not so good Jackie. Pneumonia for 3 weeks but well on the road to recovery
Life is difficult.....it is hard for me to open up.
However I am sooooo very happy or you. I hope you stay in touch here.
Oh no I really hope you are feeling better, pneumonia can be so depressing, it feels like it's never ending, keep your chin up darlin'
J

I may disappear for a bit and be a lurker again. Overwhelming burdens of my stupid mistakes and fear of the future (67 next week) sometimes paralyze me both mentally and physically.
Don't do that, forget the past, look to the future, we've all made mistakes. don't let them make you fear making choices and hoping for better times ahead, you have to have some hope and faith in life ((((hugs))) and love.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Rodders, it's exactly the same way around here and is probably the biggest challenge I am facing with regard to driving. I have the worst sense of depth-perception of any woman alive.

When we're in the car going somewhere and Tony is driving, I've learned that it's impossible to "chat" or carry on a conversation. It takes total concentration. Let your guard down for 5 seconds and you're talking major disaster.

But - similar to what you said about your mum - my 72-year old mother-in-love seems to take it all in stride so I just keep telling myself that if she can do it, I can do it.

I think.

DDL, That is exactly how I feel. I drive all the time here but its been 30 years since I've driven in those little country lanes of the west country; and the motorway, I can't even think about it, its so scary When we were there in September, my DH drove all the time, bless him, with no problems, but I'm going to have to do it, there's no other choice. One thing I will do, for sure, is buy an automatic, that way, at least I won't have to think about changing gear, handbrake etc.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod, have you bought any rain wear at all?

The impression I get from Frome is that its been raining there for about 10 days straight.

UK, a land of micro climates

Love your posts Rod!
Cheers, have you not seen on the news about the terrible rain in Australia and the floods and devastation caused? Lives lost, homes swept away, people losing everything.

Haven't they shown that on US TV?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

The climate is very gentle in the UK compared to countries like Australia.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Rodders, it's exactly the same way around here and is probably the biggest challenge I am facing with regard to driving. I have theworst sense of depth-perception of any woman alive.

I think.

Denise, I came over here 25 years ago in 1986, I stayed with my Mum & Dad for a year, then went back to US, --- I got a Job with a seat belt manufacturer in Chichester, I worked night shift, So I bought a car, just a nice little runabout green car it was, used, it cost about £350 I think, anyway It took me a while to get used to the roads --- especially the little narrow side streets ---- you know being used to the wide multi lane roads in America --- you get really spoiled driving in US not just the wide roads but all parking is free and plentiful everywhere really you go like supermarkets and any Mall or even your favorite little bakery shop or hairdressers, or dry cleaners, always lots of parking,
So thats the big thing to get used to here in UK when your driving, hard to find parking spaces and when you do sometimes you got to pay for it, narrow streets and very heavy traffic,

But anyway this is how I see it, in US you really have to have a car, every city you live is really spread out, big distances to drive just on a daily basis, and in Vegas anyway the bus system really sucked, so it was a pleasure to drive my car in Vegas, so easy and stress free --- and you can carry on a nice conversation with your passengers too ---- of if your like me have a nice chat to yourself as your driving along

Now in UK wherever you live really you (CAN) manage without a car, cause public transport is quite reliable and frequent, bus/train/tube, --- kind of costly though if you have to take a bus to and from work, and tiring if its a long way, I remember Ed/pegie in Scotland when she was going through her first or was it her second Job, her Job was quite a long way from her flat and I think her commute was about 2 hours each way by bus --- but if she had a car she could have got home at a nice reasonable hour instead of being tired and arriving home late,
So circumstances play a big part I think on whether you need a car or not in UK its more needed if you are married rather then if you are like me --- happy and single and of course retired too so that makes it more less complicated for me --- you know no particular place to go like work and to be there by a certain time, take my time, no hurry, no worry, no money,

So Denise, your MIL takes driving in her stride, it aint no big deal for her ---- just like my Mum --- no big deal for her either cause shes used to it and has not known anything else, I got used to driving over there my self in 1986 but trouble is by the time I got used to driving these British streets it was time to go back to America ----- so you will get used to it --- just give yourself a little more time and soon you will be like my Mum holding quite a nice iintelligent conversation while driving in the heavy traffic,
Take care,
Rodney.
Its pouring down with rain now, oh how lovely is that, --- I love it !!

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 13th 2011 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

cheers I just know you will love it over here, I suppose it does help you know if you are British home grown so to speak, I mean of course we all have to get used to a whole new way of life really after decades away, but the change is a good one, politics and all aside, Im sold on my England, and thats just after what is it ----- 6 weeks now back home, a lot of people reading this back in US/Auss/Canada/Thailand or wherever will be saying Hmmmm I wonder how he will feel in say a year from now? ---- well I dont know really but I think the same or maybe even more positive about life here then I am now,
This is the start of a brand new journey for me and for us all when it happens, ----- all I can say is so far the way I feel is that there is no other place that I would rather be at my age now,
In Just this short time here I can say with compleat certainty that I love being home, and guess what my stress level is definitely getting less, in the States there were so many worries, and everyday stress for me at least was incredible,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS so there !!!!!!
GREAT posts Rodney and your positivity reminds me of how Anna used to pop in like a blast of sunshine.

One thing about the narrow streets and no garages, don't forget you are now living in a very OLD country, and those streets were probably built before cars were invented. They probably only had to worry about penny farthings then.

p.s. Your mum got some great bargains in the sales, oh I do love the sales in the UK, so much better than the sales in Oz.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

I read this on another forum. What do you think?
A young male Brit wants to relocate to the US and he has no idea what he is in for. Maybe he is like us 50 years ago. Maybe he is foot loose and fancy free.
One of the first thing he faces is he can't legally live in the US (thank you Mr President John Kennedy)

Take a look. Again maybe we were that nieve and adventurous years ago. I was a little annoyed when I read it that someone would be so immature.
Quote:
OK so from my User name, you properly guessed I'm not American but here me out.....pretty please. And from the Topic name, which is tied to "The grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence" is why I am here.

I am fed up of this country and many of the people, I have decided that maybe, a new start is in order, or just a few years living else where, and by else where I don't mean over the road or "oop Norf", relating back to my grass always greener comment, my fence is the Atlantic Ocean.

Now in England, we have a common redundancy when it comes to knowing anything about anything that is not England or English related (not everyone mind you, I am very open minded but the majority are not) so I thought it was best to ask a Yankee born and bread for the help I need (I hope Yankee is not derogatory in any way, if so I do apologize). So I asked my questions to a bunch of places over here and well sod all helped.

What I would like to do is:

Move to America, No Idea where, preferably somewhere welcoming and yet not welcoming so I get the feeling of not being at my normal home and yet i don't get lynched. Somewhere big, like washington or new york, but this lead to more problems.

How do I find a job before going, how do I find somewhere to live before going, how do I get a Visa to work when I could get one but not find a job thus waisting my time and money getting a visa.......
Yep that is how most of us started out!! Gung ho and looking for adventure!! I know I thought it was a great big adventure emigrating to Australia and we didn't have a clue. At least he has the Internet and won't go into it blindly as we did.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 13th 2011 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yep that is how most of us started out!! Gung ho and looking for adventure!! I know I thought it was a great big adventure emigrating to Australia and we didn't have a clue. At least he has the Internet and won't go into it blindly as we did.
Thats it Barb ----= they have the internet these days and they can get all the info about a country as they like, we were all Gung Ho and looking for adventure and a better life, thats how I was when I was 19 and emigrated to Australia, ---- thats how it started for me, then on to Canada to live, then last 33 years in USA,
And now back where I started ---- lucky me !!!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.
Its pouring down with rain now, oh how lovely is that, --- I love it !!
Shush, don't say that to r Barbara or she'll hit you over the ed with a rolling pin.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Shush, don't say that to r Barbara or she'll hit you over the ed with a rolling pin.
No I quite like that gentle English rain and the mild summers. It's not a harsh climate like Australia. Mind you that bad storm just as I left the Lake District was not good at all.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie.......today is all about you.
Let's not make other issues get in the way
I will watch your journey to the UK with the greatest delight. You have so earned all of it.

I may disappear for a bit and be a lurker again. Overwhelming burdens of my stupid mistakes and fear of the future (67 next week) sometimes paralyze me both mentally and physically.
Awwwww, I am so sorry Celtic, keep your chin up, miracles do happen..
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:58 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

you know being used to the wide multi lane roads in America --- you get really spoiled driving in US not just the wide roads but all parking is free and plentiful everywhere really you go like supermarkets and any Mall or even your favorite little bakery shop or hairdressers, or dry cleaners, always lots of parking,
Living where I do, this made me chuckle. I can't remember the last time I went out in the car and didn't wind up cursing someone under my breath - or the last time I was able to say parking was plentiful

Rodney. I'm so glad to hear that you're home, happy and enjoying your new life. And glad to hear the NHS is treating you well
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to thank eveyone for all your wonderful support. Throughout this entire ordeal, I came to this thread to lift my spirits, and get me through all of the stress. I cannot express in words what it has meant to me to escape into all of the conversation on here, and get my mind off of my problems.

Thank you everyone, it has meant more than you can know..
Jackie
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I read this on another forum. What do you think?
A young male Brit wants to relocate to the US and he has no idea what he is in for. Maybe he is like us 50 years ago. Maybe he is foot loose and fancy free.
One of the first thing he faces is he can't legally live in the US (thank you Mr President John Kennedy)

Take a look. Again maybe we were that nieve and adventurous years ago. I was a little annoyed when I read it that someone would be so immature.
Quote:
OK so from my User name, you properly guessed I'm not American but here me out.....pretty please. And from the Topic name, which is tied to "The grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence" is why I am here.

I am fed up of this country and many of the people, I have decided that maybe, a new start is in order, or just a few years living else where, and by else where I don't mean over the road or "oop Norf", relating back to my grass always greener comment, my fence is the Atlantic Ocean.

Now in England, we have a common redundancy when it comes to knowing anything about anything that is not England or English related (not everyone mind you, I am very open minded but the majority are not) so I thought it was best to ask a Yankee born and bread for the help I need (I hope Yankee is not derogatory in any way, if so I do apologize). So I asked my questions to a bunch of places over here and well sod all helped.

What I would like to do is:

Move to America, No Idea where, preferably somewhere welcoming and yet not welcoming so I get the feeling of not being at my normal home and yet i don't get lynched. Somewhere big, like washington or new york, but this lead to more problems.

How do I find a job before going, how do I find somewhere to live before going, how do I get a Visa to work when I could get one but not find a job thus waisting my time and money getting a visa.......
If it's on the US Forum, don't worry, they'll sort him out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.