Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh no Rodney your making me nervous.
We don't want to keep a US bank open. Someone told me (no idea if it's true) if we have a CA bank account, that we have to file state taxes as well as federal. I have to look into that.
As for utility bills, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how long it takes them to get a bill out so we can pay before leaving. OMG it gets worse, I'll be waking with cold sweats next.
When I sold my condo and went travelling, I just gave my friend's address as the forwarding address for final bills and left her the money to pay them. Not a big problem . You can probably get final, or close to final, amounts over the phone before you go.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
about $10 per gallon in these here neck of the woods,
Thank goodness I have a free bus pass
I always think that in England you don't drive as many miles as we do so it may balance out. A general statement I know.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I always think that in England you don't drive as many miles as we do so it may balance out. A general statement I know.
I think that is so true.
My mom was worried about a used car she was buying, she said "I don't know it's 5 years old and has 50,000 miles" Mine had more than double that by 5 years
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is so true.
My mom was worried about a used car she was buying, she said "I don't know it's 5 years old and has 50,000 miles" Mine had more than double that by 5 years
My Mums car is 14 years old and she still has only 42,000 miles on the clock my car in Vegas that I sold just before coming home was 6 years old and had the same milage as my Mums car does.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Update- Its now five days and they still havent put a "Coming soon" board up outside our house. The boards were delivered yesterday, but we have to wait for another guy to come and hammer them in! Keeps employment up I suppose. I spent yesterday clearing out the basement. What a job!
I need to be more ruthless about what we`re not taking back.
Getting a quote for the outside of the house today, power washing the guk off the gutters and putting down mulch. I`m drawing the line somewhere at how much heavy work I`m prepared to do.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney comes from a no personal income tax state (Nevada)
Can't speak for you but my gas bill comes out promptly, same day.
Yes cheers your right the State Im from NEVADA does not have State income Tax,
so people in that State and quite a few more States do not pay any State Tax on there income, ----- only Federal Income tax is paid from there income, plus medicare and S/S deductions like everyone else,
Of course we have the Sales Tax on everything you buy except food like everyone else.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no Rodney your making me nervous.
We don't want to keep a US bank open. Someone told me (no idea if it's true) if we have a CA bank account, that we have to file state taxes as well as federal. I have to look into that.
As for utility bills, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how long it takes them to get a bill out so we can pay before leaving. OMG it gets worse, I'll be waking with cold sweats next.
Keeping a US bank account in North Carolina hasn't been a problem for us re: State Residency and Tax.

It is one of the things that NC could use if considering if we were still NC resident or not, but having sold our house, sold cars and returned the plates, de-listed from the voting register, returned driving licenses and cut every connection we could think of apart from the Bank Account they had no concerns that I was not going to be a resident when I called and asked.

Keeping the bank account has been useful for $$ to pay / deposit Fed tax and maybe in the future for passing through proceeds from investments I still have over there and don't want to sell yet
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding our conversation about Internet speeds in the UK, I found this handy map showing the speeds that can be achieved.

Green means over 16MB downloads, yellow means between 4MB and 16MB and red means forget about trying to do anything online without a lot of stress and frustration. No color at all means no Internet access. More of the map will turn green over the next few years as BT rolls out Infinity, but many of the red spots (and the 'no spots') will stay as they are.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Great stuff - I shall use that explanation for people in the future!

For youtube links you can also copy and paste into the box you get from clicking little icon that looks like a film reel (next to the envelope) - that embeds the you tube video into the post rather than just linking it
I think to embed YouTube links you have to hit the quote tab...if you use the quick reply tab it doesn't embed.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Regarding our conversation about Internet speeds in the UK, I found this handy map showing the speeds that can be achieved.

Green means over 16MB downloads, yellow means between 4MB and 16MB and red means forget about trying to do anything online without a lot of stress and frustration. No color at all means no Internet access. More of the map will turn green over the next few years as BT rolls out Infinity, but many of the red spots (and the 'no spots') will stay as they are.
Not sure that is correct as it has a red spot right over me and blanks all round and I have no problems with the downloading from or accessing the internet!! And a few of those red dots are in the middle of fields with no houses anywhere close!!!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Not sure that is correct as it has a red spot right over me and blanks all round and I have no problems with the downloading from or accessing the internet!! And a few of those red dots are in the middle of fields with no houses anywhere close!!!
Yes, the red dots are not meant to be houses necessarily. I don't think it's precise in terms of where the blobs fall, but I've found it generally to be a very good guideline in terms of locations that are out for me (i.e almost all of Cumbria and the Yorkshire Dales). To get more specific, you can put a postcode into this site http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ and you can see both what services are sold, and what the actual speeds received are. For example, I was looking at a house today that has access to 24MB services, but it actually gets 2MB I've found USwitch to be pretty accurate although it does sometimes under-estimate for specific houses (for example, the street may usually only get 2MB but certain houses may get a little more).

For non-cable broadband speed is also dictated by how many other people are using the service at the same time, so speeds can be faster at non-peak periods and these sites can't pick up all those fluctuations.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 24th 2012 at 8:12 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sally, I have had BT Broadband since Ive been home, I phoned up BT today and they said that BT Infinity fiber optic service comes to my area next month march 31 and they said I can upgrade to that and the monthly cost will be exactly the same as Im paying now £18 per month, with up to
40 MB download speed, RIGHT NOW I ONLY GET 4 MB download speed and I get more crashes then Ive ever had in my life with this regular BT broadband, ------ the only reason I stayed with them all this time is Im under a 18 month contract,
Anyway they told me today that I will not have to go into another 18 month contract when I upgrade to Infinity its Just an upgrade, so Im happy about that, Ohhh there is a one time fee of £25 that they charge for an engineer to come around to the house and set everything up, that includes the new modem that is needed with the new infinity, so thats not bad Huh.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That was interesting the whole village where mum is was red, then I scroll in and there are lots of yellow dots (on houses I assume) I know when we visited she had fast enough internet, her dot was yellow and it was fast enough for Ds to watch movies online, but we did notice it was slower on weekends and after about 6pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:51 pm
Finally Home!

That was interesting the whole village where mum is was red, then I scroll in and there are lots of yellow dots (on houses I assume) I know when we visited she had fast enough internet, her dot was yellow and it was fast enough for Ds to watch movies online, but we did notice it was slower on weekends and after about 6pm.
As an example, 3MB would be fast enough for one person to watch a movie, but then if another person in the house tried to do something that also uses a lot of bandwidth, both would struggle.

Rodney, that's great! We only get 20MB here in New York so you will be rocking it once you switch to Infinity!
Old Feb 25th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

As an example, 3MB would be fast enough for one person to watch a movie, but then if another person in the house tried to do something that also uses a lot of bandwidth, both would struggle.

Rodney, that's great! We only get 20MB here in New York so you will be rocking it once you switch to Infinity!
Hi Sally,
As I said I only get 4mb now, actually its 3.7 mb to be precise, and its plenty to download a 2 hour movie and also watch it too, so what you say is right, but if there were two computers in the house like you say it would be hard for both people using at the same time,
I did ask BT yesterday about the crashes that I get now with the regular broadband, and they said that with the infinity I will get no more crashes or any slow downloads anymore, --------- I hope they are right Sally, if so I will be a happy camper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.