Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Don, I think you will be okay. You have the house back there. Have you ever thought of selling and buying a smaller one? You would have less expensive utilities for, say, three bedrooms, than four. I have forgotten how they classify the size of houses in the UK. I think it is by the number of total rooms. If you have four "bedrooms" that's a big house.
Windsong --Yes, we did check that out, but the houses are not selling unless you drop considerably, which I cannot see the point in doing, when I think of the only areas, where prices are so much lower, and they don't have the convenience, of being, 1) Near the Doctors,2) near a mini supermarket 3) near a Pharmacy 4) have a free bus to Tesco every morning at 10 am, and back at 12 5) Near to Pubs, and Filling Station 6) near the Hospital 7) near to the Dentist, 8) have nearby pools, and lovely walks 9) Have cycleways and 10) Regular bus route in walking distance. So it is no contest. dontheturner = Oh! and about 2 miles from my Daughter.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Windsong --Yes, we did check that out, but the houses are not selling unless you drop considerably, which I cannot see the point in doing, when I think of the only areas, where prices are so much lower, and they don't have the convenience, of being, 1) Near the Doctors,2) near a mini supermarket 3) near a Pharmacy 4) have a free bus to Tesco every morning at 10 am, and back at 12 5) Near to Pubs, and Filling Station 6) near the Hospital 7) near to the Dentist, 8) have nearby pools, and lovely walks 9) Have cycleways and 10) Regular bus route in walking distance. So it is no contest. dontheturner = Oh! and about 2 miles from my Daughter.
Sounds just perfect Don.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Sounds just perfect Don.
Hello Barb, it is really - and the biggest bonus of all, my house is down a cul-de-sac, so no through traffic, and the neighbours, are all friendly, though one does owe me £16. But then, it might not suit others, you are on the edge of beautiful countryside, and it is within 10 minutes of Wellington town, with its market, there is the Railway, with trains to Aberystwyth, and London via Wolverhampton and Birmingham Cities. Another bonus, is the local people, are very friendly. Take care, barb, dontheturner.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Barb, it is really - and the biggest bonus of all, my house is down a cul-de-sac, so no through traffic, and the neighbours, are all friendly, though one does owe me £16. But then, it might not suit others, you are on the edge of beautiful countryside, and it is within 10 minutes of Wellington town, with its market, there is the Railway, with trains to Aberystwyth, and London via Wolverhampton and Birmingham Cities. Another bonus, is the local people, are very friendly. Take care, barb, dontheturner.
Thanks Don, you and Tim take care too, you are one week ahead of me.....gulp......
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see what you mean, Don. It's perfect. Love that idea of a free bus to Tesco's every morning. Goodness, even if you only wanted to get out for a while, you can go there for coffee/tea and read the paper and come back and you don't even have to worry about driving. I am beginning to like the idea of not having a car more and more. Of course, I would miss it for the country drives at the weekend, though.

You know, Don, if push comes to shove, you could always rent out a room in your house. I think you will be fine, though. As I find out what it costs to live over there - and with all the senior discounts - I think we will all be better off in the UK than anywhere else.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

You must post some pics, Don. I'd love to see it
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers -No, I got nothing from the RAF, but I worked for the Army as a civilian for 32 years.! So, State plus the MOD one, still only comes to 1K a month - for two of us to live on! So will be eligible for Pension Credit, automatically. And as a consequence, a Council tax rebate.
Don, does everyone in the UK pay the "council tax" plus their normal rates? I am wondering how much this comes to on average per year - how it is calculated. I am trying to figure out how much, over and above a mortgage, you have to pay to own a home. I am still not sure if I will try to buy a small house or just rent so I am looking at the two options. I am not sure that at 62 (by the time I get there) I will be able to get a mortgage, though, even if I could afford one.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think Council Tax is same as rates, you knew replaced the old rates system, I know there are water rates to be paid but not sure about anything else.
Windsong where will you be moving home from? And whats your timeline.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I think Council Tax is same as rates, you knew replaced the old rates system, I know there are water rates to be paid but not sure about anything else.
Windsong where will you be moving home from? And whats your timeline.
Well, I only recently made a firm decision to go back - and I just started working after being unemployed for six months - so it's going to be 2-3 years. I am 58 now and want to save enough money to have some sort of cushion behind me when I first return. Also, I want to begin collecting my SS and pension just before I go back so I will have a regular income when I get there. I plan to work there as well but, being "new" again in my own country, it might take a while to get a job. I have no family there so I have to be sure I plan this carefully.

If I had parents there, believe me, I would get my pets prepped (six months) and save enough for the trip over and I would be gone.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Don, does everyone in the UK pay the "council tax" plus their normal rates? I am wondering how much this comes to on average per year - how it is calculated. I am trying to figure out how much, over and above a mortgage, you have to pay to own a home. I am still not sure if I will try to buy a small house or just rent so I am looking at the two options. I am not sure that at 62 (by the time I get there) I will be able to get a mortgage, though, even if I could afford one.
Council tax for a single person, moderate size house in a halfway decent area is circa £1,000 per year. Mine includes "water rates" at a fixed amount, but in other regions you can ask to have a water meter fitted so you pay less (if you live alone). I pay the same amount for water as the people next door, a family of 5 ... but in this part of Scotland you can not opt to pay for metered water, completely unfair.

If you rent when you come back, you will be liable for the council tax, not the landlord, unlike the States where the homeowner usually pays the property taxes and takes account for this by including it in the rent.

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 29th 2010 at 11:59 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:33 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd pop in for a cuppa.

As always, I've enjoyed reading all the posts. It appears that we all survived the holidays regardless of which side of the pond we were on.

Our Christmas was rather quiet. To be honest, it was quite difficult for me ... thinking about my grandsons back home opening all their presents on Christmas morning, etc. etc. and more etc. But sacrifices such as these are the reality of my life and I simply have to accept them. To be honest, Christmas has never really been the same for me since my children grew up so it seems like every year my personal Christmas changes and evolves and is still a "work in progress", I think. As I grow older, I seem to enjoy more and more my recollections of Christmases past such as when my children were young and, even more melancholy, remembering Christmases when I was a little girl. I'm lucky to have had the most brilliant childhood/family and am so thankful that I have these memories.

Ahem. Sorry. Moving on....

Tony has a 52-year old [mentally] handicapped brother who lives here at home, and it was a complete joy, truly, to watch him opening his presents on Christmas morning. He attends several centres/schools and has quite a large circle of friends who are in a similar situation to his, and they all exchange gifts with one another. Between family and friends, he must have had close to 50 pressies to open!

Tony loves giving little "gag" gifts to people. He has nicknamed his Mum "Bunny" because she's always running to and fro, always busy, never sits still. He found a little pink "Energizer bunny" ornament on Amazon and it really made her laugh when she opened it.

After Tony made phone calls to his 6 children, we drove into London. As I had been quite ill for the previous couple of weeks, we decided to forego the Dickens Walk around London and instead visited the Charles Dickens House Museum in Bloomsbury. I had been there 2 or 3 times before, but Tony had never been - and Dickens is his favourite author. It is one of the few places open in London on Christmas Day and of course it had a special 'Victorian Christmas' atmosphere there.

They served mulled wine and mince pies, and there were readings of 'A Christmas Carol'. Each visitor also received a free gift of the souvenir guide, a pencil, and 2 postcards. You could also tour the 4-story house. And the gift shop was open. We enjoyed it very much and were glad we arrived early because by the time we left, the queue to get in went all the way down the street.

London is surreal on Christmas Day - quite empty - although there are still a number of people walking about. We drove up the Mall to Buckingham Palace but the road was blocked at one end. Since I had recently mentioned wanting to see the Emmeline Pankhurst statue at Westminster Park, we drove over there, parked up, and made a quick run to the statue (it was freezing outside!!!) long enough for me to snap some pictures.

We were trying to kill a bit of time before arriving at Tony's aunt and uncle's house. Since they live very near Heathrow, we decided to go to Terminal 5 to see what it was like inside. And very nice it is.

After that, we stopped by his aunt and uncle's for about an hour, then headed home. The refrigerator was full of sliced turkey, gammon, etc., for Mum's Boxing Day drop-in, so I fixed us plates of all the goodies, made my phone calls back to the States, then we spent the rest of Christmas evening in front of the telly watching all the Christmas specials.

Boxing Day saw more family here for Mum's drop-in, which was very nice. On the table: turkey, gammon, chicken, cold potatoes, potato salad, shrinp vol auvents, egg vol au vents, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, sausages wrapped in bacon, cheese wrapped in bacon, beetroot, pickled egg, 3 different types of cheese and crackers, tomatoes, salad, pineapple/cheese bites, stuffed potato skins, bread rolls ... gosh, and loads of other things I can't remember. Oh yes, 3 types of homemade TRIFLE, and of course Christmas Cake and other desserts.

So now we're back to normal, although the tree is still up and all the Christmas cards are all still standing at attention here in the lounge. A new year is just around the corner, Tony starts work on January 6, and hopefully 2011 will be our best year for ALL of us.

Last edited by DDL; Dec 29th 2010 at 12:36 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

AVERAGE MONTHLY COSTS FOR A 2 BEDROOM BUNGALOW JULY 2010
COUNCIL TAX...........................92
HOUSE INSURANCE....................30
CAR INSURANCE........................50
TV LICENCE.............................12
MOT AND CAR TAX....................15
ELECTRIC BILL..........................20
GAS BILL.................................100
PETROL...................................40
WATER ON METER.....................30
FOOD FOR TWO........................300
BROADBAND AND PHONE.............30
MEALS OUT.............................60 ?????? ALL DEPENDS
CLOTHES................................50 ?????? ALL DEPENDS
MISCL....................................50
PUB VISITING..........................200

TOTAL....................................1079 POUNDS PER MONTH

ALL THE ABOVE IS APPROXIMATE

Cheers....Taffy I hope this gives everyone an idea
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely DDL - especially the Dickens museum.

Sally, The monthly General Auctions in the UK, have lovely cheap furniture - I don't mean the Antique Sales, they ARE expensive. I still wonder why folks ship Furniture. We are leaving all of it here. The Salvation Army Shops, sell smashing stuff . much of it is new, and so do the Sue Ryder Foundation. Have a look at www.suiteexchange.co.uk and also www.furnishyourhome.co.uk both very good value for money. Not Argos, nor Harveys. love dontheturner
Thanks for the links. We'll be buying a lot of stuff there but there are some things we just really like and to replace them would either a) cost a lot of money or b) take a long time before we found something as nice. For example, we have two old coffee tables that we found in junk shops and refinished. They are truly one-of-a-kind pieces and I love them. I don't see the point of selling them for peanuts and then trawling around auctions trying to find something the same.

I also don't fancy starting from absolutely nothing trying to fill up a house when we have lots of basic pieces that will do fine. I think I'd end up buying things I didn't much like, just so we didn't have empty space.

A lot of my paintings are up through the house. They aren't worth anything to anyone else, but I don't want to leave them behind. And there's all the basic kitchen stuff. I do a lot of cooking and if I had to replace all that stuff it would take forever. I just won't have time when we get back since we'll still be running our business full-time.

I don't think we'd take back a whole container - we'd probably share one if that's still possible.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck

TOTAL....................................1079 POUNDS PER MONTH
Wow! If those numbers are right, I will be OK. We have to pay just a little less than that for one month of health insurance!! That's before we even get into all the other living costs.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Taffy, I found that really helpful, thanks! We pay a damn sight more than that here in Canada, and we lead a fairly careful life, knowing that we only have a few years left here before we move home. Still, its good to have some sort of guide to show my OH and to know this is all affordable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.