Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Come on dunroving help Rod with his extension cord issue, I think it may be called a powercord, Surely they are available, the UK is well up this stuff.

Rod if you cant find one make your own, two plugs, male and female and some approved wire, or Flex as it used to be called...

Put that modem somewhere safe.

Good Luck Rod.
TBH, I read this earlier and can't think why they wouldn't understand "extension cord" .... maybe "extension lead"? ... but as I think Rodney said, you can only get the thick white ones, not the skinny ones you get in the States - but then the voltage IS double what you get in the US, so a skinny one would melt!

You can get basic extension leads, without having to get an industrial-grade wind-up one:

http://direct.asda.com/Masterplug-Ex...efault,pd.html
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on dunroving help Rod with his extension cord issue, I think it may be called a powercord, Surely they are available, the UK is well up this stuff.

Rod if you cant find one make your own, two plugs, male and female and some approved wire, or Flex as it used to be called...

Good Luck Rod.
I wrote to him already - the Maplins in Portsmouth has what he needs. He just needs to log on here again to see what I left for him to read.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Rodney but I have more like 48 days or so to go, it's Jackie who only has about 14 or 15.

Living with your mum at 91 reminds me of when I was a House Manager in Frome, the residents there were mainly in their 70's and 80's and would invariably say "Oh but you're just a young thing" - it was good for the spirits.
14 sleeps and a wake up.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I wrote to him already - the Maplins in Portsmouth has what he needs. He just needs to log on here again to see what I left for him to read.
Yes, if there is a Maplin's locally, it's probably better for basic electrical products rather than Asda or Tesco, IMO.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Mallory... the house showing went well. They are thinking about ours and another one. But have not heard back yet. Would love to know what the other one looks like.
I have learnt such alot on this forum about going home and details I had never thought about. Taking the dog via the ship was top of my list but because of this forum I find out that there is a waiting list of 2 years. Still I have all that information bookmarked and much much more that one day will come in very handy and I do post at regular intervals and will post if anyone wants it.
Each person that goes home comes back to the forum with different aspects of life back in the UK and also lots of news and information all very helpful and also they are in different parts of the country.
I think the thing I learnt most is patience and perserverence. Each time we get knocked down we get up and start again thats what I learnt from ED. And from all those that have gone home the perserverence to carry on and keep going for it, sometimes they do have a difficult time
We started this thread in September 2009 before my husband became sick and before my daughter had her brain op and my grandson was born with a bad foot but I only once wanted to give up but on seeing other peoples post and seeing their perseverence I decided I could do it and although its not happened yet it will one day.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:18 pm
Ping-ponger

Good Luck Rod.
So what do the male and the female do while you are making your extension cord?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Probably arguing..
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mallory... the house showing went well. They are thinking about ours and another one. But have not heard back yet. Would love to know what the other one looks like.
I have learnt such alot on this forum about going home and details I had never thought about. Taking the dog via the ship was top of my list but because of this forum I find out that there is a waiting list of 2 years. Still I have all that information bookmarked and much much more that one day will come in very handy and I do post at regular intervals and will post if anyone wants it.
Each person that goes home comes back to the forum with different aspects of life back in the UK and also lots of news and information all very helpful and also they are in different parts of the country.
I think the thing I learnt most is patience and perserverence. Each time we get knocked down we get up and start again thats what I learnt from ED. And from all those that have gone home the perserverence to carry on and keep going for it, sometimes they do have a difficult time
We started this thread in September 2009 before my husband became sick and before my daughter had her brain op and my grandson was born with a bad foot but I only once wanted to give up but on seeing other peoples post and seeing their perseverence I decided I could do it and although its not happened yet it will one day.
I hope the people decide on your house Trotty....good luck..
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
hahahaaa I hate to say, LOL

By the way thanks to you and Rosie for helping Rod, Im sure he will be a happy camper soon.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Probably arguing..
You might be right, and after that? LOL
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Here's hoping this is the buyer you have been waiting for ever so patiently all these years!!! Good luck TT.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Rod.
Hi Fish, yes your right, I went into this electronic store and they said that they can sell me a plug and the wire I need to thread into the plug and make an extension power cord myself, he said thats the only way to do it these days, he asked me have I done this before? I said no Ive just spent the last 36 years in US, he said yes I understand, and he said that if you dont know what to do once you bare and split the wire if you put one wire in the wrong place on the plug it can be very dangerous,
Im going to go back to that store and ask him if he can do it for me for a small fee, or maybe I will ask my Nephew on Wednesday, he,s coming around then to put the christmas decorations up in the attic, he does it every year,
or I could send the plug and wire to you fish and maybe you could do it for me
well take it east Fish,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Here's hoping this is the buyer you have been waiting for ever so patiently all these years!!! Good luck TT.
trotty that goes for me too, good luck on the house and good vibes going your way for them to choose yours,
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish, yes your right, I went into this electronic store and they said that they can sell me a plug and the wire I need to thread into the plug and make an extension power cord myself, he said thats the only way to do it these days, he asked me have I done this before? I said no Ive just spent the last 36 years in US, he said yes I understand, and he said that if you dont know what to do once you bare and split the wire if you put one wire in the wrong place on the plug it can be very dangerous,
Im going to go back to that store and ask him if he can do it for me for a small fee, or maybe I will ask my Nephew on Wednesday, he,s coming around then to put the christmas decorations up in the attic, he does it every year,
or I could send the plug and wire to you fish and maybe you could do it for me
well take it east Fish,
Rodney.
Rod... Read Dunroving and Rosies post, they have a solution much better than mine...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your good wishes could you keep your fingers crossed till the end of the week thats when they are going to decide.

Regarding Rice Pudding, I like semolina pudding which is ground rice Birds eye does a good one in a tin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.