Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:27 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Cheers, £38 yesterday for about three-quarters of a tank on the Megane.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it raining today Rod?
No Cheers its a very nice day today, lovely sunshine blue skies and a temp of 8 or 9 c. about 50 f.
Nice to here from you again mate,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers, £38 yesterday for about three-quarters of a tank on the Megane.
thanks for info!
Insurance is very reasonable.
Fillup not as bad as it could be.
I would say the fillup is my Med Ins. payment
Do you know about how many miles you put on the car per week or month. Thats probably all going to change now that hubby is working.
I say that because we think the costs balance out because we drive more in the states?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod you were going to mention the few minor things that irate you (PO).
You have not mentioned them yet so let me guess.
Rudeness in some cases
Litter
Swearing?
Service levels in some cases.
Small portions of food.
Wasting water (LV joke) No lawns allowed

Am I close?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:46 am
DDL

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be okay for an American citizen to post comments about what they don't like about the UK healthcare system, but not okay for those of us Brits living in the US to talk about the US system.
All I was doing was reporting fact, and I specifically said in my post that I wasn't complaining, I was just reporting my firsthand experience.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is supposed to be questions, answers/information, and support concerning moving back to the UK. I am here in the UK now. I can help with answers, I can help with information, I can help with support, and in turn I can ask questions because, being American, there are some things I'm in the dark about.

What I don't think this thread should be about is a discussion of US healthcare, unless it's something like, "In the U.S., they do it this way...how is it done in the UK" or something like that.

I've been very open and generous in sharing my experiences here because I hope that it will help someone. I've also been very open about my love for the UK..but it's been a real downer to come on here lately. It wasn't this way 6-8 months ago.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DDL;9090610]Cheers, [F yesterday for about three-quarters of a tank on the Megane.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][F

My Mum always fills her car up with petrol when it gets down to half tank, and yesterday she filled her car up and so for half a tank it cost £26 ---- its £1.29 per liter so I think theres at least 4 liters to the gallon so that would be £5.16 per gallon ---- so thats a whopping $7.60 per gallon, Just think over there in US we all complain about paying $2.70 per gallon --- I think thats what it cost when I left Vegas?
Mum & I though split everything including the petrol,
PS how you doing in London Denise, havent had time to catch up on all the multitude of old posts on here --- you know what thats like Huh, but have you and Tony lucked out yet and got a Job?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:54 am
DDL

Do you know about how many miles you put on the car per week or month. Thats probably all going to change now that hubby is working.
I say that because we think the costs balance out because we drive more in the states?
No, I sure don't Cheers. We do drive into London every now and then and do local trips but like you said it will all change now that he'll have to use his car on inspections but they will be giving him an annual stipend to cover the use of his personal car for business and to help defray PARKING COSTS AT WORK which he has to pay, something like 4 pounds/day, but on the days when he'll be doing inspections he will be allowed to park in the free lot.

Parking costs everywhere: the shops, the mall - and even at the hospital.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:55 am
DDL

Am I loosing it or is this a repeat posting? I thought I had already read this earlier.
Nope Cheers, I just wrote it.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

You lie
Cheers, (ONE THING I NEVER EVER DO IS LIE)
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Nope Cheers, I just wrote it.
Denise, it snowed today in SC! Most of the south is snowed in.

Just a quick question. Hubby is retiring next spring, and we will spending time in UK visiting family much more often, for a couple of months at a time. We have both driven rental cars over there in the past, but now in 60s we are thinking of using the train more. Do non-residents get discounts on tickets if over 60, or is that just for residents?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:15 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by jasper123
PS how you doing in London Denise, havent had time to catch up on all the multitude of old posts on here --- you know what thats like Huh, but have you and Tony lucked out yet and got a Job?
Hey Rodders! Yea, we're doing good. Tony got a job with the Council as a Planning Enforcement Officer. Although he never has much luck enforcing me to keep my mouth shut.

A total career change for him as he was a Web Developer in IT for years, but a long time ago he used to manage a large Estate and has experience in enforcement and he's worked for a local authority before so he knows what that's all about.

I'm still looking for work but have a few hopeful "irons in the fire" at the moment. Hopefully, something will happen soon.

Glad you're feeling back at home again. We want to make a trip down to Dickens' house there in Portsmouth one of these days. When we do, I'll get in touch and maybe we can meet up for a cuppa.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 10th 2011 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:28 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Mallory
Denise, it snowed today in SC! Most of the south is snowed in.

Just a quick question. Hubby is retiring next spring, and we will spending time in UK visiting family much more often, for a couple of months at a time. We have both driven rental cars over there in the past, but now in 60s we are thinking of using the train more. Do non-residents get discounts on tickets if over 60, or is that just for residents?
Hi Mallory! Yes! I saw that on the news and saw that Gov. Sanford called for the closing of all State offices. It snowed the day after Christmas there as well, didn't it. Amazing!

I'm sorry that off the top of my head, I don't know the answer to your question. I am trying to get on to the Visit Britain website (official UK tourism website) but it appears to be down at the moment, but I will try to find an answer for you.

Take care!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rod you were going to mention the few minor things that irate you (PO).
You have not mentioned them yet so let me guess.
Rudeness in some cases
Litter
Swearing?
Service levels in some cases.
Small portions of food.
Wasting water (LV joke) No lawns allowed

Am I close?
nope your not even close my friend, in your list the only thing I have found so far is swearing from 14 year olds, I hear the boys and girls across the street at the school when they are going home, pretty filthy mouths I would say, they need to be washed out with a nice perfumed bar of soap,
But thats it, havent heard adults swearing yet, --- I think the kids just pick it up from the TV programs that they watch,
no my list is quite small and I will post them tomorrow maybe, but one that comes to mind now is when my Modem/router was delivered last week the power cord needed to be plugged in to a socket close to the phone jack of course, but the nearest power wall socket to the only downstairs phone jack was too far away to reach the phone jack ---- so all I needed to buy was a 10 foot extension cable, ----- so if I were in Vegas I would have just gone into Walmart and bought it for about $3 and thats it, so I just took a trip to Asda and they had nothing but big thick white cord power surges, so I found a couple of electrical shops and they didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for an extension cord,
Apparently UK used to have them and they were the same straight forward ones like ours in US but since UK joined the EU Germany who runs it told us here years ago that we cant have those nice managable easy to use thin extension cords anymore, and just like everything they tell the UK to do we just jump and do it, but thank goodness we were at least able to keep the pound, that took a big fight on the British Governments to be able to keep our pound so hats off to that,
So I just have to sit my modem on the floor in the hallway just by the door across from the phone, its alright as long as we remember that when we open front door to not open it too far to knock it,
Rodney.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:36 pm
DDL

Any EastEnders fans here?

Last night we went to the Panto (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) and I had so much fun! "Minty" from EE played the Henchman.

The show was loaded with EE inuendo. During his very first appearance in the play, the music switched to the EE theme song. LOL

He then proceeded to introduce his character and he shouts, "I am Queen Morgiana's henchman!" And then you heard a little voice down in the front row yell out, "No you're not! You're Minty!" Everyone just ROARED with laughter.

In one scene, he mentions how difficult a job it is being the Wicked Queen's henchman and says it doesn't pay well, either, that he has to have a second job. Muddles (the Jester) replied, "Oh right, you mean as the doorman at the Queen Vic."

One of his lines was "I can't think about that now, I have other things to think about", and Muddles response was, "Yea, what, like Heather at the laundry?"

And when Queen Morgiana asks him to kill both Snow White and Prince Lorenzo, Minty says, "Oooo, a double murder! Sounds more like Walford every day."

Loads of fun it was!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Hey Rodders! Yea, we're doing good. Tony got a job with the Council as a Planning Enforcement Officer. (Although he never has much luck enforcing me to keep my mouth shut. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/rofl.gif)

A total career change for him as he was a Web Developer in IT for years, but a long time ago he used to manage a large Estate and has experience in enforcement and he's worked for a local authority before so he knows what that's all about.

I'm still looking for work but have a few hopeful "irons in the fire" at the moment. Hopefully, something will happen soon.

Glad you're feeling back at home again. We want to make a trip down to Dickens' house there in Portsmouth one of these days. When we do, I'll get in touch and maybe we can meet up for a cuppa.
Good news on Tony getting that Job and it sounds like a very good one too,
Yes that will be nice Denise when your in Portsmouth to see the birthplace of Charles Dickens we can meet and have a cuppa somewhere,
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.