Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Oh dear seems like my scene from a comic sketch didnt quite have the effect I thought, I actually did say to the man who interviewed me that I had heard some stories while waiting that shocked me and he said Oh yes who, so I did just nod my head in the direction...
to be honest about the 16 hours thing, i dont really know because I plan to work anyway and not need it...

Mummy are you Linda? sorry not sure who Cheers was talking about.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh dear seems like my scene from a comic sketch didnt quite have the effect I thought, I actually did say to the man who interviewed me that I had heard some stories while waiting that shocked me and he said Oh yes who, so I did just nod my head in the direction...
to be honest about the 16 hours thing, i dont really know because I plan to work anyway and not need it...

Mummy are you Linda? sorry not sure who Cheers was talking about.
No I'm not Linda.
I am glad you said something to the interviewer though. They know who's messing them about I'm pretty sure, they will get him in the end. I think they have to have a pretty solid case against them.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:48 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
HTH

ha ha It certainly did!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you want to move back?

Maybe you want to rethink it when you discover the following.

HP sause was bought by the American company Heinz. More.

To save money they laid off the UK employees and moved the operation to Holland. More

To save money Heinz moved their production from Holland to Spain. More

Heinz has change the ingredients and reduced the amount of salt content. More.

The new formula now has increased calories and doesn't taste the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Condiment.html

Last edited by cheers; Sep 11th 2011 at 3:20 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Get two houses for the price of one.

House prices are said to have plummeted in Ireland so if you buy a house they will throw another house in for free. Sounds like a deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nn-offers.html
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi fish my favorite chippies is still open and its just at the top of our road, I dont know how long its been open but my Mums been in this same house where we live since the mid 60,s so I know its at least that old, its an Italian family that has always owned it, same family today just different generations of the family run it throughout the years, everything is of course fresh, they have Cod and two other types of fish to choose from, they always give you way more chips then you can eat, and mushy peas and pickled onions if you want, they even deep fry battered sausages---- anyone ever tried that? Hmmmmm price at my chippies is £4.20 each for fish & chips, I guess its a little cheaper outside of London,
Hi Rod, I have to say I love battered sausages from the chippy, as well as fish n chips or pie n chips, plus mushy peas of course, up in the north some places sell fish cakes, they are two slices of potato with fish in between, those are yummy too...

Im a Big sausage fan, I just love sausage, nothing beats a hot sauage roll from the bakers, Yum Yum, what about Dripping cakes (cob) or Pork sandwiches from the butchers.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
You're lucky having a "real" fish & chips place near you - closest thing here is Arthur Treacher's and we all know that isn't like the "real" fish & chips we get back home. The best fish & chips I ever tasted was in Scotland two years ago. Anstruther Fish Bar in Anstruther, Fife - yummy! In fact, it has been voted the best for fish and chips in the UK for several years in a row. Delicious!!
Hello Derrygirl, you are right we are lucky, when I lived in the Rockies fresh fish n chips were a not available, at that time we'd drive 160 miles to Salt Lake City just for Skippers fish chips, then 160 miles home, that and a bit of shopping would make for a nice day out...
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

A sensible offer was made for my house to-day during an open inspection, and I shall accept.

My agent said that if everything goes smoothly, I should be out of here in 5 weeks.

I am celebrating with a cup of Earl Grey tea and a chocolate covered doughnut!

So, the house has been on the market for 7 weeks, and there have been 23 inspections. The 21st inspection made the offer.

Fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Get two houses for the price of one.

House prices are said to have plummeted in Ireland so if you buy a house they will throw another house in for free. Sounds like a deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nn-offers.html
Wow - that is a deal!! Letterkenny, in County Donegal is only about 20 miles from where I grew up (Derry/Londonderry, N Ireland). They look like really nice houses. If I was retired, I would really look into that - not in a position to move now as I need to work at least another 8 - 10 years here. County Donegal is beautiful - only downside is that it gets a lot of rain!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
A sensible offer was made for my house to-day during an open inspection, and I shall accept.

My agent said that if everything goes smoothly, I should be out of here in 5 weeks.

So, the house has been on the market for 7 weeks, and there have been 23 inspections. The 21st inspection made the offer.

Congratulations aries!

I guess by inspections you mean what in UK are called "viewings" but in US are called "showings" (because there "viewing" means looking at a dead person!). At first I was confused and thought you meant 23 professional inspections for stability, termites, how well-built, etc etc! then I realised you must mean 23 people have come to look at it.

Anyway this is HUGE! fantastic and a very very fast sale.

Tina
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Just trying to catch up before hubby and I go for a coffee to talk about our future plans. Cheers, we'll be at Starbucks spending almost as much as DDL's fish and chips cost ;-)

Aries, congrats on the house sale. Great stuff!

Charleygirl
, not sure if I missed all the details on why your son is coming on a one-way ticket, but I hope this puts to rest your (past) concerns that your kids don't love you! I'm glad things are falling into place for you.

This time, England threw her worst at us weather-wise. I think we only had two sunny afternoons in the whole 9 days - the rest was drizzle alternating with heavy rain.

Lots to think about on this trip, but a few more observations ...

Why are most people in the UK so stingy with their heat? We stayed for one night with friends who have a decent amount of disposable income (think nothing of buying themselves good food, DVDs, CDs etc., have a nice new car, go away for several holidays every year) but who proudly told us they do their best to wait until November before turning on the central heating. I slept in two pairs of socks and two jumpers and I've never had such a fast shower as the one I had that morning

I already know to take an extra-thick sweater when I visit my mum because she only heats the living room. Again, not a financial necessity.

The food was amazing on this trip - from pub lunches to fish and chips to Indian food to gourmet cuisine. There are a couple of restaurants in Kendal where the food is easily as good as anything in the top New York restaurants - a real change from when I lived in the UK. One night I took my mum out to dinner at a place called Deja Vu and we had an exquisite 3 course meal with wine and liqueur coffees for £44 (or $70). Couldn't have got anything like that at that price for even one person where I live.

Every single person we met was kind and helpful. We went into a letting agents and asked some questions about the renting process, and we looked at a property for sale with another estate agent - both of them were lovely.
The letting agent did confirm my fear that renting a house in Kendal without a home finder is going to be next to impossible. She said they come up very rarely and you have to be knocking on the door every few days at every agents in order to snap something up. Hard to do from New York.

The estate agent was honest with us about the property we viewed - a Georgian town house needing complete renovation - and I suppose the idea of buying it is completely impractical and unaffordable. Still, it was good to tour a property and have the move start to seem concrete. (And I will dream for years of the flagstone kitchen floor and the old iron range!)

We still liked the place as much as we did last time, so I think that will be our destination.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, hope it all goes smoothly for you and you move on time
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez that is GOOD

my house in uk on the market for 26 weeks, 4 expressed an interst, 1 didnt turn up for inspection, one was really looking for a flat but thought it would be "nice to see a house for comparison" and the other two wanted to make offers of over 25% below the asking.

so its going to rental
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bit of an update from me too now that I am home - albeit for a holiday. As always, I know where I belong (and it isnt the a*se end of the universe either!).

This week we have seen our son get married - fabulous Indian wedding with much socializing and feeling mightily outnumbered by the other half! Our son did his bit with aplomb and I never knew he was such an amazing public speaker (that's what a good education does for you I suppose!) and his speech was very special, just wish I had recorded it. Yes, I did have a dress and a fascinator and apparently scrubbed up to the inlaw's exacting specifications.

Sadly, my mum could not make it to the wedding which she had been looking forward to for so long. She got taken to hospital last Saturday night after a "turn" which was most likely a little stroke which added to her general poor mobility would have been incredibly hard to manage. Fortunately for us she is now lucid and acknowledges that she wouldnt have done well at a venue 2.5 hours away, living in a motel and having to be nice to hundreds of Indians when she couldnt find both her hearing aids. Dad came which was great and he had a good time.

We are now on a week away - just came to South Cave near Hull because Cave Castle here was built by one of my daughter in law's ancestors and I wanted to show her and the DGDs some of their heritage. I think I might get her hooked! We are off to York tomorrow then via Richmond (fabulous restaurant there) to Durham and Hadrian's wall before heading down to Nth Yorks near Settle for a few days with friends.

I cant see what DH has against this fabulous place. I have had more casual chats in the past 10 days than in the past 10 months in Aus. I love the variety and interesting things on every corner. I belong!!!!!!!!

Thank heavens for the Little Chef and their wifi huh!!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi fish my favorite chippies is still open and its just at the top of our road, I dont know how long its been open but my Mums been in this same house where we live since the mid 60,s so I know its at least that old, its an Italian family that has always owned it, same family today just different generations of the family run it throughout the years, everything is of course fresh, they have Cod and two other types of fish to choose from, they always give you way more chips then you can eat, and mushy peas and pickled onions if you want, they even deep fry battered sausages---- anyone ever tried that? Hmmmmm price at my chippies is £4.20 each for fish & chips, I guess its a little cheaper outside of London,
I went to Southport today with some friends and had a Seaside Special, cod, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and a cup of tea for £7.50.

It was really nice there though it was SOOOOOOOO cold and windy!!! Had a wander around the shops, a walk on the prom and an ice cream, a fresh cream and jam scone and another cuppa.

The diet starts again tomorrow LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.