Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Barb, are you moving to Frome, too?
Nooo that was in my last lifetime in the UK, this time it will either be Cheshire with my sister or somewhere near to Heathrow.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
We do appreciate all that you do Sue, really we do..
Yes we do Sue, thank you even if we sometimes get a little bit carried away, it's our age you know.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Just to add, sometimes I feel like we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Contrary to popular belief myself and the mods don't make these decisions to try piss people off, instead we try to help facilitate conversations between you all, and create a welcoming environment. So please give us a break and remember we can't please all of the people all of the time ... but we do try our very best.

Thanks

(Sue gets off her soap box and goes to get a cup of tea ...... as you were)

Thats a Great point... Thankyou Sue...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Nooo that was in my last lifetime in the UK, this time it will either be Cheshire with my sister or somewhere near to Heathrow.
Where in Cheshire?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ahem, excuse me, but would the moderators please move this to the "Tapioca, semolina and assorted desserts for over 50's & 60's" thread?

Thank you.

OK, OK, I'll let it go now, it's time for my cocoa.
Please move that last comment to the 'Bedtime drinks' thread...

just being silly...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
Here's another topic for you all

When we lived in Britain, my mothers and aunts at the time used to make rice pudding and also macaroni pudding - which was just like rice pudding but a different pasta.

Here in the U.S. I do make rice pudding. I also tried macaroni pudding - but it tastes NOTHING like what it did int he UK - different pasta perhaps. What pasta should I be using to make macaroni pudding? I think I used elbow pasta.
I have never heard of making it with pasta

I think to make a decent rice pudding here you should try rice flakes ,or rissoto (sp? ) rice ,is that the one you use ?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hope that everyone is starting off the New Year well. Just been trying to catch up on all the new posts.....wow things move quickly on here.

We now have an accepted offer on the house in Brixham and will have it surveyed tomorrow. The house buying procedures here being so very different meaning we could still be "gazumped' by another bidder up until the time the contracts are exchanged. We are told that is not likely in today's market though.
Now they have "gazundering" too which basically means we could say we have decided we don't think it's worth xxxx$ and will now give you xxxx$. Love the terminology here. The whole process has been very interesting and gone amazingly smoothly so far.

Yesterday we went car shopping and the prices for used cars seem very good here mostly for the fact that people don't seem to keep cars for very long so there is a very good used car market. We looked at a Honda Jazz (Fit) 2007(Automatic of course) with 20,000 miles for 5,950. We are told there is about a 1000 pound markup on dealers used cars and we could probably get it for about 5250 if we haggle enough. I don't know if I am ready for driving on these narrow Devon roads.

We have been traveling around South Devon by bus and train exploring different parts. Several people have said if you still love it after arriving here for the coldest December since Victorian times that is a good sign. We are finding food prices incredibly reasonable....always so many special offers to be had and a vast choice of supermarkets. Yesterday we were in Lidyl and their prices and fresh produce were excellent. Also we were pricing appliances yesterday and they are vastly cheaper than Canada (not sure about other countries).

A beautiful day here in Sunny South Devon...will be going out for a long walk later.
Congratulations on the house David, hope all goes well with the survey..how exciting for you both. The gazundering sounds amazing, so in other words, anything can happen between the time your offer is accepted and the time contracts are exchanged?

We've been researching cars also, and the Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Astra all seemed to be highly recommended. Apparently, the value of cars drops more quickly in the UK than in Canada, so you get a better deal on a used car there. Don't forget you have to get an MOT there!

We went to Lidyl when we were there in September, great store, but it made me laugh when I saw the spelling, as when I first heard the name spoken, I thought it was "Little"

Good Luck with everything.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

I think to make a decent rice pudding here you should try rice flakes ,or rissoto (sp? ) rice ,is that the one you use ?
I think windsong was referring to the macaroni pudding.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

I thought you made rice pudding with round rice and macaroni with "macaroni"
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
I thought you made rice pudding with round rice and macaroni with "macaroni"
I thought you opened the can and chucked it in a pan to cook it.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Congratulations on the house David, hope all goes well with the survey..how exciting for you both. The gazundering sounds amazing, so in other words, anything can happen between the time your offer is accepted and the time contracts are exchanged?

We've been researching cars also, and the Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Astra all seemed to be highly recommended. Apparently, the value of cars drops more quickly in the UK than in Canada, so you get a better deal on a used car there. Don't forget you have to get an MOT there!

We went to Lidyl when we were there in September, great store, but it made me laugh when I saw the spelling, as when I first heard the name spoken, I thought it was "Little"

Good Luck with everything.
This particular car comes with a 1 year's MOT and a 6 month warranty. The more I have looked the better this car is looking. I have not found a better priced Honda Jazz with such low mileage. I will take a look at the Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Astra too.

Had a nice "Lidyl" quiche at lunch today.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
This particular car comes with a 1 year's MOT and a 6 month warranty. The more I have looked the better this car is looking. I have not found a better priced Honda Jazz with such low mileage. I will take a look at the Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Astra too.

Had a nice "Lidyl" quiche at lunch today.
Stick with the Honda, they are terrific cars, my favorites. Toyota second choice, maybe a Auris, Corolla or Yaris.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I thought you opened the can and chucked it in a pan to cook it.
Lovely! gave me a much needed laugh. This site and the one we moved over to for the healthcare issues has been too unhappy today. Tomorrow is a new day (being Zen here).
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Lovely! gave me a much needed laugh. This site and the one we moved over to for the healthcare issues has been too unhappy today. Tomorrow is a new day (being Zen here).
Im not unhappy but thats just me.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im not unhappy but thats just me.
Im not unhappy either, I feel so bad for causing all this static on the thread..sorry guys..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.