Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You can get it paid into a UK account, once they change the address adn then you can give them the UK sort code (us router numbers) You may lose some of the money due to the windfall thing they have going, if you have under 30 years in and have a pension from elsewhere they can deduct so much per $ of the US SS there were some links around here to the ins and outs of it there is a minimum amount they would reduce the SS to they wouldn't take it all. But that would happen whether you lived in US or not. She does sound confused, you don't need to be in the US to collect the money.
http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/wep-chart.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/index.html
thank you mummy, I think you have helped me sleep tonight! To be told wait for a phone call which might not happen until Monday and dont worry, all in the same breath was a bit much
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

aries..Very funny. Tag me and that will be the end of him.

Mummy in the foothills.....I went one better and had two glasses of wine. He did call and explained that everything was going well he is waiting for a call from the buyers but he did say Friday is the day the bank comes forward with the agreement. Its the deadline on the contract. Then we just have to do closing. I am so stressed I have 15 boxes sat at the side of me just full of books I had no idea I had hidden them so well. I am calling the library tomorrow before I change my mind and our daughter is coming over to put the things she has bought into the garage ready for pick up on Saturday. I have no idea what my OH is going to sleep on when she takes his beloved sofa. I cleaner the freezer out today. Number 3 mover comes tomorrow then we have to choose.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy for you, I know how long you have been waiting for this to happen. I hope that by this weekend you can truly celebrate your move back to the UK. Saying a prayer for you and your husband.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Take care all of you lurkers, and I welcome you all in advance,
Rodney.
What a lovely post ! I have been lurking on here for ages as I have been sitting on the fence for quite awhile. Fortunately I do get to visit the UK a couple of times a year and this has helped with the homesickness and also gives me a feel for the country I left almost 30 years ago.

I shall keep lurking until I have something significant to contribute, but thanks for the welcome
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
What a lovely post ! I have been lurking on here for ages as I have been sitting on the fence for quite awhile. Fortunately I do get to visit the UK a couple of times a year and this has helped with the homesickness and also gives me a feel for the country I left almost 30 years ago.

I shall keep lurking until I have something significant to contribute, but thanks for the welcome
Coastie,
Yes I can see if you are able to go back home a couple of times a year then that would not only help with the homesickness but also keep you tuned in to the U.K. and you can see the changes as they happen, and by the time you go back home for good, the culture difference will be easier for you,
If you dont mind me asking --- do you plan on going home within the next few years?
Rodney. and Welcome
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Tina,
Yes your comment on new members or just readers who think they are left out because they see us old timers who are happy to hear from each other talking to each other on this thread, and that they may feel left out,
Yes your right, everyone old or new is welcome on here, thats what keeps this thread alive, and they must never feel intimidated or shy ---- just come on in ---- we dont bite ya know, come on in put the kettle on pull up a chair and tell us a little about yourself, and if you do that I can tell you this ---- you will get quite a few replies to your posts, and you will make friends above your wildest dreams if you keep posting, you will get support, you can ask questions and if anyone knows the answer they will help you......

Take care all of you lurkers, and I welcome you all in advance,
Rodney.

Thanks Rodney for endorsing what I said.

I keep remembering that this forum has been accused of being a clique that excludes people.

For you and anyone else wondering abt Bank appraisal:

When you sell your house, the buyers (unless they are buying in all cash!) have to borrow money. The money has to cover the purchase price.

So you can agree on a price with a buyer, BUT the bank sends an appraiser to make sure the house is really worth that price. If the appraiser says it is not, it's worth less, then the bank won't lend the full amount. The bank will only lend what the appraiser says it is worth.

Laws prevent (in theory) appraisers and banks being in cahoots over this.

But real problems can arise if the bank's appraiser comes, for example, from outside the area. Or if none of the recently-sold houses in the area really compare to yours--they use the prices other houses sold for as part of their assessment.

This happened to us. We agreed on a price with seller, but the appraiser said it was worth MUCH less. We contested the appraisal on several grounds but didn't get anywhere. Our options then were: a) refuse to go ahead with the sale. But we needed to sell the house and a buyer was hard to find, so we didn't want to do that. b) I think we might have had the option to delay the sale and ask for an independent appraiser, but time was pressing, we needed to get on with our lives, etc etc, we didn't investigate this option. c)Sell at the lower price, the one the appraiser said it was worth. Which is what we did. Feeling so bad not just for our own loss but because this low price would then affect all future appraisals in the neighborhood! But we did it anyway.

This is why it is such a good thing that trotty paid for an independent appraisal ahead of time. If the bank's appraisal is low, she can use the independent one to argue against it. What I don't know is, whether it actually would have any force or effect in such an argument.

Hope Trotty's buyers' bank's appraisal is OK!

Tina
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Coastie,
Yes I can see if you are able to go back home a couple of times a year then that would not only help with the homesickness but also keep you tuned in to the U.K. and you can see the changes as they happen, and by the time you go back home for good, the culture difference will be easier for you,
If you dont mind me asking --- do you plan on going home within the next few years?
Rodney. and Welcome
Thanks for the welcome, I am actually in the UK right now, I bought a 15 day Britrail pass so I can freely travel around the country,( first class ). Great deal BTW.

I am not sure when I intend to move, my business has started to pick up and I am making hay while the sun shines so to speak. I expect it will be in the next 5 years depending on my circumstances, hence the lurking

I have garnered a lot of information from this thread though, and I now have a much greater understanding of the ups and downs of relocating.

I am really toying with the Idea of splitting my time between the UK and the US.

Thanks

Mick
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome, I am actually in the UK right now, I bought a 15 day Britrail pass so I can freely travel around the country,( first class ). Great deal BTW.

I am not sure when I intend to move, my business has started to pick up and I am making hay while the sun shines so to speak. I expect it will be in the next 5 years depending on my circumstances, hence the lurking

I have garnered a lot of information from this thread though, and I now have a much greater understanding of the ups and downs of relocating.

I am really toying with the Idea of splitting my time between the UK and the US.

Thanks

Mick
This "splitting" between UK and US is my dream too....as grown kids will be in US. But with world economy in a shambles, not sure if we can pull it off! Question is whether to keep a pied-à-terre in US or just stay in short-term rentals.

well, one can dream!

Tina
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
guys I need help on this one. Just returned from trying to get my USA social security paid into my UK bank, the clerk admitted she wasnt very informed on our situation but apparrently because we do not plan living here anymore we could lose all or portion of our Social Security? Please tell me this isnt true. We stayed here 10 long years to ensure we had SS, surely they cant take away whats ours ? If they do it is going to cause us great hardship, I cant even think straight at this moment. the clerk said one option seems to be for us to return to USA every 6 months for just one day, and this way we keep all our Social Security ? I cant believe this bull crap . The clerk was very nice and promised to call us as soon as she had clarified the situation with her boss who had just left the office. Said she would call us by Monday and not to worry, yeah right !!
That's the trouble with people answering questions when they don't know what they're talking about. It's the same with clerks in banks.

She's wrong about you having to be there - look at Rodney.

As mummy said, they don't let you collect double pension, so if you are getting pension in the UK as well, they will make some deduction from your SS, but you'll still get what you earned.

Breathe!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Aug 17th 2011 at 11:26 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's the trouble with people answering questions when they don't know what they're talking about. It's the same with clerks in banks.

As mummy said, they don't let you collect double pension, so if you are getting pension in the UK as well, they will make some deduction from your SS, but you'll still get what you earned.

Breathe!
Hello to you all, and welcome is ready for you TT - there's always a cuppa at hand here in Shropshire! - Just haven't had time to linger on here, as I am again trying to master the Electronics organ. (yes - got a replacement, for the one left in Thailand)- and am now getting my next years Calendar Creation, all set for printing. Take care all of you, and ask away if you need questions answering! Love Don xxx
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Finally de-lurking to say hello to everyone!

I have visited the board off and on but hadn't been here for a few years. I was delighted to find this section a couple of months ago and have been going through the old threads trying to soak in all the info and figure out who is who and where you all are in the process of trying to decide whether to move back, moving, or moved!

Just want to give a huge universal thank you to everyone who has posted info here, shared their stories and giving support to others, its clearly a great community!

I've been in the US for 17 years, I can NOT believe its been that long! Married to a fellow Brit and living in CT with our 3 children (started out in NJ but his job was moved to CT so we had to follow). We have wanted to go home for a long time but my husband has had no luck on finding a job in the UK. I think I would get work fairly easily (just office admin/retail type stuff) but my salary would never support us so its his employment that is vital. I'm a SAHM for the moment as my earnings wouldn't cover childcare for the two little ones here.

We don't hate living here by any means, I know there are lots of things we would really miss, but its just that we much prefer the European lifestyle, all the things that I have seen others here mention they miss.

Since we have had children (very late in life I should add!) our desire to return to the UK has really intensified even though ironically its also had the effect of helping us to finally feel a little bit more rooted here - if that makes any sense.

My gut has told me that basically its going to be either move in the next few years or we will be here forever as our children will by then feel firmly American and we won't want to uproot them from school further down the line etc. etc. Reading posts on here I have seen that belief confirmed, yes of course its always "possible" to move at any point but it just adds more and more layers of complication. Honestly I just feel so sad at the thought of never living in the UK again (and DH feels the same) that we are really going all out to try to find a way back. Like so many here its just employment and finances that are the hurdles, but they are such high hurdles!

More and more we are becoming at peace with the idea of just renting in the UK (having stepped off the property ladder there we can not afford to buy) so that no longer feels like a hurdle but its the job for my husband that is our last barrier.

So that's our story and I look forward to knowing you all better and again thank you so much for all the great posts here its already been so helpful reading about other people's experiences.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NiHao
Finally de-lurking to say hello to everyone!

My gut has told me that basically its going to be either move in the next few years or we will be here forever as our children will by then feel firmly American and we won't want to uproot them from school further down the line etc. etc. Reading posts on here I have seen that belief confirmed, yes of course its always "possible" to move at any point but it just adds more and more layers of complication. Honestly I just feel so sad at the thought of never living in the UK again (and DH feels the same) that we are really going all out to try to find a way back. Like so many here its just employment and finances that are the hurdles, but they are such high hurdles!

Welcome! Great to hear from you.

Your gut is RIGHT!

There comes a point where it's too late to easily move the kids. Definitely once they are in ninth grade it's too late, and really they should be moved before middle school if possible.

I can tell you this from experience. Our situation was different in that my DH is American and had a good job here. To uproot the whole family and for him to find a job in the UK, as a foreigner (albeit English-speaking!) would have been an enormous undertaking.

So we didn't do it when they were small, and then it was too late. Now of course our "kids" are grown up (I know you can't imagine it, but it does happen eventually!!!) and are American, two out of three living in US and that is probably where they will stay and where any grandchildren will be.

They have turned out to be wonderful young adults, I hasten to add, as Americans, and they do have a strong sense of their English and European heritage. But...we will be for ever torn between the two countries, now.

So, for you, there is definitely an element of "it's now or never"!

Good luck, especially in the job search for your husband....difficult times everywhere.

Tina.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Breathe!
OK OK Im breathing again , thank you all so much, !!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
thank you mummy, I think you have helped me sleep tonight! To be told wait for a phone call which might not happen until Monday and dont worry, all in the same breath was a bit much
Originally Posted by trottytrue
aries..Very funny. Tag me and that will be the end of him.

Mummy in the foothills.....I went one better and had two glasses of wine. He did call and explained that everything was going well he is waiting for a call from the buyers but he did say Friday is the day the bank comes forward with the agreement. Its the deadline on the contract. Then we just have to do closing. I am so stressed I have 15 boxes sat at the side of me just full of books I had no idea I had hidden them so well. I am calling the library tomorrow before I change my mind and our daughter is coming over to put the things she has bought into the garage ready for pick up on Saturday. I have no idea what my OH is going to sleep on when she takes his beloved sofa. I cleaner the freezer out today. Number 3 mover comes tomorrow then we have to choose.
I hope you are stickying all the links and things, cause when my time comes I'm going to be a complete mess and will be asking questions that I have already answered but will be too freaked out to see straight. I'll need you all telling me to calm down and everything will be fine. That or ply me with alcohol.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Mick
Lucky you I'd love to tour by train

I think the idea of splitting time can be ideal for so many, for me the idea of that long haul flight puts me off, I really don't ever want to do it again (but probably will) I'd like to take Dh and Dd home on the QM2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.