Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:08 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

This is our 'local'. No, not pub. Tearoom! http://on.fb.me/n0ySaE
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:13 am
DDL

Slowly but surely furnishing our flat. Before and After pictures of our sitting room. Still have a way to go, but the basics are there.

William Morris 'Tree of Life' wall hanging and the draperies were brought over with us from the States. Telly, sofa and rug are new. Everything else in the room was purchased either at auction or charity shops.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-225602_10150171445524125_551029124_6828235_6628361_n.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-267214_10150270384849125_551029124_7693430_1909614_n.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-015.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-184008_10150270384954125_551029124_7693432_7577406_n.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-282574_10150270384989125_551029124_7693433_375209_n.jpg  

Last edited by DDL; Aug 14th 2011 at 12:36 am.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:26 am
DDL

And a few pictures from a recent graduation ceremony at the uni where I work: http://on.fb.me/ojs8D0

How can one NOT love a country that serves Pimm's and Strawberries & Cream at graduation?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL....Love the flat. You must have good taste, my daughter has a similar picture on the wall of her house. The one of the Knight kneeling. Her's has him sitting on a horse. She is still waiting for her Prince Charming.

Strawberries and cream with Pims. Hmmmmm. If I remember rightly you could get Pims 1, 2, 3 not sure how high up they went but in my youth i tried them all. Love the fruit they put in them.

Last edited by trottytrue; Aug 14th 2011 at 12:35 am. Reason: forgot
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:42 am
DDL

Originally Posted by trottytrue
DDL....Love the flat. You must have good taste, my daughter has a similar picture on the wall of her house. The one of the Knight kneeling.

It's called 'The Accolade' by Edmund Leighton. We got that painting (and the one on the wall to the left of the fireplace called 'The Meeting on the Turret Stairs' by Sir Frederic William Burton) for £10 each! Framed and all!

We were staying down in Bosham at a B&B that had recently had some refurbishment work done. They were selling some of their old furniture and fixtures and we saw the pictures and offered him £10 each and he sold them to us!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the pictures and the one taken of you in M&M's. You look like you could be in your twenties.
Your flat must be a converted house judging from the 12 foot ceiling. Am I right? It looks very nice.

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well today I cleared out two closets and under l bed. I wish you could see the mess. I have 6 piles of Royalty magazines all tied up ready for recycle and 6 boxes of books ready for Goodwill.I am trying not to look to close at the books or I will put them back in the keep piles and thats big enough as it is. I wouldnt mind but I already did this once.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone, It has been a long time since I posted and I just won't be able to read all the posts since I was last on.

I am back in Ayr after spending 4 months in the highlands, Inverness to be precise. I loved it there, the people are so welcoming and friendly, there are so many beautiful places of not only beauty but historical significance. I am now in the Prestwick/Ayr office and although I am enjoying it there I do want to return to Inverness to live and work.

I have purchased a car a 1998 Honda Accord, it is in immaculate condition and although it has a larger motor than most have here, (a 6 cylinder) it is a lovely car. It has all the bells and whistles, heated seats, sun roof, air con, electric driver seat, cruise control, even has washer for the headlights, all for £600. Insurance was a little more than most people pay but still less than my husband pays in Canada. It is lovely to have the ability to get in the car and go for a picnic or just for a drive. I purchased a folding chair, and a picnic hamper so that I can pack and go.

Still nothing on hubby getting over here, it is the financial aspect that is keeping him there nothing else. It is almost two years, it seems that the end will never come and it does gets fustrating for both of us, just when we should be together enjoying these years we are worlds apart. This is when I wonder if I made the right choice or if I should of waited till the house sold and then came over, but as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing, but does not really help at all.

Wee Mac is terrific and many days he gets me through some very sad and lonely days. I am so glad that I have him as I think it would be almost unbearable. Even though I have made friends since moving here, it is just not the same as when myhusband and I are together. That rythme of life that married couples achieve cannot be found anywhere or with anyone else. Well, I am on call this weekend so better get some work done, take care everyone.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing some lovely photo's Densie, it looks like you are settling in nicely and the flat looks great, I can't believe you have been here for a year already wow!! Then again at the end of this month I will have been here 6 months myself!!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hello Everyone, It has been a long time since I posted and I just won't be able to read all the posts since I was last on.

I am back in Ayr after spending 4 months in the highlands, Inverness to be precise. I loved it there, the people are so welcoming and friendly, there are so many beautiful places of not only beauty but historical significance. I am now in the Prestwick/Ayr office and although I am enjoying it there I do want to return to Inverness to live and work.

I have purchased a car a 1998 Honda Accord, it is in immaculate condition and although it has a larger motor than most have here, (a 6 cylinder) it is a lovely car. It has all the bells and whistles, heated seats, sun roof, air con, electric driver seat, cruise control, even has washer for the headlights, all for £600. Insurance was a little more than most people pay but still less than my husband pays in Canada. It is lovely to have the ability to get in the car and go for a picnic or just for a drive. I purchased a folding chair, and a picnic hamper so that I can pack and go.

Still nothing on hubby getting over here, it is the financial aspect that is keeping him there nothing else. It is almost two years, it seems that the end will never come and it does gets fustrating for both of us, just when we should be together enjoying these years we are worlds apart. This is when I wonder if I made the right choice or if I should of waited till the house sold and then came over, but as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing, but does not really help at all.

Wee Mac is terrific and many days he gets me through some very sad and lonely days. I am so glad that I have him as I think it would be almost unbearable. Even though I have made friends since moving here, it is just not the same as when myhusband and I are together. That rythme of life that married couples achieve cannot be found anywhere or with anyone else. Well, I am on call this weekend so better get some work done, take care everyone.

Hi Peigi

It's so good to hear from you and sounds like you are doing well though of course missing your hubby. I hope to goodness he gets here as quickly as possible as it can be very lonely on your own, that's true.

I know Rodney has felt it and I certainly have too as I have made no friends since being here, I had hoped I would meet people through my job but there are only 6 others there, mainly in their 20's.

Anyway your car sounds great and I never even thought of buying a folding chair and sticking it in the boot, what a great idea!!! I'll be buying one this week, thank you.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks for sharing some lovely photo's Densie, it looks like you are settling in nicely and the flat looks great, I can't believe you have been here for a year already wow!! Then again at the end of this month I will have been here 6 months myself!!
6 months?

Wow! now that really *has* flown by ...
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:31 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for the pictures and the one taken of you in M&M's. You look like you could be in your twenties.
Thanks, Cheers..

Your flat must be a converted house judging from the 12 foot ceiling. Am I right? It looks very nice.
Yes, it's a mansion house that was built in the 1920s. There's at least half a dozen of these huge houses up here on the hill that have been converted over the years and are either for sale or let.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sayersthebakers.co.uk/Abo...-Gallery/3/81/

I wish there was a Sayers near me!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
How we spent our day today: http://on.fb.me/qXBw36
I got to get myself a nice digital camera, Denise me and Mum went with my Nephew (the good one) and his wife in there car to the New Forest to day to a lovely village there called Burley, we had lunch at the only pub there, the food was really good, and they had specials for two people, lots of tasty dishes to choose from, so me and Mum had fish & chips with peas, Im not kidding this one piece of fish was so long that it covered the whole platter longways, biggest and tastiest piece of cod I have ever had Hmmmm we all had two rounds of drinks me and Nephew had a couple of pints each of really great tasting bitter,
When it was getting time to come back to Portsmouth we came through the scenic route and slower way home through Lyndhurst and Brockinghurst, two more lovely little villages in there own right, ---- driving out there they took the motorway so it only took about 45 minutes to get to Burley, but coming back it took twice that time but WOW we saw the most beautiful countryside, there all used to it but to me its gorgeous, and the New Forest is full of horses and ponies, they roam free all over, they even walk on the roads, so everyone knows this so they drive very slow and carefully through these areas,
Take care, and nice to see you come on Denise and still post now and again, sorry all no pictures
Rodney.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Peigi, Nice to hear you are still doing OK and Wee Mac is such good company. I had really hoped to hear that your Dh and the dogs were on their way it isn't much longer.

Yum Rodney, that fish and chips sounds gorgeous, I'd love to see all those ponies roaming free, what a sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.