Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by fulwood
I can ask her about Skye. I will just have to do the calling. I like my Tracphone. 45 bucks for 500 mins and have 6 mos to use those by. It works for me - i dont' really gab a lot on thephone. One reason is hardly have any friends in bloody US but Im used to it.. I fly to UK on 9/11 for 4 weeks. Not hit me yet..
Lucky you.....how exciting......have fun!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

From the horse's mouth - here's what the apple store has to say about using your Iphone worldwide (see first & second-to-last FAQ on this page):

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...AyNTQzMjI#faqs

Last edited by bandrui; Aug 5th 2011 at 12:50 am.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I had to postpone this trip 4 times so just decided if found right fare - was gonna go no matter what...It's also great fun right now watching the Dow and my miniscule 401k funds rapidly depleting - totally digressed off topic..Ive turned telly off cos it's all I am seeing on US TV..
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All. First just want to say to Rodney I hope he is feeling better after his operation and all went well.

Thankyou all for your warm thoughts. I did not want to put you through the roller coaster ride I have been on. Its been one of the worst times in my life. So much hung on the sale of the house I dont think I could bear it for everything to fall through.

Here is the update:

The house Radon was clear(air quality) we still have the radon in the water but like I said NH has the lowest passing level in the whole of NE. The buyers finally got back to the agent and said that they were fine with it. I think they might have had their own well tested and it might have been much higher. That hurdle was passed but then the water test for quality got mixed up with someone else's it turned out our's did not pass, we do have coliform in it. But that is a quick solution. The people who take care of the well are coming tomorrow and they are going to 'shock the well' and retest. Something like pouring bleach down the well and washing it out. The bacteria comes from the top soil contaminants that make there way down to the well not from the actual well water itself. At the moment I am not using the well water to drink or cook with just to be on the safe side although I do not know how long the problem has been there.

So that is the last of the tests and we are back on track. The next is the Bank Appraisal. Which should be soon. We did ask to push back the closing for 2 weeks as I could not do anything in the state I was. I felt sick all the time.

Today we went to look at another rental property which is on Rye Harbour. Its beautiful. We are meeting the estate agent on Saturday and will probably put a deposit on it if all goes well. We will move in all being well the last week in September.

I am still feeling fragile and not back to my old self but I am sure I will get there once we get the appraisal done.

I have bought a stack of stickies and will go round the house putting different colours on things I want to take back to the Uk and things I am giving to charity and stuff that is going to our children. I just need a few days rest. But I am feeling better but will not feel completely safe till we sign the contract.

I went out with Charleygirl this morning we went to SS to update our records. Then we went for coffee. She is doing much better. We had coffee in Portsmouth. It is beatiful we sat outside, there are some lovely places in the US.

It would be worth mentioning to all those thinking of selling your homes if you have a well to get the water checked and to see what types of tests are required before you sell your home. Do you need Radon tests. You can save yourself alot of worry if you get things fixed before selling.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I had to postpone this trip 4 times so just decided if found right fare - was gonna go no matter what...It's also great fun right now watching the Dow and my miniscule 401k funds rapidly depleting - totally digressed off topic..Ive turned telly off cos it's all I am seeing on US TV..
The news is very depressing - I think we will all be working for the rest of our lives. I don't think I will ever be able to retire. Have a wonderful trip back home. September is usually really nice there - it's the month I usually travel, though I won't be going this year - hopefully I will get back to the UK for a visit in September, 2012.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello All. First just want to say to Rodney I hope he is feeling better after his operation and all went well.

Thankyou all for your warm thoughts. I did not want to put you through the roller coaster ride I have been on. Its been one of the worst times in my life. So much hung on the sale of the house I dont think I could bear it for everything to fall through.

Here is the update:

The house Radon was clear(air quality) we still have the radon in the water but like I said NH has the lowest passing level in the whole of NE. The buyers finally got back to the agent and said that they were fine with it. I think they might have had their own well tested and it might have been much higher. That hurdle was passed but then the water test for quality got mixed up with someone else's it turned out our's did not pass, we do have coliform in it. But that is a quick solution. The people who take care of the well are coming tomorrow and they are going to 'shock the well' and retest. Something like pouring bleach down the well and washing it out. The bacteria comes from the top soil contaminants that make there way down to the well not from the actual well water itself. At the moment I am not using the well water to drink or cook with just to be on the safe side although I do not know how long the problem has been there.

So that is the last of the tests and we are back on track. The next is the Bank Appraisal. Which should be soon. We did ask to push back the closing for 2 weeks as I could not do anything in the state I was. I felt sick all the time.

Today we went to look at another rental property which is on Rye Harbour. Its beautiful. We are meeting the estate agent on Saturday and will probably put a deposit on it if all goes well. We will move in all being well the last week in September.

I am still feeling fragile and not back to my old self but I am sure I will get there once we get the appraisal done.

I have bought a stack of stickies and will go round the house putting different colours on things I want to take back to the Uk and things I am giving to charity and stuff that is going to our children. I just need a few days rest. But I am feeling better but will not feel completely safe till we sign the contract.

I went out with Charleygirl this morning we went to SS to update our records. Then we went for coffee. She is doing much better. We had coffee in Portsmouth. It is beatiful we sat outside, there are some lovely places in the US.

It would be worth mentioning to all those thinking of selling your homes if you have a well to get the water checked and to see what types of tests are required before you sell your home. Do you need Radon tests. You can save yourself alot of worry if you get things fixed before selling.
Thank you for letting us know Trotty...even my husband has been asking about you and what the result was. I am so verry happy that things have gone well. Take a few days to rest and relax before stating anything new, you need, and deserve, the time for yourself. I have just finished the online visa application process and feel shattered, it is quite harrowing when so much is riding on the outcome. All the Best. Elizabeth
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the update:

Well I'm glad to hear that you are taking a few days to see to yourself. It all sounds horribly stressful, I'm not looking forward to it at all. I'm also now glad we found a house on county water I was leaning towards some with wells when we looked.
everything else moves smoothly for you.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it feels so good to get up this morning to Trotty's good news. We have all been worrying about you, you know.

Well as you now know TT life will never be the same again now you have started on the roller coaster ride.........gut wrenching dips to the bottom and heart soaring climbs to the very top!! But one day (hopefully) it will all even out and we will all be on a nice little kiddies ride (fairground analogies. )

The rental sounds lovely, I will check out Rye Harbour, glad you got together with Charleygirl, another on the ride.

When you said about the well water, I was thinking of an ornamental wishing well, then Mummy mentioned it too, so it must be quite common in the USA??

Anyway doesn't matter because before you know it, you will be using British water from wherever it is that it comes from?? Lakes, reservoirs? Haven't a clue..........

Last edited by Beedubya; Aug 5th 2011 at 4:48 am.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh feels so good to get up this morning to Trotty's good news.

Well as you now know TT life will never be the same again now you have started on the roller coaster ride.........gut wrenching dips to the bottom and heart soaring climbs to the very top!! But one day (hopefully) it will all even out and we will all be on a nice little kiddies ride (fairground analogies. )

The rental sounds lovely, I will check out Rye Harbour, glad you got together with Charleygirl, another on the ride.

When you said about the well water, I was thinking of an ornamental wishing well, then Mummy mentioned it too, so it must be quite common in the USA??
Very common around us.
One of Dd's little friends at school was just hooked up to county water (like us) Their well had dried up 4 years ago (along with all the wells in the houses along their street) and it's taken this long for the pipes to reach them. All that time the Mom went twice a week to the fire station and filled up a huge container that she had in the horse trailer permanently attached to the truck.
Once they got mains water she had all this time on her hands, she didn't realize how much time she had spent filling the tanks over the years.
It all seems so primitive, she'd have been better off with a wishing well and a bucket so long as the well had water in.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the update:

Thank you so much Trotty--we've been wondering--so sorry to hear about the roller coaster and the way it's been affecting you--but SO glad the buyers are ok with the radon, and the well is apparently an easy fix.

So things are really moving along.

I know Portsmouth, have a friend there, a really lovely place, I think.

Glad you have another rental lined up.

Hope all goes smoothly from now on!

Tina
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are over this terrible hurdle now, and hopefully all will sail along for you from here on in. I know how you feel about not relaxing until contracts are signed, I would be like you and worry (I have been told by my family I worry about not having anything to worry about) GW in the next couple of weeks all will be behind you and a nice glass of wine or G&T with your feet up is in order
Denise2
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

OK you Judes and anyone else that is interested, I LIKE TO DUST MY ORNEMENTS & PICTURES etc etc with a feather duster,
Yep! that's what I do to my face when I wake up in the morning, it gets the cobwebs off!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
I got a confession, I bought an I pad and got no clue waht to do with it !! And Im too busy to bother, thinking I will have more time for such things in UK
You could sent it to me and I could figure it out.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:08 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Hello TT, I am glad things are on the move for you.

On preparations for house sale, in North Carolina and our sub-division we had the worry of

Gray plastic water pipes used throughout the house. There had been law suits on the manufacturer because of a history of the gray plastic split and flooded houses - putting people off purchasing. When we looked into it our street was of an age before the problem years of the gray plastic pies and the Realtor advised there was no need to spend thousands to get the place re-piped, and fortunately the question never came up from buyers. Phew.

Then there was the siding, made of some compressed cardboard stuff that would go soggy and collapse if water got into it. We had maintained and painted well over the years so , again, no mention from buyers. Phew again!

Radon though was not a concern, we were on city water.

Last edited by J.J; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:48 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just in rural areas - surely it must be the same in Australia? There's no way they could have laid water pipes over all that land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.