Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Huh? Well that's an odd way of looking at it.

IMHO it means that one country prefers to spend some of the taxes providing healthcare to all it's citizens and residents...and the other (mostly) couldn't give a damn.
I don't know if I didn't explain clearly but I didn't think what I said was all that odd!

I'm simply saying that I pay as much in tax here as I would in the UK, PLUS $1,400 for health care. When I go home, that $1,400 will stay in my pocket. So yes, in my mind, my health care in the UK will be "free."

btw - when I calculated my tax burden in both countries, I was including VAT. But my situation may be different from some. First, property taxes in NY are ludicrous so I will save thousands there. Second, the US has a really screwed up system of self-employment insurance when both husband and wife are self-employed. Our taxes for social security and Medicare are unbelievably high and our NI costs will be much lower. So bring on the VAT
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I used to convert US costs from $$ into ££, but I don't do that so much now, because the currency conversion varies so much and really, the realtive cost of something is related to your income....
Im the same way Dunroving, I earn Dollars not Pounds, the converting thing is ok for holidays but as a daily thing it is and unfair exchange, we should base price of goods and services against our income, its just too complicated to figure in every little cost which is what we should do to get a true cost value.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
R
I wasnt being mean by having a new Thread opened I just feel Healthcare is a really big issue I think we can learn alot but discussions can get complicated and take up vast amouts of space and when you are trying to look back and find information that is helpful to all it gets tedious and others might feel the same way wading through pages of heathcare to look for a post that someone had written on buying or giving booksmarks to information was just taking forever.
Honestly, I don't understand this.

There are lots of topics of conversation here that don't interest me and I have to skip past them to get to the stuff I want to read. I'm sure that's the same for everyone else. I just don't see how we can eliminate health care from our conversations when it's the primary driver for many people to go home.

That particular conversation was initiated by a person who is sick and worried and was discussing her situation with friends. She got lots of helpful advice and much-needed support. Is she supposed to not mention her situation again? If I am thrown off my health plan next week do I have to start a new thread?

That doesn't make any sense to me. One of my reasons for wanting to go home is health care insecurity as I get older and I know I'm not alone judging by the number of times it comes up in conversation - most recently in Rodney's post. I want to discuss that here just as some others want to discuss their house sale or what kind of car they want to buy.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 9th 2011 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to convert US costs from $$ into ££, but I don't do that so much now, because the currency conversion varies so much and really, the realtive cost of something is related to your income. If I were working in the States, I'd be on a salary in $$ that is about the same number as what I get in ££ - so getting a door lock replaced for $300 in the US would constitute about the same relative cost as getting a door lock replaced in the UK for £240 (without VAT included).

Also, I think that UPVC door locks/handles that you get in the UK are more complicated than a typical US door lock (which is much more like the "old fashioned" circular metal door locks we used to have on wooden doors here in the UK).

That's why it is difficult to asnwer posts here on cost of living - it depends on your income, not on whatever the $$/££ exchange rate happens to be at the time the question is asked ...
A couple of years ago I locked myself out of the house. A locksmith came to open the door between the garage and the house...as the garage was open and that door doesn't have the deadlocks like the outside doors do.

He placed what looked like 2 flattened rubber balloons...one above the lock and one just beneath. Then using a small hand pump he pumped it twice and the door burst open. There was no damage...I didn't need a new lock but his 5 minute visit cost $400.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Honestly, I don't understand this.

There are lots of topics of conversation here that don't interest me and I have to skip past them to get to the stuff I want to read. I'm sure that's the same for everyone else. I just don't see how we can eliminate health care from our conversations when it's the primary driver for many people to go home.

That particular conversation was initiated by a person who is sick and worried and was discussing her situation with friends. She got lots of helpful advice and much-needed support. Is she supposed to not mention her situation again? If I am thrown off my health plan next week so I have to start a new thread?

That doesn't make any sense to me. One of my reasons for wanting to go home is health care insecurity as I get older and I know I'm not alone judging by the number of times it comes up in conversation - most recently in Rodney's post.
Time to let it drop eh?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im the same way Dunroving, I earn Dollars not Pounds, the converting thing is ok for holidays but as a daily thing it is and unfair exchange, we should base price of goods and services against our income, its just too complicated to figure in every little cost which is what we should do to get a true cost value.
I think you have to do it to some extent I know I did when I went back for my 1 year trip. Otherwise you haven't a clue whether you are getting ripped off or getting the bargain of the year, it takes a while to get into the swing of things........
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

The internet is really slow right now. Anyone else notice? Maybe too many people are on it or sumit. Maybe I will reboot and see if that helps.
'Keep those cards and letters coming folks'
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Time to let it drop eh?
Actually Jersey Girl a few of us are irritated, just because one person seems to say what can and cannot be discussed here, we can talk about any other subject just not that one.

Health care is the main reason for me leaving this country, I think its a major issue but it upsets someone politically.

Just saying my piece.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think you have to do it to some extent I know I did when I went back for my 1 year trip. Otherwise you haven't a clue whether you are getting ripped off or getting the bargain of the year, it takes a while to get into the swing of things........
I'm witcha Barbara. I'm on a fixed income no matter which side of the Atlantic I'm on so I will be comparing. One thing, I may not save on specific items but there are a lot of things I won't have to buy there that I have to buy here (don't ask for examples because I can't think of any off hand.)
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Actually Jersey Girl a few of us are irritated, just because one person seems to say what can and cannot be discussed here, we can talk about any other subject just not that one.

Health care is the main reason for me leaving this country, I think its a major issue but it upsets someone politically.

Just saying my piece.
As I recall one or two folks decided the way help for returnees re.....safe house....halfway house.....should go and it was shoved off to another thread too. No in-depth discussion, no free-flowing ideas. Pissed me off. Just sayin'
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
As I recall one or two folks decided the way help for returnees re.....safe house....halfway house.....should go and it was shoved off to another thread too. No in-depth discussion, no free-flowing ideas. Pissed me off. Just sayin'
I agree, alot of us thought that was a great idea..but it got shoved away before it even began...
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
The internet is really slow right now. Anyone else notice? Maybe too many people are on it or sumit. Maybe I will reboot and see if that helps.
'Keep those cards and letters coming folks'
I think the slowness might have something to do with the interface somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.
SUPER MODERATOR

Just saying my piece.
When the subject turns to US vs UK healthcare experience tells us that the discussion usually turns into a long and often heated debate...which may have taken over this thread. There is already over 100 posts in the other thread...not counting the ones made today in this thread...therefore I feel it does warrant a separate thread.

That was the reason for splitting the thread...and not because one person suggested it.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I think the slowness might have something to do with the interface somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.
LOL like, operator malfuntion??
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by aviva
If you or anyone else have any complaints about a moderators' actions please contact Sue as stated in the Site Rules. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.