Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Can you fly British Airways to Manchester or do you have to go to London?

I know BA does sell flights to Manchester but I'm not sure if they're through another airline.

I'm with you on the heat. It's unbearable and not set to break until Sunday.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Really hot and nasty here. 100 degree's and that's not counting the humidity. I have not been on here for the past couple of days because I was not very well yesterday. I spent the day before up in the attic cleaning up the 50 mouse traps that had been put in there by the rodent chap. I should have done it sooner but forgot. I also had to clear up the mess from all the chipmunk droppings and all the acorns that were stored. I wish you could have seen my balancing on the cross beams trying to get to the mouse traps. It took me hours I had to keep coming down when I got overheated. I also had to tidy up the insulation that the chappy who put the attic stairs in just threw 'willy nilly all over the place. When I had finished I came down and took a shower but I was so drained.

I had to do it because we had the house inspection yesterday. It took him 3 house to complete the buyers came with the inspector. They looked at everything. We have not had the report yet. Our estate agent said it takes two days. It's the most nerve-wracking time. Sunday another buyer is coming to look at the place and the estate agent is bringing the Radon testers with him. They have to stay in place for 2 days. Then we have the septic system to be checked and the pest control people. This all has to be done before Thursday of next week. Have no dates yet for the last two tests. Then the bank sends an appraiser and decides if they will lend them the money. No wonder I feel ill. It's all getting too much for me.

An update on the QE 2 we had to send the deposit two days ago, my husband said it was not a good idea to do it yet as the house is not even sold yet and he said I had been to eager. We would lose the deposit if things fell through. So I called British Airways and asked their policy and they told me that they take good care of animals. My daughter looked them up and they are they only ones that have had no animal deaths recently.They keep the dogs in darkness the whole time and the area they are in is temperature controlled. I hope Gabby will be alright. This heat does not help.

So I am not at my best at the moment I feel like I am dangling on a string over the Grand Canyon
It's exhausting just reading it all.
I hope all the checks come back fine and they all sign on the dotted line.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Can you fly British Airways to Manchester or do you have to go to London?

I know BA does sell flights to Manchester but I'm not sure if they're through another airline.

I'm with you on the heat. It's unbearable and not set to break until Sunday.
I think all pets have to go in through London don't they?
From West coat BA always sends us through London.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think all pets have to go in through London don't they?
Oh no! Is that right? Our cats would be so scared after that long flight and then to have a 5-hour drive would be horrible for them.

Edited to add:

No, pets can fly to Manchester, but not on BA. Here's the site about it.

Edited to add (2): Well, maybe not. I can't see an approved airline from New York to Manchester. Oh rats. How am I going to tell my husband this?

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 22nd 2011 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh no! Is that right? Our cats would be so scared after that long flight and then to have a 5-hour drive would be horrible for them.

Edited to add:

No, pets can fly to Manchester, but not on BA. Here's the site about it.

Edited to add (2): Well, maybe not. I can't see an approved airline from New York to Manchester. Oh rats. How am I going to tell my husband this?
They will rest them at Heathrow feed them and let them loose in a pen and then put them on your forwarding flight, just pick one with a long enough lay over in London, so the guy can pick them up from the plan, get then through customs and see to them before going on to Manchester.
If you go to you tube you can watch episodes of BBC Airport where they focus on the animal control import area where you can see what it's like.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i got confused trottytrue. misread your ship details. thought your dogs were travelling by ship with you?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

fulwood...No you are correct when I booked the ticket on the QE 2 Gabby was coming with us but as we cancelled that trip home we will now be flying.

At the moment you can only fly into Heathrow with animals. That's the only route that Defra have. But starting in 2012 they may change that to include Manchester. They told me to check back after the new rules go into place. We would not put Gabby onto another plane, one flight would be enough. We will rent a car and drive up. I have a sister who lives in Watford so we will take time out to visit her. She is 92. Then we will drive up to Lancashire.

It's evening here and its still hot and humid.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Tina everytime I return home, ride over the crest and see St. Michaels Mount, my fist goes into a salute and I yell "YES" thats when I cry, I know Im home !!

That is the same with me every time I've been back . . . but seeing the sign of Devon and then Torquay!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

fulwood...No you are correct when I booked the ticket on the QE 2 Gabby was coming with us but as we cancelled that trip home we will now be flying.

At the moment you can only fly into Heathrow with animals. That's the only route that Defra have. But starting in 2012 they may change that to include Manchester. They told me to check back after the new rules go into place. We would not put Gabby onto another plane, one flight would be enough. We will rent a car and drive up. I have a sister who lives in Watford so we will take time out to visit her. She is 92. Then we will drive up to Lancashire.

It's evening here and its still hot and humid.
Trotty. What a nightmare. Better check our attic!!
I know so much about bringing/ sending pets. First time 5 with BA. In those days (1995) dogs to go in quarantine. I had worked for BEA before it became BA. Sooooo.....I sent my 5 darlings two weeks ahead of me so as to wrap up house sale and getting them set up in quarantine. Well 12 hours later I get a call from BA to say the air conditioned hold had overheated and the plane with a full payload of passengers was returning from halfway across the Atlantic and about land in Quebec. Short story......dogs stayed there for two days passengers went ahead to London. They were shipped tonLondon nd then to Belfast. Belfast quarantine is in south Belfast. Theyare amazingly nice and would let me come shampo/play/visit them. I didn't staybthebentirebsix months.......so we all headed back without incident.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit....Just look up "Home Inspections' and you will see how complicated it can be. I thought they would never leave. I asked my OH did they do such a thorough inspection when he bought this house and he said 'no' they just did a quick walk about with the owner and took a look at various things and that was it. No Radon test I know things have changed over the years but I think my OH was to eager to buy this place. I was not with him when they did all the inspections.
I am buying a crate for Gabby and going to start keeping her in it for a few hours a day. She always did stay in her regular cage when she was a puppy but she got out of the habit so I am afraid she will have to start going back into it. We do put her in her regular cage if we are going out for a long time but otherwise she comes with us. The airline crates are more enclosed than the one she has. I hope all goes well for you.

Charleygirl...I missed your call. I have been so busy and with this heat I am exhausted. Have you finished packing
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit....Just look up "Home Inspections' and you will see how complicated it can be. I thought they would never leave. I asked my OH did they do such a thorough inspection when he bought this house and he said 'no' they just did a quick walk about with the owner and took a look at various things and that was it. No Radon test I know things have changed over the years but I think my OH was to eager to buy this place. I was not with him when they did all the inspections.
I am buying a crate for Gabby and going to start keeping her in it for a few hours a day. She always did stay in her regular cage when she was a puppy but she got out of the habit so I am afraid she will have to start going back into it. We do put her in her regular cage if we are going out for a long time but otherwise she comes with us. The airline crates are more enclosed than the one she has. I hope all goes well for you.

Charleygirl...I missed your call. I have been so busy and with this heat I am exhausted. Have you finished packing
Be sure and put your baby in an airline approved crate if only for practise.
My three sleep in crates at night......breeders do. They all know their individual homes and when I say "beddies" they are gone :-)
I would never ship a dog between October and March. The temps can be too extreme.
About home inspections.....I am a real estate agent registered here in Texas since 1978, although i really dont work in the business anymore. Inspectors are just like in any other profession......really good and really crooked. Pick the
good one and one can sleep at night.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit...Thankyou for the Advice we had been thinking about late March early May I can always make it MayFunny once the house sells I dont mind waiting a bit longer. It will be like holiday nothing to do but sit around and read and do my embroidery. Cant wait. If we rent a home thats furnished we will just put all the stuff we are taking with us in storage with the moving company till we leave. The rest will go to our children and then the rest will be given to charity or sold. Now I am off to hot sticky bed.................
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:42 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
J.J. as soon as I saw your name, I had to have a read. It's great to hear from you again. Your update on the Back Home Thread was brilliant - thank you so much for your insights.

We are currently just about at the 11-month mark, so not far behind you. We are thoroughly enjoying England for all the reasons we returned for. I would say that our standard of living isn't quite what it was in the States, but it doesn't matter: we're having Afternoon Tea this Saturday beneath a Rubens ceiling at Banqueting House in London.

May I take this opportunity to publicly thank you both for all the advice/suggestions you so openly shared during the months we were planning our own return.

Take care!

Hello everyone.

I read this post of Denise's a few weeks ago and have pondered it ever since.

I was wondering what "standard of living" means to everyone when they talk about where they would like to live.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:12 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by rebeccajo

I was wondering what "standard of living" means to everyone when they talk about where they would like to live.
That's an interesting question. I suppose it usually means material things - house size, car, number of possessions, disposable income for things like holidays, treats, furnishings etc.

For us, that 'standard of living' will be higher in the UK than here because cost of living will be lower, but for many people it seems to be worse - depends where you lived in the States I think and where you head back to. (Example, DDL lived somewhere much less expensive than New York but then moved to London).

But as I've got older, I've started to include family connections, community, scenery, and friends into my calculation. Really makes a difference.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 23rd 2011 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's exhausting just reading it all.
I hope all the checks come back fine and they all sign on the dotted line.
trotty and mummy,
As I have never been a home owner in any shape or form and living in America for a long time, I never knew that you had to go through all those tests to sell a house, especially that big one that seems to check everything with a fine tooth comb the one that you said trotty took 3 hours
Do you think that England has the same sort of tests, and do you think that they would be that meticulous here,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.