Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sorry Rosie ---- just having a senior moment ---- I knew it was you just for some reason put Sallys name down
30 lashes
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Fumming.......well almost.

Rodney, you probably are aware of the US federal debt right? So I just got the mail! I got the statement from medicare and I thought I got a double billing, one for an office visit, $133 and a second one for $136 for an office visit on the same day. So I just called the doctors office and they tell me the first charge was for the doctor services and the other is for the facility use???
In other words $269 for an office visit. 30" max.
No wonder the government is broke!
You see the UK needs to become more like the US. (sarcasm intended)
Cheers how is that possible --- I thought when you contribute to medicare that all you would pay is like a small co-pay to see doctor like $20 or $30 that does not sound right to me.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well said!
Yep Jackie that goes for me too, well said.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Rodney - You really don't need to elaborate - we have all done things we are not proud of - You're back with Mother, and there's friends here waiting to greet you soon... Take Care M8
Thanks so much Don, can hardly wait to meet you both ---- soon
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Rod, I may not post often but I read and enjoy all of your posts, at times you've been the only one to keep this thread going...

We all know and like your sincere posts... You really don't have to explain yourself to us pal, not for a minute, or to people that just have an attitude problem and visit to stir it up...

Some people just get out of bed on the wrong side everyday...

Good Luck with the Operation... Fish
Fish thanks, your words are too kind, I enjoy this thread, I enjoy all the wonderful people on here, and I owe this thread and people so much, when I left Vegas to come home I said to everyone I would continue posting over here, --- and I meant it, even if the time ever comes that every single person on this thread has left and the poor thread looks like titanic going under ---- I will still be posting on here all on my own, and Ill just type a nice interesting post and then read it and reply to my own posts
Until the men in the white coats come and take me away, ha ha he he
Take care fish,
and dont be a stranger.
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 5th 2011 at 10:41 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers how is that possible --- I thought when you contribute to medicare that all you would pay is like a small co-pay to see doctor like $20 or $30 that does not sound right to me.
I could have been clearer. I got the statment from the government of how much they had to pay.

the doctor billed $136. Medicare Approved $74.96 of it. So of that they will pay 80% or $59.97 leaving $14.99 to be paid by my supplemental insurance company.
On that other bill for $217.69 (actually $153.12) I'm confused but I will not have to pay anything because I have insurance.

My point was the amount the government is having to pay out for medical care for seniors.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Mummy about hubby, you are kidding right, did he get a diagnosis?
SG, wow thats wonderful about the house, not long now.......2 weeks
Aries, kind thoughts coming your way!

Rod! You're the best.

53 days for me, and oh so so much to do.
I remember writing this same post that you have written when I only had 53 days to go ---- It does get a little overwhelming at that point, but just relax and make your to do list and just do one thing each nite or if its a big thing on your list give yourself no longer then a week to get it done, soon the list gets smaller and you feel better,
Oh and thanks for those kind words,
One thing for sure is that you AND everyone on here are the best, you have all made me fill so much better now, A BIG THANKS IS GOING OUT TO EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED TO ME TODAY
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes sorry Aries, as Sally so rightly says your post did get lost in the kerfuffle.

Just wondering what your grand "plan" is, you are selling your house, getting a plane from Adelaide to Heathrow, and then what??

Do you have family or friends to stay with in the interim and if I may ask what made you decide after 51 years in Australia you had had enough? Was there a defining moment or has it slowly chipped away at you?

I'm not sure if I would ever have been brave enough to come back here with no family or friends........I do have overwhelming admiration for those of you who do...........
Aries I second everything Barb just said about you being so brave in coming home without friends or family here, I dont think I could have done it with nobody and nothing to come home to, and I also admire everyone that do it all alone,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Turns out its a bad case of Valley Fever (thats the common name anyway) it's a cluster of cases that have popped up the CDC is tracking everyone now, so we got a call from the local health department asking him all kinds of questions.

No he was dead serious, at the time the doctors thought he had either lung cancer or leukemia. But those were ruled out so he's being treated and is much better, just have to get his one lung cleared up, but he's back to work.
Mummy please forgive me for being nosey but I just wondered how old you and hubby are? and do you plan on retiring soon? you can just tell me to mind my own business if you like
Anyway I hope your hubby makes a full recovery soon.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could have been clearer. I got the statment from the government of how much they had to pay.

the doctor billed $136. Medicare Approved $74.96 of it. So of that they will pay 80% or $59.97 leaving $14.99 to be paid by my supplemental insurance company.
On that other bill for $217.69 (actually $153.12) I'm confused but I will not have to pay anything because I have insurance.

My point was the amount the government is having to pay out for medical care for seniors.
Ahhhh thanks cheers its as clear as a bell now, can you tell me how much does medicare and all supplements cost you every month, and is there any time when you actually have to pay anything from your own pocket ----- like say you had a hernia Op would medicare pick up the whole bill? ----- and on your part D I think its called for prescriptions --- is there any time that they wont cover a specific drug,
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhhh thanks cheers its as clear as a bell now, can you tell me how much does medicare and all supplements cost you every month, and is there any time when you actually have to pay anything from your own pocket ----- like say you had a hernia Op would medicare pick up the whole bill? ----- and on your part D I think its called for prescriptions --- is there any time that they wont cover a specific drug,

Supl. Ins $154.17
Part B Medicare $96.50
Prescription Insurance $39.00
Prescription out of pocket $70.00 per month
$359.67 Total for the month
and gas is $3.569 per gallon
Thats a joke because as we have said on here before they get you on the gas there so to some degree it offsets the free NHS.
Now we all use this as a barometer but we don't know what either of our governments are going to do to change things. There are threats on each side of the pond.
At this point I think you are on the better side of the pond.
Sales tax/VAT here is around 6.25% OR 3% on food.

I think I'm going to make a spreadsheet and put down how much I will need when I land to pay each month.
Some posters can get tired of this but here are some I can remember. Rent, County tax, auto ins. auto road tax, flat insurance, food, petrol.
Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Supl. Ins $154.17
Part B Medicare $96.50
Prescription Insurance $39.00
Prescription out of pocket $70.00 per month
$359.67 Total for the month
Am I reading this correctly? Your Medicare actually costs you $359 a month as a pensioner?? Even after you and your employer have paid into it your whole life? I (naively) thought Medicare was free. How on earth do retired people afford it?

PS: Is that $359 for both of you, or per person?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Am I reading this correctly? Your Medicare actually costs you $359 a month as a pensioner?? Even after you and your employer have paid into it your whole life? I (naively) thought Medicare was free. How on earth do retired people afford it?

PS: Is that $359 for both of you, or per person?
This is one person.
I broke down the costs as money for medicare, money to pay the deductible, and money to cover part of the cost for prescriptions and then you pay out of pocket.

Yes $359 per month is a lot of money for a retired person. Thank you for waking me up. That is $718 per month for two of us.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jul 6th 2011 at 2:04 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy please forgive me for being nosey but I just wondered how old you and hubby are? and do you plan on retiring soon? you can just tell me to mind my own business if you like
Anyway I hope your hubby makes a full recovery soon.
We aren't anywhere near retirement age yet Both in our late 40's now. We still have kids at home, the little one is 6 going on 35 and the middle one is 17. I want to move and continue working in UK and be close enough to see to my Mum who is now just into her 70's and a widow.
He seems to be recovering slowly, but he's not his old hyperactive self by a long shot.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow SG, that was one fast house sale!! I bet you were shocked at how quickly things have moved along, now long now and you will be here for the great British summer (cough, cough), well it does seem a lot warmer down south than it is up here in the North, though the weekend was really lovely.

Will you be househunting in Somerset? How exciting and don't forget to put your details on the flight tracker.
Hi Barb, Yes, we were shocked at how fast we sold. I do believe this move was written in the stars, because as soon as we made the decision, everything has happened very fast and pretty smoothly too, except for the banking part! Finally got my UK HSBC account opened, after 7 weeks, but of course the postal strike didn't help. We will be looking for a house in Devon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.